PDA

View Full Version : suwa trying to close canyonlands

wesintl
09-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Not sure if anyone saw this on the expo :mad:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=14755702

Beater
09-21-2011, 09:31 AM
total drag - but it has only been a matter of time since the suv craze has gone so long in the market. As stock vehicles became more user friendly and capable, this increases the volume of traffic on these previously "hidden" gems.

The advent of information distribution through the interweb has not helped either. Every place I go, I am amazed at the level of traffic that area now has.

Just a feature of population growth of the smaller western citys as well and stay-cations too I suppose.

Frustrating regardless.

MountainGoat
09-21-2011, 10:21 AM
:rant:What a load. Last November on our Maze trip I don't recall seeing ANY off trail (or on trail for that matter) damage due to OHV use. It is pretty obvious that they only want to close it because it is there.

I am amazed at the degree to which the feds have bought into this idea of closing trails rather maintaining them. We spend more and more money and get less and less service. I went in to the USFS office to talk to the ranger about a trail that was closed after the High Meadow fire in 2000. I asked when they planned to reopen it. Her reply: never. I told her I was in a club that had a couple of adopt-a-trails and that could possibly raise money to fix the trail so it could be reopened. She said that it could not be reopened for any amount of money or donated work. She was not even vaguely interested in any solution.

This seems somewhat contrary to the USFS mission per their website: "The phrase, "CARING FOR THE LAND AND SERVING PEOPLE," captures the Forest Service mission." Perhaps I have a twisted concept of which "people" they serve.

This trail closure policy has been accepted by one and all as a one way street, once it is done it can never be undone. I don't think it has to be that way, and common sense certainly dictates that it shouldn't be. That is perhaps the worst part of the whole operation. :rant:off

Red_Chili
09-21-2011, 10:44 AM
It is a convergence of things. There is enough irresponsible use - and photos on enthusiast sites that, in another context, become damning - to fuel the fire.

Combine that with decreasing funds available, and land managers are in a bind even if they are sympathetic.

Add the loss of even more funds defending keeping areas open via lawsuit, and land managers see not only an easy way out, but maybe the ONLY way out. Opposing lawsuits sometimes seem the only way, but (forgive the pun) it is hard to swim upstream against things like the Clean Water Act and Endangered Species Act when invoked (and I support these, but not always their application).

I love this. Their plan "ameliorates conflicts among ORV users and others". Sure. Just like segregation ameliorated conflicts between races. Put us in an 'ORV' ghetto.

Again, the one who picks the language has a leg up in the debate. Resist the term 'ORV'. And note who uses it. We do not go off road.

subzali
09-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Dan, what area did you approach the FS about reopening? Was it the "Top of the World" area by chance? Not to sidetrack the discussion...:mad:

Red_Chili
09-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Used to be one of my favorite trails and part of a major loop. Unfortunately it was trashed. The fact that nonmotorized users also used it as part of the Colorado Trail didn't help.

Pike has been trying to move motorized users south in Rampart for a long time.

MountainGoat
09-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Dan, what area did you approach the FS about reopening? Was it the "Top of the World" area by chance? Not to sidetrack the discussion...:mad:

It was FR552 in Pike NF. It was near Wellington Lake out of Bailey and toward Buffalo Creek. It went down to a ghost town on the South Platte called "Crossons". It was frickin awesome. :mad:

nattybumppo
10-03-2011, 04:59 AM
Don't know if you guys noticed, but the Denver Post last week had a full page ad from these guys, and several other like-minded groups, urging Coloradans to call the White House comment line in support of scrapping the "Bush era access plan" that governs vehicle use, drilling, and mining in the areas surrounding Canyonlands NP.

I, of course, called the number (202-456-1111) and it was answered by a real live person who recorded my comment IN SUPPORT OF THE CURRENT USE PLAN. I appreciate those groups letting me know what they had up their sleeves so I could register my opposing opinion! I was also rather impressed that the White House Comment Line was answered by a flesh and blood type instead of the usual machine. I urge anybody else interested in Moab area wheeling to also call this line and offer your opinion in support of retaining back-road access rather than closing off those beautiful areas to our responsible use.

DaveInDenver
10-03-2011, 06:08 AM
It was FR552 in Pike NF. It was near Wellington Lake out of Bailey and toward Buffalo Creek. It went down to a ghost town on the South Platte called "Crossons". It was frickin awesome. :mad:
It's still there, just takes human power. It's not really that close to Wellington Lake, more north. You access it from 552. From Bailey take 560 to Miller Gulch TH, park and walk or ride 553 to 552. It's only a few miles. From Buffalo Creek or Pine Valley Ranch you can get there from the Buck Gulch TH, turn onto 552 at the gate and hike or ride up.

Hulk
10-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Don't know if you guys noticed, but the Denver Post last week had a full page ad from these guys, and several other like-minded groups, urging Coloradans to call the White House comment line in support of scrapping the "Bush era access plan" that governs vehicle use, drilling, and mining in the areas surrounding Canyonlands NP.

I, of course, called the number (202-456-1111) and it was answered by a real live person who recorded my comment IN SUPPORT OF THE CURRENT USE PLAN. I appreciate those groups letting me know what they had up their sleeves so I could register my opposing opinion! I was also rather impressed that the White House Comment Line was answered by a flesh and blood type instead of the usual machine. I urge anybody else interested in Moab area wheeling to also call this line and offer your opinion in support of retaining back-road access rather than closing off those beautiful areas to our responsible use.

I wonder how much it costs to buy an ad in the Denver Post. Maybe we should buy one ourselves.