PDA

View Full Version : Forest Latrines

subzali
09-15-2011, 12:47 PM
A question came up about Forest Latrines and why we generally diassembly/clean them up on our cleanup runs. Well, it's a little bit of personal preference, but for those of us that wheel/camp up in CCRD (or more specifically the Argentine/Leavenworth area), here is something of an "official" response to this question - although you'll notice that it has a preferential and subjective tone as well:

"I had a question that came up last night about campsite latrines and hunter’s camps. In the Leavenworth Creek area, when we do our cleanup runs, we typically remove hunter’s latrines. What is the etiquette for latrine activities in places like this? Have everybody dig their own little cat hole, have a communal pit that you remove when you disperse camp, or pack-it-in, pack-it-out? Does it depend on size of group and length of stay?

Thanks,"

"Hey Matt,
I guess from my standpoint it sort of depends on the size of the group. I always advocate pack in pack out and leave NO trace but I am also realistic and don't expect that people are likely to pack out this sort of thing…

If the latrines are not too close(100'+) to a water source of any kind, I am pretty ok with cat hole or communal pit as long as you cover when you leave. I usually tell people to try to make it look like no one was there when you leave. I would really advocate more for the removal of the tp more than the waste. I've seen wads of tp that last quite awhile…

If you have a big group of people for an extended time period, it would be best to use some sort of containment device and remove everything when you leave.

Hope this answers your question…nothing like a human waste conversation at this time of day…time for lunch."

I guess the point is to follow the Tread Lightly and Leave No Trace ethics. Most of the time when we see latrines in the Argentine/Leavenworth area they are located very near to water, which is why we deal with them.

JadeRunner
09-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the clarification Matt. I see lots of communal toilet seats erected and left by hunters and wondered what the official stand was on this. I guess proximity to water is the key factor.

TP is indeed the most annoying trash I see around camp sites that has to be dealt with.

wesintl
09-15-2011, 01:46 PM
hunters should just get with the program and get a PETT Toilet for round camp.

Red_Chili
09-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Many hunters do. For that matter, a Wally World toilet seat and Homer bucket with trash compactor bags (thicker... don't want any break-through... :eek:) with kitty litter work just great.

I know *this* hunter, and those he hunts with, use that approach...