PDA

View Full Version : 4th Gen 4runner rear bumper, tire carrier

Caribou Sandstorm
09-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Been working some ideas about which tire carrier/bumper combo to settle on.

As far as the front bumper, I am going with the most professional look possible, Arb. Just wish I could get it without the hoops. There is a local bumper fabricator here in Colorado that makes very, very clean looking front bumpers but they do not make front bumpers for 4th gens.. I think that shop is in Golden..;)

The rear bumper options are very limited for 4th gens. My issue is to find a solution that reflects the least amount of Mad Max look as possible, since I drive customers to site visits and have company executives travel with me from time to time. So the best plan for me is something removable when not wheeling. Not an easy combo to find or settle on.

The option that I have settled on for now is to replace the rear limited plastic bumper cover for a new one. I am selecting the Sport model version of the rear bumper vs. the Limited version because the Sport has indents on both corners, no doubt to assist slightly in departure angles..

Found a great deal on Ebay, after looking locally with no luck. South West Auto Body Parts on e-bay has these painted in my color for $300.00 with free shipping.. Crazy cheap pricing and it is an OEM part.

The next purchase is a Tiregate swing out tire carrier. While swing outs can be a hassle from time to time. The benefits for my use, seem to out weigh the swing out hassles. Also I can mount a High lift and maybe a gas can holder, as well.

The departure angel will be less but running a plastic bumper, means the hitch will take more abuse then the bumper, hopefully.

This picture of a 4th gen has the sport bumper and the tire gate solution.

http://www.tiregate.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1507&g2_serialNumber=3

Finally, there is an idea I found with Kaymar's Prado 120 product....

It looks as though it integrated nicely with the plastic bumper in tack.. Kind of throws out the anti-Mad Max look a bit, but again looks very professionally done..Might be cost prohibitive..

http://www.kaymar.com.au/vehicles/toyota/toyota%20images/rear%20bar%20prado%20120%20a%20600pix.jpg

http://www.kaymar.com.au/vehicles/toyota/toyota%20images/120prado%20copy.gif

L43dean
09-12-2011, 11:43 AM
I suggest that you procure the SLEE offering (good business lingo eh?). Then when you drive your customers to visit a site, make sure the trip involves a ride over Redcone. They will have so much more fun than the average mundane business day that you will be assured of making a sale and closing the deal. Your clients will clearly see your wise decision regarding proper asset protection with the value added integrated spare wheel app. I could go on about financial multipliers and their impact on implied vehicle recovery but I have a conference call that I must tend to, and my mom just made me a sandwich. Regards, Dean

Jacket
09-12-2011, 12:03 PM
For the front bumper, if you don't like the hoops I'd suggest cutting them off. You could cut, grind flush, cap, and repaint/powdercoat. Certainly wouldn't be cheap to pay someone to do it, but it could be done....

For the rear, I see the problem with all that plastic, particularly how high up the profile is behind the back tire. I wonder if you could do something like they are doing with the 200 series cruisers and the front bumper? Because of the excess of plastic on the front of those trucks, the ARB install requires that some of the bumper plastic be cut and reinstalled to "frame" the ARB and fill in the gaps between the bumper and body. You might be able to do something similar (albeit highly customized) to get a bumper that provided stability and protection in the rear, but didn't require a bunch of plating on the sides. You could try and retain some of the bumper plastic behind the tires, and just have a small piece of square steel that protected it at the bottom (like a slider).

Just thinking out loud. Consider giving Jed at Armorology a call. All his work is custom fit for each truck, and he has really great designs for rear bumpers on the older 4Runners and Tacomas. When we did my Tacoma, it was a combination of armor and body work, and his shop did it all based on what I wanted. If you tell him what you are looking for, maybe you guys could come up with a good compromise between protection and minimalism.

L43dean
09-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Chris, all kidding aside, ARB makes a front and Christo makes neither a front or rear? If so, I like the Tiregate swing out idea. Or go for the one off custom like Matt suggested. His doppio cabo was cleanly done. Dean

18seeds
09-12-2011, 06:01 PM
How quickly are looking to make all these mods? I ask because I may have some/all of them for you.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/sledmods/2007%20Toyota%204runner%20Limited%20V8/2011-08-28_12-32-37_462.jpg

The changes in my life are coming faster than I had initially thought. I am living in both SoCal and Colorado right now but I will be spending more time in SoCal soon. I was going to move the 4runner to SoCal but I may just get a normal DD for SoCal.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Seeds are you in Denver?

How has the Tiregate worked out?

18seeds
09-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Old Town Littleton

The hitchgate works great and very solid. I have no complaints. I wouldn't call it the best solution out there but I'm not a fan of any of the rear bumpers that are available today

18seeds
09-12-2011, 07:47 PM
I'll be back in town tomorrow for a few weeks

Caribou Sandstorm
09-13-2011, 07:58 AM
I'll be back in town tomorrow for a few weeks

Maybe we can catch up for lunch one day, I would like to see the set up in person.

18seeds
09-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Anytime. Just let me know. My office is at 470 and kipling

momo75
09-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Where did you order the Tiregate from. Looks really nice.....:thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
09-14-2011, 08:05 PM
I might be buying mine locally..;)

If not 4wheel parts has them and so does the manufacturer

http://www.tiregate.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1507

momo75
09-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the link. I have been wanting something like this as well. I don't mind the bumper replacements, but these will be a little more in my price range......:)

Caribou Sandstorm
09-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the link. I have been wanting something like this as well. I don't mind the bumper replacements, but these will be a little more in my price range......:)

You bet, roll tide..

momo75
09-15-2011, 07:52 AM
You bet, roll tide..

Actually i am a "War Eagle" man, but not afraid to say "Roll Tide" since my niece is there right now.......but when it comes to the Iron Bowl, i can only pull for my Orange and Blue......:thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
09-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Cool.."War Eagle" Gotta love the southern rivals..

Caribou Sandstorm
09-16-2011, 07:16 AM
Hey Seeds, I was thinking of heading your way tomorrow after lunch, maybe around 1:30?

Is your Tire gate the modded kind for a 4runner, so it sits closer the bumper?

I read that Tiregate adapted the fit for 4runners, so they sit about 1/2" from the bumper.

momo75
09-16-2011, 08:11 AM
Cool.."War Eagle" Gotta love the southern rivals..

lol.....Fall is the best time of the year....:woot:

Corbet
09-16-2011, 08:11 AM
Chris, its hard to tell from the pictures here but this bumper does not look too mad max. Paint it to match and remove the swing arms when not wheeling?

http://www.aluminess.com/4runner.htm

Caribou Sandstorm
09-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Chris, its hard to tell from the pictures here but this bumper does not look too mad max. Paint it to match and remove the swing arms when not wheeling?

http://www.aluminess.com/4runner.htm

Thanks for the find, Corbet!

Corbet
09-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Hope that offers another option. That tiregate thing looks like a departure angle disappointment to me, especially with you coming out of a FJ with much less overhang than your 4Runner.

Just spend the money on a full bumper and tell your clients its cool and they should have one too.

18seeds
09-16-2011, 03:17 PM
call me 3/ 330-6949

Caribou Sandstorm
09-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Here is a pic of the tiregate with a gas can holder mounted.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa284/net4n6/tiregate/tiregate1.jpg

Hulk
09-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Hope that offers another option. That tiregate thing looks like a departure angle disappointment to me, especially with you coming out of a FJ with much less overhang than your 4Runner.

Just spend the money on a full bumper and tell your clients its cool and they should have one too.

After seeing that photo with the jerry can, I agree with Corbet. Do it once, do it right, and get a bumper with good departure angle.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Too late...

I am the proud owner of a new, to me, tire gate swing out tire carrier and a very close to brand new ARB bumper...

I now have a enough mods to keep me busy until the Maze.....As I also picked up a set of Air Lift air bags for the ar coils....

I really enjoyed wrenching with 18seeds today..Super nice guy.

Thanks Chris! Good to meet you, make sure to stay in touch.

1loudLX
09-17-2011, 05:24 PM
A paint matched off-road bumper does not look mad-max. You can still wear a tie with your denim-suit Chris.

edit:you just posted before me....so a front ARB works for clients? Nice!

Caribou Sandstorm
09-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Easy tiger..... you are coming over this week to help me mount this front bumper, right?

18seeds
09-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Great hanging today. Enjoy the new mods

1loudLX
09-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Easy tiger..... you are coming over this week to help me mount this front bumper, right?

Sure, on monday or tuesday.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Slammed both days during the day. Might through it on today, as my neighbor is around..

AxleIke
09-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Chris, if you want, I can cut those hoops off for you, weld in filler plate, and smooth it out. You'd have to take it to get re-powder coated.

Easier to do it when its NOT on the truck though.

LMK.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Hmm that's a tempting offer and thanks for offering Isaac.

I think I am going to throw it on as is and when it needs to be repainted then pull the hoops.

It really is a brand new bumper.

I worked on the tire gate today, just power washed it and hit it with some polishing compound and a sharpie... Looks really bueno, but I will need to mod the tongue by a few inches, to snug it up to the bumper a bit.

You guys know me, I am mr. Point and shoot...mods are a bit intimidating for me. I have so many mods in front of me know, I am stressing about getting them done by November.

Good thing I will have some time off between jobs to get it all wrapped up.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Was able to get the bumper on today! Really happy with how the 4runner is turning out.

Thanks again for the help today Paul!

Also many thanks to my new 4runner buddy Chris Lee, for parting with his nice mods earlier then anticipated.. Glad it worked out for both of us!

Tomorrow I am going to work on lifting the Icons a bit and painting the calipers. Maybe get to the rear air bag Air Lift 1000s..

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/bumper-install/i-8qRLtGP/0/L/DSCF0726-L.jpg

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/bumper-install/i-xLMzg3q/0/L/DSCF0728-L.jpg

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/bumper-install/i-bxQfssF/0/L/DSCF0729-L.jpg

Hulk
09-22-2011, 10:41 PM
Starting to look really cool. A few more mods and you can sell it and start over. :D

1loudLX
09-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Dang it really is starting to look cool.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Starting to look really cool. A few more mods and you can sell it and start over. :D

That is not funny.....I was thinking the same thing this morning....An older 62 would be a super fun project...but I think I would keep it mostly as a around town grocery getter...nah probably would mod is slightly..

I really enjoyed installing the bumper, really straight forward, easy stuff..

Dr. Schlegs
09-23-2011, 09:22 AM

:lmao: I was thinking the same thing. How many times are you going to change the color of the brake calibers until you get it just right?

wesintl
09-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Hot

18seeds
09-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Hopefully you just ended up with 1 extra nut :)

That blue is really growing on me.

I am going full stealth mode now and going to mount the winch behind the stock bumper.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Hopefully you just ended up with 1 extra nut :)

That blue is really growing on me.

I am going full stealth mode now and going to mount the winch behind the stock bumper.

Sounds good. Yes only one nut. Not bad, I remembered the correct sequences after a whole week had gone by!!

I did not need the mount for the wich controll box if you need it? Also I have all the mounting brackets for the stock bumper if you are missing something, let me know..

Do you remember if both fogs worked? The left is not working, could be my shotty wiring, going to re-do it today.

18seeds
09-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Yes they both worked.

For the blinkers/indicator lights if you can't figure those out we can look at mine. We left enough room to track those wires back

Caribou Sandstorm
09-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Yes they both worked.

For the blinkers/indicator lights if you can't figure those out we can look at mine. We left enough room to track those wires back

Cool! I figured I screwed something up with wiring..duh, it is only two wires...But maybe my connections are not so good.

That sounds good, I just coiled them up for now and taped them down.
Maybe I can come by when you get your new suspension and I can help you out. Then I can see how you wired the turns.