PDA

View Full Version : 4th gen drawer system ideas

Caribou Sandstorm
09-26-2011, 10:35 PM
I am thinking of making a drawer system for my 4runner.

I think I want to build 2 small low profile drawers, set the fridge on top right and keep the top left open. The left I might make an additional platform that extends over the folded down seat, so that I can sleep on that side.

Anyone seen anything like this or know where I can read up, find plans, etc??

Thanks in advance for any advice suggestions.

I just found this on mud..

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/468049-my-own-rear-storage-drawers.html

Tch2fly
09-27-2011, 05:21 AM
Chris,

Try this thread at Expedition portal Post-up-your-drawer-storage-system (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/9034-Post-up-your-drawer-storage-system). A lot of great ideas in there.

Corbet
09-27-2011, 07:39 AM
Was your 4R originally equipped with 3rd row? Are there OEM mounting points if not? I've got some ideas if you ever make that trip down hear you've been threatening ;) Something to keep in mind with a double drawer under your fridge is clearance to access the fridge. I have a 13" platform under my Engel right now and its really pushing the limits of practicality.

Rezarf
09-27-2011, 09:10 AM
If your rear window rolls down, another option is mounting the fridge "longways" against the rear tailgate. That can aid getting access to the whole fridge without a slide system. That depends on how your fridge opens though.

I would figure out exactly what will ride in your drawers consistantly and then figure out how thin you can make at least the fridge side drawer, like Corbet said, you can really limit how much you can access the fridge without a fancy sliding drop down contraption.

Inukshuk
09-27-2011, 09:14 AM
I just found this on mud..

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/468049-my-own-rear-storage-drawers.html

That one looks nice, a lot like mine. I like his latches and bolt down system. But latches only need to keep drawers shut when tailgate is down (does the runner have a gate?) and I use a simple sliding door pin system that works great. I like my tie down system better. His drawer glides are overkill, as is all the notching. Pre-drill, screw and glue is plenty strong. Glides: I have $10 ones working great for 5+ years. Drawer height choice is personal and critical. Height of a bottle of motor oil is a good one for me. I have also had the sleeping platform in temporarily and have thoughts on that. Happy to chat this weekend.

wesintl
09-27-2011, 09:32 AM
you going to have woodsman come out and make them?

Caribou Sandstorm
09-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks you guys, I am still evaluating... Corbet, yeah I got a vertical challenge issue...I would need to also build a step:o to be able to look into my fridge, if I went with anything higher then a 9 inch drawer system..

I am almost thinking of a single drawer on the left with a base for the right side to better mount the fridge, but that would mean only one wide drawer on the left. Maybe that is all I need.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/30271-mini-mi-box.html

Caribou Sandstorm
09-28-2011, 07:22 AM
I just found Ken's thread in mud, started in '06....Man '06, that is a few years ago already, time flys...

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/83420-storage-solutions.html

I like the set ups that have one drawer and just a slider for the fridge.

I have 2 weeks from this Friday to mess around with this project...between jobs...I gotta hurry up and get projects on lined up before I have too many honey do's..:Princess::D

Corbet
09-28-2011, 07:29 AM
I am almost thinking of a single drawer on the left with a base for the right side to better mount the fridge, but that would mean only one wide drawer on the left. Maybe that is all I need.

This is a double drawer on the left and fridge right.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/48794-97-40th-Anniv.-Locked-Mall-Rig-quot-What-next-quot/page5?highlight=speski

Woodsman
09-28-2011, 08:29 AM
you going to have woodsman come out and make them?

Interesting that you mention this because I have been thinking about offering custom-sized drawers of baltic birch and have had some discussions with an offroad vendor in regards to making slide-out camp kitchens.

On the drawers for example, the customer would simply order whatever height, width, and depth they would like and then a formula determines a price based on those numbers. Add for options such as: heavier slides (or those way-overpriced slides with latches), drawer latches, locks, or carpet covering.

Product could be shipped assembled and finished or unassembled/flat-pack for customer assembly and finishing.

Chris, if you get plans/drawings together I'd be happy to set you up though I am pretty busy in October.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Interesting that you mention this because I have been thinking about offering custom-sized drawers of baltic birch and have had some discussions with an offroad vendor in regards to making slide-out camp kitchens.

On the drawers for example, the customer would simply order whatever height, width, and depth they would like and then a formula determines a price based on those numbers. Add for options such as: heavier slides (or those way-overpriced slides with latches), drawer latches, locks, or carpet covering.

Product could be shipped assembled and finished or unassembled/flat-pack for customer assembly and finishing.

Chris, if you get plans/drawings together I'd be happy to set you up though I am pretty busy in October.

Free shipping???? Trade for Pizza??? I have been looking at the options and I might want your expertise and trained handy work.

Will call you today. I guess if you have time we could figure it out and put it together when you get out here?

Caribou Sandstorm
09-29-2011, 09:22 PM
So I think I have settled on a plan.

Single drawer on the left with an added top that flips over when the seat is down for a bed platform... The flip over part will have 3 sides so when it is flipped over the drawer it can be used as additional storage.

I will draw something up and post it. If Woodsman is not too busy, I may hire his expertise wood working skills.

Convert
09-29-2011, 09:30 PM
I have 2 drawers to the left and a fridge slide to the right with a covered top
that is at the bottom of the rear windows and a Sepski barrier. works very well:beer:

Inukshuk
09-30-2011, 12:47 AM
So I think I have settled on a plan.

Single drawer on the left with an added top that flips over when the seat is down for a bed platform... The flip over part will have 3 sides so when it is flipped over the drawer it can be used as additional storage.

I will draw something up and post it. If Woodsman is not too busy, I may hire his expertise wood working skills.

Sounds like a good plan.

Corbet
09-30-2011, 08:41 AM
I have 2 drawers to the left and a fridge slide to the right with a covered top
that is at the bottom of the rear windows and a Sepski barrier. works very well:beer:

What's this Sepski barrier you speak of?:p: