PDA

View Full Version : Crested Butte Sept 10th - 18th.

source3
09-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Hello Folks:

My wife and I are headed to Crested Butte on Sept. 10th and would like to check out Pearl and possibly Taylor Pass. I have never wheeled in this area and I have read on this forum that there is a member who is retired and lives in the area. Perhaps this member would have some free time and wants to go wheeling? Obviously, the invitation is open to all. However, I just do not have a dedicated date.

The plan is to leave ABQ on the 10th and head through Pagosa Springs, Creede, Lake City, and work our way toward Crested Butte. We may be stopping along the way and hiking. We will mostly be truck camping.

My best estimate is to arrive in the Crested Butte area either on Sunday and Monday. We will probably explore some hiking trails (we have hiked and biked in this area many years ago; never wheeled) and then perhaps go check out Pearl/Taylor mid-week (Wednesday?).

This is the first time the FJ40 will be on an actual trip since I started working on it after I purchased it in April '09. Having someone along going up Pearl pass would be some nice reassurance, aside safety.

I will be monitoring channel 4, 146.46, and the local repeaters.

I believe DanS might be able to get away early in the week, perhaps Tuesday would work as I told him I would try to accomodate is schedule so that he could make a run.;)

FJBRADY
09-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Hello Folks:

My wife and I are headed to Crested Butte on Sept. 10th and would like to check out Pearl and possibly Taylor Pass. I have never wheeled in this area and I have read on this forum that there is a member who is retired and lives in the area. Perhaps this member would have some free time and wants to go wheeling? Obviously, the invitation is open to all. However, I just do not have a dedicated date.

The plan is to leave ABQ on the 10th and head through Pagosa Springs, Creede, Lake City, and work our way toward Crested Butte. We may be stopping along the way and hiking. We will mostly be truck camping.

My best estimate is to arrive in the Crested Butte area either on Sunday and Monday. We will probably explore some hiking trails (we have hiked and biked in this area many years ago; never wheeled) and then perhaps go check out Pearl/Taylor mid-week (Wednesday?).

This is the first time the FJ40 will be on an actual trip since I started working on it after I purchased it in April '09. Having someone along going up Pearl pass would be some nice reassurance, aside safety.

I will be monitoring channel 4, 146.46, and the local repeaters.

I believe DanS might be able to get away early in the week, perhaps Tuesday would work as I told him I would try to accomodate is schedule so that he could make a run.;)

That would be Terry Tubb. His forum name is ttubb, send him a PM.

Have fun

ttubb
09-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Hi Andrew. I live in CB in the summer and would be happy to wheel with you when you get up here. I won't be available to go until about 9/14. I will pm you my phone number and we can hook up later. Also in the area is a fellow named Ryan with an 80, forum name AJAX. You might PM him too. Terry

ajax
09-06-2011, 08:14 PM
i can go sometime wiht ya have to check my schedule i got your phone call give me call when u get here

source3
09-06-2011, 08:22 PM
i can go sometime wiht ya have to check my schedule i got your phone call give me call when u get here

Will do. Thanks.

ajax
09-09-2011, 05:55 PM
can run sat or sun let me know my parents r in town so i dont know bout doing pearl and taylor together thats a long day, but we can figure something out, i was thinking of taking them up taylor to the lakes

source3
09-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Well...of to a late start. Friday ended up being a work day so I had to pack this morning. Did one last check under the hood before pulling out of the driveway around 1pm and noticed my lower radiator hose was cracking in a variety of places! The hose is only 8 months old. Must have been a bad batch or something?

So, went on over to visit Cruiser Dan to pickup rad. hose, a new thermostat (Napa), gaskets etc. [I put a new radiator in from Radiator Barn and my temp gauge is running 1/2 to 2/3. I always ran around 1/2 so I thought that the thermostat was going bad. Nope, still run 1/2 to 2/3 on temp gauge]. In addition, the new radiator drain plug halfway aligned with the drain hole in the lower shroud. So I had to loosen the radiator support. What a pain to do a simple radiator drain.

Anyway...I will be leaving tomorrow morning (Sunday). I will try to post up tomorrow to let Ryan and Terry know my location for a possible meetup sometime or another.

source3
09-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Spent last few days up paradise canyon. Head to Aspen the highway as it is raining rather doing Pearl or Taylor pass.

ttubb
09-15-2011, 07:56 AM
Good plan, Andrew. It is raining in CB and there is snow on the mountain tops. Pearl would not be a good idea now.
Sorry we did not get to connect. I was in Arkansas taking care of my grandkids this week while my son went to a wedding. Terry

ajax
09-16-2011, 01:34 PM
oh come on the snow on pearl would be fun not that deep!

ttubb
09-16-2011, 04:17 PM
oh come on the snow on pearl would be fun not that deep!

No, not after you and I shoveled it off! :D:D

ajax
09-16-2011, 04:23 PM
going to take my mom over cinnamon or engineer tomorrow if you want to come< going to ouray dont care which pass we take if you want to come figured stop at animas forks for my mom to take pics, then either california to poughkeepsie or mineral creek all the way down to ouray

ttubb
09-16-2011, 04:33 PM
going to take my mom over cinnamon or engineer tomorrow if you want to come< going to ouray dont care which pass we take if you want to come figured stop at animas forks for my mom to take pics, then either california to poughkeepsie or mineral creek all the way down to ouray

Love to but we have company coming over......T

DanS
09-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Glad to see you're out and about Andrew!

Yeah, I see snow on the divide now, so it's getting to be that time of year (and the birch in Idaho Springs is turning, but the Aspens are still holding out).

Dan