PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cross with CLC

Uncle Ben
09-01-2011, 07:45 AM
It's that time of year again! The plan is to do Holy Cross the weekend of Sept 17th. The last time we did this with them it was a really good time! It can be done as an over-nigher or day trip. I will camp as I'm sure it will be the last summer camp-out I'll be able to do this year. Over night you can take a night run up HC which is also a kick in the pants. Who in?

Last time we even had a petting zoo for entertainment!
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=17165&stc=1&d=1266420068

SROR/AKA 2BAD
09-01-2011, 07:50 AM
thats a big ass rabbit!!!! :eek:

Uncle Ben
09-01-2011, 07:52 AM
thats a big ass rabbit!!!! :eek:

Its actually a very rare "Woofalope!"

Jacket
09-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Last time we even had a petting zoo for entertainment!

And a couple of inches of snow on our tents the next morning.....

I'd love to go again, but that's a tough weekend for me. I'll either be in Moab supporting a bike race, or shuttling two kids around town.

Uncle Ben
09-01-2011, 06:34 PM
And a couple of inches of snow on our tents the next morning.....

I'd love to go again, but that's a tough weekend for me. I'll either be in Moab supporting a bike race, or shuttling two kids around town.

Bummer! Always an Epic time! I'm hoping that we can come up with a plan so we can enhance the plan with a great evening cookout again!

Convert
09-02-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm Interested :thumb:

Romer
09-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Ill be in Maui then. I would say sorry I missed it, but . . . . . Maui

Uncle Ben
09-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Ill be in Maui then. I would say sorry I missed it, but . . . . . Maui

Maui Smaui.... :rolleyes: In a year or two you only remember the misearble 6 hour flights and how expensive it was while we'll be still grinning and not talking about what we did on the HC w/CLC trips! ;) Ohhhh....I just remembered what you drive now....never mind.... :D

Red_Chili
09-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Dang it, we have a neighborhood BBQ in the new digs then. It would make a great elk hunting semi-scouting trip too. The woofalope now lives in my ex's place... so all I could bring would be the Ty-wabbit for petting zoo entertainment.

Too bad, too, because he loves singalongs. He thinks he is related to Buck, in Call of the Wild. WooooOOOooooooo.... I've not told him he is a half-size Sheltie, but he probably wouldn't believe me anyway.

Hey, I heard the return road is *completely* washed out at or near Fancy Creek (the NE - SW road that peels you off Holy Cross at the top end of the one-way section). That is pretty recent too, and apparently the Ranger Station indicated it would not be repaired this year. Anybody heard any updates?

Air Randy
09-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Dee and I would be interested too but already have a commitment that weekend.

Since a bunch of other folks have conflicts too, how about moving it back 1 week?

Uncle Ben
09-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Obviously, this is not the most ideal weekend for this always epic run but we are invited guests so it is what it is. I'm still torn whether I'm headed up Friday evening and headed home Saturday afternoon or if I head up early Sat and come home Sun mid morning....decisions....decisions....

bvb
09-05-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm needing to push to go Saturday-Sunday as I will be returning late Friday from out of town. This will really is a great time!:beer:

Uncle Ben
09-12-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm needing to push to go Saturday-Sunday as I will be returning late Friday from out of town. This will really is a great time!:beer:

Bill et al, how soon can you make it up Saturday? Since I'm impatient and am anal about being organized and having a plan I'm not waiting for official plans from our gracious and awesome hosts. I'm planning on heading up late Friday afternoon. My plan is to get up there and hopefully get the same spot to camp as we have had the last few times, pitch the tent and set up camp. After dinner I plan on doing a night run at least up to French Creek, get back kick up the feet and enjoy the time of season with a few Oktoberfest barley pops and then snuggle up in the mummy bag for the night. Depending on when you or other Saturday folks get there I would love to hit HC early then get back and head home. That would save me a couple wife points and get something done Sunday before I go to some good friends to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary Sunday afternoon.

Personal message but obvious relevance :thumb::thumb: to the tread.... ;)

nuclearlemon
09-13-2011, 06:12 AM
i'm off work at 4 friday and can head out shortly afterwards

Uncle Ben
09-13-2011, 07:27 AM
i'm off work at 4 friday and can head out shortly afterwards

Awesome Ige! Thank you so much for responding to this post!

waggoner5
09-13-2011, 07:35 AM
I am going to try to leave out by about 3 on Friday. Not sure yet.

Uncle Ben
09-13-2011, 07:38 AM
I am going to try to leave out by about 3 on Friday. Not sure yet.

Very cool!

Uncle Ben
09-13-2011, 06:56 PM
I think i'll make a crock pot full of Elk stew for Friday....sound good?

nuclearlemon
09-13-2011, 08:02 PM
sounds awesome, i'll bring stuff for s'mores

Uncle Ben
09-14-2011, 06:13 PM
So it appears that my plan is the plan. :rolleyes: From RS it appears there will be 3 of us all converging on the campsite before the trailhead Friday evening. I would venture to say I, and maybe a couple folks, might be there as early as 6ish. I am bringing a crock pot full of hearty Elk stew to share for any and all who show up Friday eve. Sounds like Ige has desert covered. I (we) will do a night run at least up to French Creek Friday night (at least once :lmao:) If you are intending on going please speak up so we know to wait for you Saturday morning before we do the full run. Depending on how cold it is Friday night and how early (late) we tuck under the heavy sleeping bags I'm certain we will try and beat the traffic on the trail Sat morning and get a somewhat early start.

ajax
09-16-2011, 04:27 PM
bunch guys from crested butte going to run it too, i cant make it but the guys from c b will be sky high offroad, have good time! camping up there tonight

Uncle Ben
09-17-2011, 07:26 PM
bunch guys from crested butte going to run it too, i cant make it but the guys from c b will be sky high offroad, have good time! camping up there tonight

We seen them late today....great group of wheelers! Thank you sooooo much Trevor and CLC for another Epic Holy Cross in September campout! Can't wait for next September! :thumb::thumb:

FJBRADY
09-18-2011, 08:45 AM
We seen them late today....great group of wheelers! Thank you sooooo much Trevor and CLC for another Epic Holy Cross in September campout! Can't wait for next September! :thumb::thumb:

Need pictures,por favor! No life honey do weekend for me.....:(

Uncle Ben
09-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Need pictures,por favor! No life honey do weekend for me.....:(

Pics coming.....