PDA

View Full Version : 94 Fzj-80 Failed Emissions

Snowrun
08-31-2011, 05:46 PM
So here is the readout. I have a long list of things to check Treeroot recommended today that may help with isolating the issue.
1. Checking the throttle position sensor.
2. 02 sensors
3. ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor.
4. Temps on the cats

If figured while I was in there I might as well ask for anymore suggestions of things I should check.

The truck is a 94 fzj 80 here are the particulars.
1. New O2 sensors 8 months
2. New head gasket (OEM) 1.5 years ago.
3. Valves all adjusted a few months back
4. Oil change that morning with mobile one 5w30 synthetic
5. Drove for 50 miles on the highway before going to the test station
6. Ran 87 octane gas
7. Ran a bottle of Lucas deep clean fuel system through on the prior tank.
8. I am currently running 33 inch Toyos
9. Recently washed the air filter

Anything to add to the test list or suggestions would be appreciated. I have been reading through all of the historical threads and I am pretty convinced it is cats, however you guys might see something different in the data.

nuclearlemon
08-31-2011, 08:30 PM
do people not listen to me....2 bottles of heet on a half a tank of fuel.:blah::blah::blah:

i was high on the same thing the first time and it was the only time i've ever gone through emissions without using heet.;)

of course, i was a heck of a lot closer on the ranges.

Snowrun
08-31-2011, 09:15 PM
Red or yellow?

treerootCO
08-31-2011, 10:06 PM
Red...I thought we discussed this? :hill:

You also swapped the charcoal canister

When I go to the emissions place, I over inflate the tires for less rolling resistance, change the oil, install new air filter, time the engine to spec, make sure all electrical devices are off for them to test, open all windows and sunroof(they don't throttle it as much if they can hear the engine/tires), drive a minimum of 50 miles on a new tank of gas, empty out the rear drawers, remove the spare tire, and add two bottles of Heet (Red bottle) to the tank. I also have a new gas cap sitting on the shelf because that really burns me when I pass and they fail me on the cap.

Snowrun
08-31-2011, 11:27 PM
Red...I thought we discussed this? :hill:

Some people like ketchup on a hot dog and some people like mustard. I thought may be you didn't like mustard.

:D

Snowrun
09-02-2011, 02:06 AM
Well I started the list of tests and so far I have three failures. The EGR VSV was stuck closed and the impedance was at 64 ohms instead of the 30-34 range the FSM recommends. Also the EGR vacuum modulator was not functional at all. The diaphragm will not move, of course it also failed the FSM tests. Then last and hopefully the final failure was a crunchy hose that went from a T junction into the intake manifold had a number of cracks that rendered it useless.
I should have it put back together in the AM and tested by the end of the day.
Wish me luck.

treerootCO
09-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Let me know if you need any help. If you have the clamshell off, test the voltage on the ECT. I would also check the TPS to make sure it is within spec. We still need to determine why your engine runs so hot as well. Did you want to redo your fan clutch? We can run the Robby test on it to see if it moves any air.

Jacket
09-02-2011, 09:10 AM
I also have a new gas cap sitting on the shelf because that really burns me when I pass and they fail me on the cap.

Yea - that happened to me last time with the 80. I passed all the emissions tests, and then he decided my gas cap wasn't sealing. Sucks to have to go back through the whole process for a stinkin' gas cap....

wesintl
09-02-2011, 10:31 AM
last time I got the renewal in the mail and I passed the roadside tests. Now I have to take it in this month. Not looking forward to it.

Snowrun
09-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Well it failed again. :mad: (yes i used 2 bottles of red HEET). Also checked the timing and it was at 3degrees with the paper clip in.
So it looks like the VSV and vacuum module had the most effect on HC.
Being that the 94 has parallel CATS what are the thoughts on swapping out just one CAT? Also I noticed on this print out the printer shifted the red line to the left a bit.
(I will probably swap out the other after my next payday)

BTW I really like the testing station in Dacono. It has two four wheel drive lanes and the frontage road right up to the front of the building is 55 mph so you can keep your CATS hot.

subzali
09-02-2011, 01:53 PM
wow, you're so close.

New spark plugs/cap/rotor?

Snowrun
09-02-2011, 01:58 PM
wow, you're so close.

New spark plugs/cap/rotor?

I did all three about a year and a half ago. I pulled it apart to clean the inside out and it still looks new inside.

rover67
09-02-2011, 02:18 PM
i might just throw more HEET in and try it again.....

treerootCO
09-02-2011, 02:28 PM
It looks to me like it missed twice. Once at 150 seconds into the test and another at 185 and that was enough to fail the test. We can see about cooling down your engine and maybe just run 91 octane to cover any detonation due to higher operating temps.

Snowrun
09-02-2011, 04:04 PM
It looks to me like it missed twice. Once at 150 seconds into the test and another at 185 and that was enough to fail the test. We can see about cooling down your engine and maybe just run 91 octane to cover any detonation due to higher operating temps.
Sounds like a plan. I went a head and ordered a CAT from Beno so can put that on the truck as well. Also next time I will probably use 3 or 4 bottles of Heet.
:thumb:

Uncle Ben
09-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Sounds like a plan. I went a head and ordered a CAT from Beno so can put that on the truck as well. Also next time I will probably use 3 or 4 bottles of Heet.
:thumb:

You bought a stock cat? That's like nearly double what you paid (stole) your Cruiser for isn't it?

Snowrun
09-02-2011, 09:25 PM
You bought a stock cat? That's like nearly double what you paid (stole) your Cruiser for isn't it?
:thumb: My tires actually cost me more than I paid for the whole rig.

wesintl
09-09-2011, 02:43 PM
I just got back from emissions testing on the 80. half tank of premium and two bottles of ketchup heet burned down to almost E. I think my numbers were half as low as they were 4 years ago. 2 years ago the road side tests were fine.

.88 HC
3.3 CO
.42 Nox

Sweeet! I passed.

Snowrun
09-09-2011, 03:02 PM
I just got back from emissions testing on the 80. half tank of premium and two bottles of ketchup heet burned down to almost E. I think my numbers were half as low as they were 4 years ago. 2 years ago the road side tests were fine.

.88 HC
3.3 CO
.42 Nox

Sweeet! I passed.
Congrats :thumb: It is good to see that another 80 will stay on the road.

I received a CAT in the mail yesterday from Beno and I can't decide to put it on the truck or wait until I get the second one next month..... I am worried about running one cat the flows freely and one that is most likely clogged up.

Bikeman
09-15-2011, 03:47 PM
I just had my LX tested, half tank of fresh gas and 1 bottle heat, passed well with 170K on stock cats.

Snowrun
09-15-2011, 03:59 PM
I just had my LX tested, half tank of fresh gas and 1 bottle heat, passed well with 170K on stock cats.
:thumb: I'm Jealous. The second CAT should be in next week. I am anxious to get this whole mess behind me.

Snowrun
09-25-2011, 02:04 PM
It finally passed!!!
So here are the numbers after swapping out both Cats.
I am still not happy with the CO number. It seems like that is still a bit high. (I plan on testing the PAIR reed Valve this week)
Any ideas how to drop that number? (I don't want to have to go through this again in 2 years)

BobinDenver
09-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Glad to hear that things eventually worked out!

I'm having NOx trouble myself. After the first fail, Toy Car Care suggested new CATs. Quoted me $3,300 for P,L+T. I'm going with Plan B (then C, D, and E) before moving on to full CAT replacement. This thread and some others have been very helpful for those plans.

Thanks in advance!

Snowrun
09-27-2011, 01:46 PM

I'm having NOx trouble myself. After the first fail, Toy Car Care suggested new CATs. Quoted me $3,300 for P,L+T. I'm going with Plan B (then C, D, and E) before moving on to full CAT replacement. This thread and some others have been very helpful for those plans.

Thanks in advance!

I may ask Treeroot if he wants to get together and make some youtube videos on how to troubleshoot each of the components involved.
I would check the EGR, EGR vacuum module and VSV before putting on cats.
All three are pretty straight forward to test and a lot cheaper than cats.

Do you have a green top or blue top EGC vacuum modulator? (The green tops have a filter that can get plugged)

3300 for cats seems very high. There isn't much to swapping them out. I ordered 2 from CruiserDan and it only took a couple of hours to swap them out.
(I had to cut off all of the bolts with a sawsall)

Bikeman
09-27-2011, 10:57 PM

Thanks in advance!

I was quoted less than $700 for 2 cats installed from A&A Performance Muffler. Toy Car Care has always been waaay high on quotes I've received over the years.

treerootCO
09-29-2011, 11:15 AM
The Ptarmigan passed :)

Sporting FJC E-tires. :thumb:

Ambient temperature 55F
Intake temperature 67F
Engine temperature 177F
91 octane
55 highway miles prior to the test with cruise set to 2100 rpm

Numbers from 2 years ago:

35s on an FJC :cool:

sleeoffroad
09-29-2011, 12:03 PM
I think you should leave it like that.

treerootCO
09-29-2011, 12:25 PM
How many lug nuts does a Prius have?

treerootCO
10-08-2013, 08:27 AM
You're up John. When do you want to run yours through?

Snowrun
10-08-2013, 09:17 AM
I am hoping this week. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Snowrun
10-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Passed on my first try this year :)
Myself and Treeroot cleaned the MAF,changed the oil,changed the air filter and ran a couple bottles of Red Heet with 91 octane.
Also I think it helped that it was around 40 degrees out.
(Sorry for the sideways photo) Darn iPhones.
The truck has never ran better.

simps80
10-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Nice!!:thumb: