PDA

View Full Version : Charging System Help

AHorseThief
09-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Yesterday my :Princess: and I did a little electrical cleaning up on the 40. I cleaned up some ground points around the rear tail lights in hopes that my backup circuit would decide to go (it didn't). My :Princess: cleaned the fuse block and relocated a wire from its PO installed position, wrapped around the fuse, to its rightful location in the plug on the back of the fuse block.

This morning we were scheduled to head up Oh-My-God road for a shakedown trip. The cruiser did not want to start. We jumped it to get it going. I pulled out the volt meter and checked and I was only getting 12.2 volts. I figured that the alternator must have fried before I got the battery cables pulled while the :Princess: was cleaning the fuse block.

Got a new alternator, put it in and still nada. No charging going on in the circuit. From there I went to the voltage regulator. It looks like this.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6194/6114380230_d7115edb5b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/goofyat210/6114380230/)

I should have a new one tomorrow, but don't know much about external voltage regulator function. Will this solve my issues, or should I be looking elsewhere?

AHorseThief
09-04-2011, 06:17 PM
I forgot to ask. What is the little silver doohickey that plugs into the voltage regulator and grounds on the firewall under the voltage regulator screw?

subzali
09-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Are you sure you need an external voltage regulator for that alternator? I know we talked about this, but I just wanted to check again.

For less headaches, go solid state VR and don't go back. I think the silver doohicky is called the ballast resistor or something like that. The fellas on MUD can explain it better than me.

AHorseThief
09-04-2011, 10:40 PM
It's most definitely a Toyota alternator with external voltage regulation. At some point I'll change out the bracket and upgrade, but I was just trying to get back up and running this morning and now that I'm $35 into it I figure I'll just spend the other $25 and see if that gets me there.

At this point I'm just trying to get back on the road.

I think you're right on the silver thingamabob. It's just there to smooth things out. I think I'll clean up the old one and reinstall. The new alternator looked to have one installed on its backside as well.

L43dean
09-04-2011, 11:17 PM
I gather your not taking other peoples horses any longer, and if so, what model year is your 40?

AHorseThief
09-05-2011, 12:15 AM
It's a '73 with a 327 conversion. Charging system is still stock however.

L43dean
09-05-2011, 01:15 PM
It is probably something simple. Check for clean shiny connections on both ends of both battery cables. Especially down at the starter, where is the starter on a 327 anyway? On my F-145 it was corroded,oily and covered in years of grime. How is the battery, can you switch it out with another from your parts chaser? It's labor day, take it easy.

AHorseThief
09-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Got the voltage regulator in and now I can't get the thing to start. It'll turn over all day long (well until the battery runs out of juice), but it doesn't want to go. I'm gonna take a break and drink a beer and maybe the answer will come to me.

L43dean
09-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Hang in there Nick. Check the small wires and their connections on the positive and negative terminals on your coil. I had one wire crimp break on me last week en-route to Argentine pass. The motor just quit. It would crank, but no start no fire till Kevin and I spotted the loose wire in space. Remember, air/fuel/spark. Good luck!!! Dean.

AHorseThief
09-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Well the time honored method of cracking a :beer: and thinking about what I'd done paid off. The issue seemed to be fuel pressure so I started there. The outlet off of my fuel pump is a compression fitting to hard tube that runs right behind the alternator.

When I moved this line away from the alternator I caused a leak at that fitting. I readjusted and tightened the fitting and vroom.

So let that be a lesson...if you're stuck and can't figure out the problem, go grab a :beer:. Now if only they'd let me do that at work.

subzali
09-05-2011, 03:05 PM
so you good now?

AHorseThief
09-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Never been better. There's a higher than average chance that the voltage regulator was the source of my problems.

L43dean
09-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Bravo! You found it!

TIMZTOY
09-06-2011, 07:40 PM
I forgot to ask. What is the little silver doohickey that plugs into the voltage regulator and grounds on the firewall under the voltage regulator screw?

thats the thingiemajigger.. it regulates the stipulating, for the kanooter