PDA

View Full Version : 100 series Ham installs

5Runner
09-21-2011, 07:09 AM
Hello Rising Sun.

I was at Ham Radio Outlet yesterday asking the salesman about good radios for trail use for my 100 series cruiser. He quickly mentioned Rising Sun and suggested I learn from you guys. You've got a Ham reputation!

I read through the sticky threads, thanks.

My 4x4 group is slowing moving to Hams, and I am making my move this month. My test is today, and I'm feeling confident.

I've got my eye on a Yaesu 7900. I realize a newbie doesn't really need to jump into a dual band radio right away, but its the remote faceplate that has me interested. I was thinking about mounting it in the garage door control in the center overhead area. I would then extend the mic down to exit the dash and hang next to my CB mic. I've already got a cb under my stereo and I plan to keep it there.

Would any of you 100 series Ham's care to post some pics of your radio setup, share advice, take-it-from-me's, etc, etc.

Thanks guys. Hope to see you at Stevenson's one of these days! :cheers:

wesintl
09-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Welcome. the 7900 is a solid radio. you might look at the 8800 or the 8900 which have a dual receiver so you can monitor a simplex channel and a repeater like the colorado connection. This is handy so you don't have to flip back and forth.

you'll also need to hit up gamiviti.com for a mic holder and antenna mount :)

nakman
09-21-2011, 09:38 AM
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=14081 contains my setup.

Also Slee stocks the micholder you need. :thumb: welcome to the forum, and to ham radio!

Jacket
09-21-2011, 09:59 AM
I did a similar install to what you describe in my old Tacoma (FT7800), and I'm also running my FT7900 in the center overhead area in my 80. I'll have to see if I have any pictures of either install. I ran the main wire for the faceplate as well as the mic wire into the headliner, over to the A pillar and down behind the dash. They sell long, 6 pin phone wire (~25' IIRC) and couplers at Ace Hardware for extending your mic that distance from the faceplate.

Jacket
09-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Found a picture of the Tacoma. That "door" the faceplate is attached to is the garage door / sunglasses opener.

For my 80, I'm using a RAM mount screwed in where the rear view mirror was. Everyone has the opinion as far as the "optimal" location for the radio, but I like mine up high. It's out of the way most of the time, and when I need to look at it I don't really have to take my eyes completely off the road. And no risk of spilling my latte on it. :)

xodeuce
09-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Not sure if you can use a blendmount, but I did this:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4083/5024456570_00641c4e54_z.jpg

Depends on your mirror shaft type.

http://store.blendmount.com/blendmount-kit-for-scangaugeii-p101.aspx

5Runner
09-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the pics and the links. It started me on a link to link journey through many threads on this topic. Thank you.

I passed the Technician Exam and got a 45% of the General (wasn't going for that one anyway, just an experiment).

Jacket
09-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Congrats! http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat3.gif

xodeuce
09-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the pics and the links. It started me on a link to link journey through many threads on this topic. Thank you.

I passed the Technician Exam and got a 45% of the General (wasn't going for that one anyway, just an experiment).

Kudos! A couple more weeks studying the General and you'll be good to go on HF

:beer:

dr350jja
01-21-2012, 11:39 PM
Found a picture of the Tacoma. That "door" the faceplate is attached to is the garage door / sunglasses opener.

Do you have any more pics of the mic and wires? Where did you mount the main radio unit? I'm trying to figure out where I can mount a mobile unit in my Taco. The newer style Tacos are "bigger", but they sure don't seem to have any good places to mount radios! :(

dr350jja
01-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Not sure if you can use a blendmount, but I did this:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4083/5024456570_00641c4e54_z.jpg

Depends on your mirror shaft type.

http://store.blendmount.com/blendmount-kit-for-scangaugeii-p101.aspx

wow...that "blendmount" looks like a good idea, but where did you mount the actual radio?

xodeuce
01-22-2012, 10:27 AM
wow...that "blendmount" looks like a good idea, but where did you mount the actual radio?

I've got a double cab, and the radio body is in the plastic bin behind the back seat on the driver side. There wasn't quite room for it under the rear seat with the other stuff I store in the under-seat bin, along with the jack.

I don't have a pic of the radio body, but here's the speaker, mic, and where I ran the wiring. I used Cat5 cables and couplers to extend the faceplate and mic, and then I had to get a 1/8" phono extension from radio shack to extend the speaker.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4145/5023848283_8d4ea2c01c.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4107/5024457770_135f027a94.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4147/5024456834_3f1f2ec7d3.jpg

dr350jja
01-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks Keith, that gives me some more ideas. I like how you used the little tray for the speaker, my tray is full of spare change. I guess I carry too much junk in my double cab, because under and behind the rear seats is packed full!! :D Did you cut the cat 5 cable to size, or just buy a certain length? Did the location of the faceplate above the rear view mirror work good?

Romer
01-22-2012, 10:56 AM
I also went with the 7800 putting the main unit in the rear passenger area where there is a small cubby for storage

nakman
01-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Couple pics for jonharis.. the 2800 would technically fit in the center console, yes. I still wouldn't want to run it in there though, it's big and would take up a ton of room, plus seeing it while driving wouldn't be easy. So you'd end up pulling over a lot, or looking away from the road a lot, or just not fiddling with the radio much; lose-lose-lose, IMnshO. :D

that 2800/2900 is a big honkin radio. It'd be one thing if you had a tuffy and you could bolt the sucker to the front of it.. but in a 100 series I'm going to have to go back to the remote faceplate under the heater controls, ahead of the T-Case shifter.n You can just see my bracket in the second picture below...

jonharis
01-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the pic. I really like the remote mounts I've seen and think I'll go that route on you guys' advice.

Jacket
01-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Do you have any more pics of the mic and wires? Where did you mount the main radio unit? I'm trying to figure out where I can mount a mobile unit in my Taco. The newer style Tacos are "bigger", but they sure don't seem to have any good places to mount radios! :(

I installed the radio behind the back seat in those "cubbies" that sit between the seat and the back of the cab. You'll need a remote speaker if you go this route. The wiring ran along the driver side under the plastic thingys by the door, up the A-pillar and across the head liner to the upper console to the face plate. The mic wire (6 pin phone wire IIRC) went back down the A-pillar and behind the dash/center console. I used a 6 pin female/female junction, and then plugged the mic into it. It's a lot of wire running for its purpose, but I'm pretty anal about keeping my cockpit uncluttered with wires and accessories.

In my 80 I went a similar route, but more like xodeuce's install. The faceplate mounts to a RAM mount that I screwed into the rear view mirror slot.

Caribou Sandstorm
01-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Yep the remote mounts are my fav also but the price is weighing heavy...400-500.00 for ones that have the removable face plate. Can't find one for less, so far.

xodeuce
01-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks Keith, that gives me some more ideas. I like how you used the little tray for the speaker, my tray is full of spare change. I guess I carry too much junk in my double cab, because under and behind the rear seats is packed full!! :D Did you cut the cat 5 cable to size, or just buy a certain length? Did the location of the faceplate above the rear view mirror work good?

I used some patch cables that I had sitting around. Make sure they're straight through and not crossover. I really like having the face above the mirror. I'm with Matt on having an uncluttered cockpit area, so having it up and out of the way was important to me. I also like that it's in a spot that doesn't take my eyes off the road too much to adjust it.

nakman
01-24-2012, 12:14 PM
I used some patch cables that I had sitting around. Make sure they're straight through and not crossover. I really like having the face above the mirror. I'm with Matt on having an uncluttered cockpit area, so having it up and out of the way was important to me. I also like that it's in a spot that doesn't take my eyes off the road too much to adjust it.

You know I've been in trucks that are both ways, and I prefer it down by the shifter. Downside is yes you have to take your eyes off the road a little more, but honestly it doesn't happen that often on the highway- happens more when you're in low range and it's nbd to stop for a second. Few other benefits:

- allows your passenger to fiddle with the radio easier. Or allows you to fiddle with the radio easier, while someone else drives.
- allows you to rest your hand on something (like the shifter) which improves your dexterity at the finger tips. I have struggled making fine adjustments to squelch and volume when my hand is overhead, easier when it's down low.
- also once you know what button you're pressing, you can leave your hand rested there for a second and resume watching the road- not as easy when your hand is overhead, which requires you to watch what you're doing on the radio more.

It's all personal preference... but I wanted to toss this out there since there are a few guys about to do installs. :beer:

xodeuce
01-24-2012, 09:12 PM
You know I've been in trucks that are both ways, and I prefer it down by the shifter. Downside is yes you have to take your eyes off the road a little more, but honestly it doesn't happen that often on the highway- happens more when you're in low range and it's nbd to stop for a second. Few other benefits:

- allows your passenger to fiddle with the radio easier. Or allows you to fiddle with the radio easier, while someone else drives.
- allows you to rest your hand on something (like the shifter) which improves your dexterity at the finger tips. I have struggled making fine adjustments to squelch and volume when my hand is overhead, easier when it's down low.
- also once you know what button you're pressing, you can leave your hand rested there for a second and resume watching the road- not as easy when your hand is overhead, which requires you to watch what you're doing on the radio more.

It's all personal preference... but I wanted to toss this out there since there are a few guys about to do installs. :beer:

Truth.

I've got my HF rig down on the console behind the shifter where I can rest my hand on it while my arm is on the arm rest. It's way easier to fine tune the tuning dial than if my arm was totally unsupported.

Caribou Sandstorm
01-29-2012, 04:48 PM
I am going to mount my single 2m radio on the passenger side of the transmission console.

I had this set up in my 4runner and it was a pretty good spot. Also if I ever decide to throw down for a removable face place dual band, this set up will not leave a trace that it was there, when I remove it.

I peeled back the carpet and gorilla glued a small thin piece of wood (about the size of the base plate) onto the metal, then I will screw the mount on the wood through the carpet.

Here is a pic of where the radio will sit once mounted. Just gotta wait 24 hours for the gorilla glue to set up.

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Time-for-a-100-series-Land/i-m9hf9Bc/0/L/IMG0407-L.jpg
http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Time-for-a-100-series-Land/i-Qf965Vt/0/L/IMG0408-L.jpg
http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Time-for-a-100-series-Land/i-kNkSLtd/0/L/IMG0409-L.jpg

nakman
01-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Nice wipes. :Princess:

Caribou Sandstorm
01-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Don't leave home without 'em..:thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
01-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Mount worked as planned.. Gorilla glue was dry today and easy to mount the radio, The location is the same, less the baby wipes!:D

Now for the fun part...wiring...I am considering wiring my own set up this go around. It is pretty straightforward and I have to wire the CB and Fridge constant power, so might as well do it all at once. I think this would cost me roughly 300.00 for all 3 to be installed at Car Toys.. I don't have that kind of expendable income this go round..

How hard can this stuff really be??

corsair23
01-30-2012, 03:54 PM
How hard can this stuff really be??

If I can do it, you can do it :)

Always on is easy...Aux fux block, correct gauge wires and fusing to the battery, grounds, and voila.

Switched power is the one thing I haven't tackled/figured out yet but if you don't forget to leave your radios on, no harm no foul using always on :hill:

Jacket
01-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Switched power is the one thing I haven't tackled/figured out yet but if you don't forget to leave your radios on, no harm no foul using always on :hill:

It's the same, plus a switch and a relay.

farnhamstj
01-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Chris, Why not just screw into the metal? seems like you're making it more difficult than it needs to be?

DaveInDenver
01-30-2012, 05:22 PM
if you don't leave your radios on, no harm no foul using always on
Icoms, like just about every other mobile radio that uses a microprocessor, have an auto power off to protect you from running the battery down.

For the IC-V8000:
Push and hold [SET(LOCK)] and then push [PWR] for 1 second to bring up the initial set mode menu
Push [SET(LOCK)] to scroll until you get the "POF-OF" function
Rotate the tuning dial to select between off ("OF"), 30 min ("30"), 1 hour ("1H") or 2 hours ("2H").
Push [PWR] to set the value and return to the regular display (the value is retained in flash between power cycles)
Page 64 in the user's manual.

I set mine to an hour, enough that if you're just monitoring it doesn't turn off too soon. Like a typical commute to work or run up to ski.

Uncle Ben
01-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Perfect install!

Caribou Sandstorm
01-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Chris, Why not just screw into the metal? seems like you're making it more difficult than it needs to be?

I did not want to screw into the metal near the tranny, because I didn't want to go through the metal and start a rust spot or allow water to have an entry path...

I did the block of wood with gorilla glue with the FJC Ham mount between the roof and headliner. It is a super easy install process, peel carpet back glue wood block, replace carpet, screw into wood block. Probably took me total of 30 minutes, and I am super slow with mods..

Icoms, like just about every other mobile radio that uses a microprocessor, have an auto power off to protect you from running the battery down.

For the IC-V8000:
Push and hold [SET(LOCK)] and then push [PWR] for 1 second to bring up the initial set mode menu
Push [SET(LOCK)] to scroll until you get the "POF-OF" function
Rotate the tuning dial to select between off ("OF"), 30 min ("30"), 1 hour ("1H") or 2 hours ("2H").
Push [PWR] to set the value and return to the regular display (the value is retained in flash between power cycles)
Page 64 in the user's manual.

I set mine to an hour, enough that if you're just monitoring it doesn't turn off too soon. Like a typical commute to work or run up to ski.

Thanks for the tip Dave!

Perfect install!

You know you want one....:)

nakman
01-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Chris do you have a second battery? Or are you planning on getting one? Best install option, IMO, is to wire it directly to the second battery- that way it can be "always on," but when you start the truck again it won't power spike the radio- I have wired radios about every possible configuration and in my opinion this is the best way.. if you don't have the 2nd battery yet then save some wire so you can move the wires when you do.

Having the radio switched on with accessory is a bad idea, because you shouldn't need a key to monitor or transmit, and you don't need the power spike at startup. Having it wired to the starting battery direct is a bad idea, again too many power spikes can potentially let the smoke out (I'm sure there's a more valid reason than that referencing electrical fundamentals). Best option is wire it directly to the second battery.. which doubles as a nice backup voltage meter for battery 2. :)

DaveInDenver
01-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Meh, I wouldn't worry about wiring a radio directly to a starting battery. It's only /potentially/ a problem if you have the radio turned on during cranking, which I do all the time anyway... The power in my FT-8800 has a TVS across the 13.8V that clamps spikes to 18V (Yaesu uses a P6KA18, good to 600W and 1ps response). The constant 13.8V is fed to a 5V linear regulator that is fairly heavily filtered for the microprocessor, which is always powered so that pushing and holding the power button turns on the switched 13.8V for the rest of the circuits.

The output FETs are RD70HVF1, good to 20V gate voltage, and the driving FETs are 2SK2975 (Yeasu uses these all over, the finals in the FT817ND are the 2SK2975 as well, which are driven at 5W over 160m up to 70cm up to 16V), also safe to 20V Vgs.

Honestly, these radios are designed to survive this sort of thing, I'm not too concerned. You know the heat/cool cycles and the dust/vibe/shock we hit these radios is just as bad for them as the power noise. Though you ought to wire them to the battery and not a secondary tap. The battery is a VERY good filter and the power is actually very clean tapped directly on it.

Uncle Ben
01-31-2012, 10:25 PM
You know you want one....:)

You obviously didn't read the sign language! :lmao::lmao::p:

5Runner
02-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Wow! I've been side tracked with other projects...and work...and I still haven't gotten my radio yet. I forgot I started this thread. Very happy how it turned out, and look forward to referencing it when I do get that radio. Sheesh...I'm going to have to review the rules again by then...ha!