PDA

View Full Version : wimpy alternator

CardinalFJ60
09-08-2011, 07:02 PM
So....by adding the APRS and Fridge, I've unearthed an issue...Alternator is only pushing about 12.46 at 2k rpm (napa tested).

I'm planning to leave for the Outlaws run on Saturday - who thinks I need to bring along a spare? anyone have one I could borrow, just in case?
I do have a dual batt setup, but I don't like what I see with those numbers. Mosby, MT is right next to "nowheresville"

advice?

rover67
09-08-2011, 07:12 PM
that seems really low. I'd be willing to pull mine from the 40 (should be the same alternator) so you can carry it as a spare. it is easy to yank off. call me. I don't need to drive the truck.

CardinalFJ60
09-08-2011, 08:19 PM
OK...I feel reeeaaallly dumb. I've got a 40, too. :o

What a great offer, man. thanks. :risingsun

it's a 77...the only thing that would help me not feel so dumb would be someone saying the older one wouldn't work.

subzali
09-08-2011, 11:32 PM
The 40 one is externally regulated while the 60 one is internally regulated. So it won't work. Marco's might though; I don't know when they switched over to internally regulated alternators.

There, do you feel better? :D

Inukshuk
09-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Mosby, MT is right next to "nowheresville"

Actually its even quite far from that! :thumb: :hill:

Buy a NAPA spare and return it after the trip if not used?

CardinalFJ60
09-09-2011, 01:02 AM
I really should I have asked while there...but we were closing on a re-fi and, as usual, was running late. that'll be a call first thing tomorrow.

I'll shoot you an email update on the Outlaws distro as I learn more. Worst case scenario, I meet you a day later somewhere nowhere next to nowheresville. ;) stay tuned.

corsair23
09-09-2011, 01:02 AM
No spare alternator but I've got two Deka's in the garage you could drag with you for more battery power :) - carrying the extra weight might only bring you mpg down 1 or 2 mpgs :hill:

CardinalFJ60
09-09-2011, 01:07 AM
...minus that divided by that...carrry the one....can I really get negative miles per gallon? :confused: :D

I'm feeling pretty good about getting something worked out in time, if not...it'll be one heck of an adventure catching up to everyone! (damn, I really didn't want a repeat the pre-moab trip) OK...that was freakin' awesome, but required several folks to look out for me and guide me in late at night. Cool, for sure, and I really appreciated the sacrifice of campfire beverages.

corsair23
09-09-2011, 01:10 AM
Well, you can always do the battery swapping technique with others on the trip as you go and let them charge up your battery, or theirs, as you go :D

RicardoJM
09-09-2011, 08:14 AM
I have an FJ60 (internal regulator) alternator that you are welcome to. One of my projects (very far down the list) is to switch alternators and get rid of the voltage regulator.

rover67
09-09-2011, 09:23 AM
and mine is internally regulated. just let me know.

CardinalFJ60
09-09-2011, 09:25 AM
After this meeting I'll be calling around local places to pick up a spare to bring along.

once again...:risingsun

Air Randy
09-09-2011, 09:28 AM
I have an FJ60 (internal regulator) alternator that you are welcome to. One of my projects (very far down the list) is to switch alternators and get rid of the voltage regulator.

You spend way too much time on MUD reading threads about upgrades you don't really need to do :D

RicardoJM
09-09-2011, 09:46 AM
You spend way too much time on MUD reading threads about upgrades you don't really need to do :D

Exactly, even more so in this case as my alternator was recently rebuilt and the voltage regulator in my rig was recently bought new from Toyota. :D

CardinalFJ60
09-09-2011, 10:49 AM
heading over to L'ville Napa after work. :-)

Since I need one anyway...I'm buying it.

Thanks to everyone for your great offers.!

Uncle Ben
09-09-2011, 10:56 AM
So....by adding the APRS and Fridge, I've unearthed an issue...Alternator is only pushing about 12.46 at 2k rpm (napa tested).

I'm planning to leave for the Outlaws run on Saturday - who thinks I need to bring along a spare? anyone have one I could borrow, just in case?
I do have a dual batt setup, but I don't like what I see with those numbers. Mosby, MT is right next to "nowheresville"

advice?

Take it to Vanetta Auto Electric in Boulder. They will make it better than new! Seriously!!!!!

CardinalFJ60
09-09-2011, 11:42 AM
thanks for the advice!!! Calling now! this must be the place that Marco mentioned..

CardinalFJ60
09-09-2011, 12:00 PM
So...Napa has one...$76 getting to L'ville now.

Vanetta also has one...$89. in Boulder.

UB...would you think the Vanetta one is better? or are they really the same?

Uncle Ben
09-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Ask them if its napa. I have not had much luck with napa reman elec crap. I trust Vanetta and have had them rebuild or build many things for me and i have 0 complaints!

nakman
09-09-2011, 02:14 PM
I don't get it Shawn.. don't you have the fridge and ham radios running off your second battery? And don't you have an isolator/combiner hooked up as part of your system? Meaning, the second battery only gets charges after the first battery is nice and topped off, right? So why would adding that stuff have an increase on your alternator load? Unless you're running with both batteries combined all the time? :confused:

CardinalFJ60
09-09-2011, 02:37 PM
I don't get it Shawn.. don't you have the fridge and ham radios running off your second battery?

Fridge, APRS ham, and fm radio amp were temporarily running off starting battery. I moved everything last night to the Aux batt.

And don't you have an isolator/combiner hooked up as part of your system? YEP.

Meaning, the second battery only gets charges after the first battery is nice and topped off, right? I believe so.

So why would adding that stuff have an increase on your alternator load? no clue. Unless you're running with both batteries combined all the time? This is where it gets interesting read on.... :confused:

background info:
I've been battlling low voltage my whole life with this cruiser. most interesting is that when it rains the voltage like to really drop. :rolleyes::confused: Robbie and I replaced the VR like 4 yrs ago, didn't help much...just a little.

My dual batt system is set on auto all the time yet it always shows them linked. It will unlink them automatically when the voltage gets low..seems like under 12.8/12.6?

Napa tested the main battery at 12.51 while not running (about the same a 2krpm). Alternator was pushing 12.46. so I figured that's where my issue is.

I think this is related....I recently secured the shelf system to the floor, I wonder if I squished some wires (power to rear WAS running near there). Last night, around 11pm in bare feet, I leaned over the back tailgate to contemplate my fate and swear I felt electricity through my arms. but couldn't find my voltmeter. I immediately disconnected that power lead I tapped into for rear power, and re-ran a different one from the Aux. battery.

when I turned on my Ham, (on the aux. batt.) this morning halfway to denver, it read 12.6V and both batteries were linked at highway speed.

Need any more info? I'm hope I'm providing valuable info - I hate chasing this stuff.

CardinalFJ60
09-09-2011, 02:47 PM
yesterday morning while removing the mag-mount aprs antenna, it dropped on the roof of the cruiser, resulting in an immediate shut down on the FM radio amp, fridge turned off, and the APRS Ham went haywire. I finally shut everything down, and everything turned on fine later on in the day.

I've never had anything that crazy happen with an antenna falling onto the roof.

CardinalFJ60
09-09-2011, 03:05 PM
I just bought a new Vmeter at Radio Shack...any tips on what to check to see what's going on? My fear is that I drilled into a wire, or I have a chaffed wire sending current through the chassis.

how do I check if there is a current draw with ignition off?

CardinalFJ60
09-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Just finished up installing the alt. and....New battery. seems as though the 9 year old Napa Orbital was only mostly good. we're kicking at 13.8+. :D

Walter at Vanetta's was great. I'll be going back to him for a higher output alternator setup. Thanks for the tip UB...you're right, only one place to go for that kind of stuff. :thumb::thumb:

nakman
09-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Cool, glad you made some progress today man. Still doesn't explain the antenna thing though, there's got to be a loose ground or something?

Rzeppa
10-06-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm catching up on some older threads, so pardon the tardiness for this particular one.

However, what this thread got me thinking about is how few people who work on their own cars know about the magic smoke. I started to teach an introductory automotive electronics lesson at a meeting a couple years back, but the 10 minutes I was given made it really hard to cover much. I have taught basic electrical and electronics to assemblers and techs at various places I have worked over the years, and have distilled stuff down to a level that most people can understand.

I wonder how much interest there would be in something like an hour-long clinic to learn some basic Ohm's law and auto electrical? Seeing Shawn's questions made me realize that with a bit more knowledge, many people can figure stuff out a lot more quickly and effectively.

CardinalFJ60
10-06-2011, 03:20 PM
timing is great on this, Jeff. I'd be really interested as I'm especially challenged in the "testing" arena. No one like chasing gremlins, but I typically don't know where to start and what to check for.

I've currently (hahah) got enough knowledge to be really dangerous. :o

corsair23
10-06-2011, 03:43 PM
I'd be interested too Jeff...Electrical noob would be a good definition for me :hill: