PDA

View Full Version : Longs Peak

wesintl
06-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Anyone hiking Longs peak this summer? Subzali?

I'd like to bag this peak in the next month or two...

subzali
06-23-2006, 06:01 PM
It's in the works, but probably not until late August or very early September, I heard there was a fair bit of snow up there this year and the trough might be snow-filled until that late. I haven't checked on it though...let me know if you plan on going before then.

JadeRunner
06-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Climbing it with Spring Snow is the best way to do it. You can walk right over the boulders in record time, and there isn't as many people. I climbed it in 91' and 92' in the first weekend in June. All you need is a ice axe.

Seldom Seen
06-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Climbing it with Spring Snow is the best way to do it. You can walk right over the boulders in record time, and there isn't as many people. I climbed it in 91' and 92' in the first weekend in June. All you need is a ice axe.

Yea, 2nd that. Call the back country office or Colorado Mountain School and get an up to date report on conditions. I'm planning an accent of Kinners or The Notch in Sep, when my Bro comes home from Alaska (he's guiding the West Butt right now) If you are interested in an east face assent I *think* we can have up to 5 climbers on our permit, let me know.

Rzeppa
06-27-2006, 04:58 PM
All you need is a ice axe.Heh...did you get a new one since you returned mine?

;-)

wesintl
06-27-2006, 09:39 PM
I have an ice axe... I dunno if I can find my climbing harness though...

Rzeppa
06-27-2006, 10:48 PM
I have an ice axe... I dunno if I can find my climbing harness though...Cool! You don't need no store-bought climbing harness though! A couple feet of 1" webbing and a home-brew diaper sling works just as well, has saved my a$$ from a couple of pretty good leader falls and costs a couple bucks.

Several months ago., I was showing Linda and Ashley my climbing gear. They goaded me into rappeling off my deck. I did, then showed them how to prussek (sp?) back up the rope with a couple pieces of 1" webbing. Three total, two for the feet and one for my hands.

IanB
06-28-2006, 05:40 AM
Cool! You don't need no store-bought climbing harness though! A couple feet of 1" webbing and a home-brew diaper sling works just as well, has saved my a$$ from a couple of pretty good leader falls and costs a couple bucks.

x2 for Longs, you really just need an ice axe for self arrest. Crampons would be a good idea too.