PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Conversion Kit for MIG welder

Rezarf
09-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Has anyone here tried the aluminum converter kit for the Lincoln/Miller welders. It consists of a plastic sleeve in the feed tube, and a round groove wire drive wheel verses a v-notched wire drive wheel.

The kits are around $75 bucks, add the right gas and theory says you are welding aluminum.

Is this too good to be true?

It'd be nice to swap out for a few aluminum project ideas rolling around in my head.

AxleIke
09-02-2011, 08:55 AM
One of the reasons I like my new unit is that it can take a drive roll gun. I don't trust the Full length kits, as the wire is so soft.

However, I haven't tried it. Go for it! 75 bucks isn't too much and if it works, you can be happy to have saved the 125 extra that the drive roll units cost.

rover67
09-02-2011, 09:01 AM
I've only used the guns, and those worked pretty good.

Beater
09-02-2011, 09:09 AM
they work, but not well. The issue is the maleability (sp) of the aluminum wire. Guns push/pull, keeping the filler tight and preventing bird nesting in the machine. you may borrow my lincoln set up if you wish, I have it laying around somewhere. One trick that does work, is to put an appliance style bulp wired into the machine to keep the wire warm. it reduces nesting, but it will still happen. you can also pre-heat your filler to about 120-140 degrees, and that will help as well.

I needed my mig to be portable for my style of welding, and on lincoln machines, the little migs don't have feeds, so I have the kit for emergencies/portable jobs on aluminum. I keep pure argon on the same rack for my tig, so it works out for short beads.

If your machine will take a gun, save up and buy that. IF you will be doing a lot of AL.