PDA

View Full Version : 1993 FZJ80 Head Gasket Getting Replaced

Inukshuk
08-31-2011, 11:47 PM
Well, it happened. :eek: On the way to the mall no less (Best Buy). Rough running, temp increasing (never got to red), loss of some power. Pulled into a Target lot and called :robbie: and then a tow truck. Coolant was overflowing bottle, vapor from tailpipe, warmer than normal under-hood but not real hot. 225,000 on the ODO.

Flatbed tow Truck: $110.00 :( New Headgasket: $2,200.00. :( Driving yourself onto the flatbed tow truck: Priceless. :) Land Cruiser - Drive a legend.

Since it will take a few weeks, I thought no Outlaws Run for me, but the guys stepped up huge and right away offered a ride to my passenger, Perry. Then me. They insisted. :risingsun

While there I'll do:
plugs
cap & rotor
all coolant hoses
PS pump rebuild
PS hoses
vac lines

Lets hope the bottom is good.

cool breeze
09-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Better best buy than bfe!

How's the life of the cooling system been?

Snowrun
09-01-2011, 12:39 AM
Sorry to hear about the HG. Hopefully everything will be up and running like new soon.

SteveH
09-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Bummer about the cash outlay, but the truck and situation owe you nothing - congrats on a convenient breakdown. I tell people 'I work on my cars so much in my garage so that I don't have to work on them at the side of I-25 with cars whizzing past'

Inukshuk
09-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Better best buy than bfe!
How's the life of the cooling system been?

Heck yeah.

Sorry to hear about the HG. Hopefully everything will be up and running like new soon.

Thx!

Bummer about the cash outlay, but the truck and situation owe you nothing - congrats on a convenient breakdown. I tell people 'I work on my cars so much in my garage so that I don't have to work on them at the side of I-25 with cars whizzing past'

Yes, that is very true. About a month ago the steering arm studs told me the same story and I noticed the looseness in my driveway. Already had the spares and rebuilt the knuckle the following weekend. The HG was on my radar screen but I was not concerned. I'm now a believer. Do it! :cheers:

subzali
09-01-2011, 12:44 PM
225K before a blown head gasket isn't bad IMO.

corsair23
09-01-2011, 12:53 PM
225K before a blown head gasket isn't bad IMO.

x2 - That means I've got another 90K+ miles on both of mine before I need to worry :hill:

nakman
09-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Mine went at 115k guys..

So Daniel is :robbie: doing your headgasket? Are you going to also do some shave the head, bore out the cylinders, install supercharger kinda upgrades? You know, as long as you're in there..

1loudLX
09-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Are you going to also do some shave the head, bore out the cylinders, install supercharger kinda upgrades? You know, as long as you're in there..

this.

DanS
09-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Bad head gasket? Diesel it!

That's how I ended up with the first one: an oil leak led to an engine swap!

Dan

Beater
09-01-2011, 08:47 PM
no, you can't borrow the cabriolet.

Inukshuk
09-02-2011, 09:28 AM
no, you can't borrow the cabriolet.

Doh! But I need wheels!

Mine went at 115k guys..

So Daniel is :robbie: doing your headgasket? Are you going to also do some shave the head, bore out the cylinders, install supercharger kinda upgrades? You know, as long as you're in there..

Yes :robbie: :wrench: :thumb:

We won't know if the bottom is bad till the head is off and I'm hoping to not redo that. Funds are a consideration. I figure a refreshed head, injectors, hoses, etc., will make it feel like new anyway and it has always had enough power for me. What else are my options while its apart?

DanS
09-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Doh! But I need wheels!

If you do, don't hesitate to ask. We could probably work something out with the Guzzler. We have 4 (four) vehicles parked in the driveway right now for just my wife and I.

Dan

Inukshuk
09-03-2011, 09:12 AM
If you do, don't hesitate to ask. We could probably work something out with the Guzzler. We have 4 (four) vehicles parked in the driveway right now for just my wife and I.

Dan

Thanks! Another fine example of RS having each others backs. I have a friend living in DC for a while who still keeps a pathfinder here so its mine as long as needed for the low price of insurance. I was just making a play for the Porsche. :thumb: Drove a brand new Jaguar last night. Very nice.

Dr. Schlegs
09-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Doh! But I need wheels!

Yes :robbie: :wrench: :thumb:

We won't know if the bottom is bad till the head is off and I'm hoping to not redo that. Funds are a consideration. I figure a refreshed head, injectors, hoses, etc., will make it feel like new anyway and it has always had enough power for me. What else are my options while its apart?

Stroke it. :p: You could drop a bigger engine in to it.

BreckBJ44
09-03-2011, 02:21 PM
I may be bringing in a container of diesel engines this winter. If the bottom end is bad, let me know if you'd like a diesel to drop in...

That sucks about the HG, but at least you were somewhere where you could pull over and get a tow. On the outlaws run would have been a lot worse...

Rzeppa
10-03-2011, 04:10 PM

X2 on that!

Saturday morning I started the 60 up in the garage and a belt was squealing like crazy. :Princess: asked what's that? I said...probably seized smog pump. Sure 'nuff that's what it was.

Stevinson wanted $1,350 for new OEM so I ended up getting a crappy Cardon reman from NAPA. But at least that should last for a while. And I gave him my daughter's seized pump for core, so I have my old one to rebuild. Stevinson says Toyota doesn't make a rebuild kit, so does anyone know where to get the parts?

But at the end of the day, breaking down in the garage sure beats the alternative. Oh and yes, I drove her to work today! :thumb:

SteveH
10-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Hijack continued - Jeff - SOR is paying (up to?) $100 in SOR credit for FJ60 smog pump cores (unmolested) - http://www.sor.com/sor/cat048c.tam#smogcore

wesintl
10-03-2011, 08:32 PM
put the locked axles under the thing...

Inukshuk
10-03-2011, 09:40 PM
put the locked axles under the thing...

Thought has crossed my mind, but then I found out that two cruiser axles weigh more than a Thing!

Rzeppa
10-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Hijack continued - Jeff - SOR is paying (up to?) $100 in SOR credit for FJ60 smog pump cores (unmolested) - http://www.sor.com/sor/cat048c.tam#smogcore

Yoiks! So they can rebuild it themselves and charge $619! My Haynes shows how to disassemble and reassemble, and wear limits for the carbon vanes, etc. So I wonder where SOR and Cordon get their replacement internal parts?