PDA

View Full Version : Im in a bad spot, ignition issues, need help!

Big-J
08-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Hey everyone, I need help again in a bad way. I jumped in my 99' 4runner to grab a bite to eat (I literally have nothing in the fridge) about an hour and half ago and I'm stranded at my place. I suppose its a good place to get stranded, but I need a running vehicle by the end of the week in a bad way. I have to make a trip back home on Friday to visit my mom in NM.
So here is the issue. I put in the key to start it, and of course the wheel is locked and you have to move the wheel a little in order to unlock and turn. Once I move the wheel, the key turns enough to take the wheel out of lock, but won't turn any further. I have spent the last hour turning the key back and forth the little it does turn in the hopes I would get lucky and get a full turn in, but no such luck, I only got a blister on my finger and wondering how much this is going to cost me!
I'm hoping it as simple as just replacement ignition, but I have learned over the years even the simple stuff is expensive for one reason or another. What would be nice if someone told me there is something I can do that enables me to at least get it started once so I can drive to to my mechanic? :rolleyes: <<wishful thinking! I'll make it worth someones while if you know how to change an ignition and can do it for me, maybe we can work out some kind of deal? If I have to take it anywhere, I'm going to have to have it towed, and we all know how expensive that is.

Thanks,
J

subzali
08-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Try flipping the key over and using the other side? That's an interesting one...

Big-J
08-28-2011, 06:14 PM
I have tried that already. No dice. :(

nakman
08-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Try squirting some PB blaster in there? Or dipping the key in oil, then inserting? maybe something's stuck in there.. :confused:

Big-J
08-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Nothing, its not budging.

TIMZTOY
08-28-2011, 07:07 PM
is the key worn down ? if so have the dealer cut you a new one. you should just need the vin.

a worn down key, can cause a butt load of issues.. its a cheap fix, and if it dosent fix it, well then you have a spare.. lol

Big-J
08-28-2011, 07:27 PM
I didn't think my key had that much ware, but after digging for my spare for a good half hour and trying it out, it appears that it had enough ware to not work anymore....the spare worked!!!
I can't tell you how much of a relief this is on a couple levels, thanks for the suggestions, I needed your clear minds to point me in the right direction! Problem solved and I didn't have to spend a dime.

TIMZTOY
08-28-2011, 09:45 PM
no problem :thumb: .. its always the simplest things that ALWAYS get over looked.. and that ppl never think about. like a fuse... lol

simps80
08-28-2011, 11:23 PM
i have this problem on my sienna
it's gotten to the point now where i have a 'hide=a=key' in the damn car to carry multiple keys

glad it all worked out for you

TIMZTOY
08-29-2011, 07:50 AM
i have this problem on my sienna
it's gotten to the point now where i have a 'hide=a=key' in the damn car to carry multiple keys

glad it all worked out for you

your issue is problly the ignition switch if your fumbling through diffrent keys all the time..unless your fumbling through all worn keys.. lol

Corbet
08-29-2011, 09:11 AM
I'd get a new key cut never the less so you have a spare.

FYI, if you ever go to the dealer for a key with the VIN take your registration or title with you. (this is only if you don't present a key in hand). They should not cut a key without one of the 3.