PDA

View Full Version : Name that MC

ianacole
10-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Thoughts??? It's on my 40...and I'd like to rebuild it (or replace it).

RLMS
10-01-2011, 06:38 PM
gm Corvette, or truck!

Uncle Ben
10-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Very much looks GM!

timmbuck2
10-01-2011, 10:42 PM
why are we yelling!!!!!??????

ianacole
10-01-2011, 10:58 PM
You guys are good! Went to Advanced Auto Parts site and found this for an '86 3/4 4x4:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Master-Cylinder-Cardone-Select_15350003-P_230_R%7CGRPBRHYAMS_1881327628____#

Cheap enough to just replace!

ianacole
10-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Another question for the gurus ...

There are multiple options, mostly around the bore size. How do I determine the best size? I'm not happy with the current braking: I have a long travel until the the brakes start engaging, and I don't get enough braking force (I cannot lock up the brakes). Out wheeling, on a steep incline I worry that the brakes won't hold. I don't have a lot of confidence in them.

Current setup: '84 pickup front axle with discs; stock rear 40 axle with drums, and the MC above.

bigcity25
10-02-2011, 11:06 AM
I went to power brake of Denver (in Thorton) and got a rebuilt fj40 brake booster and haven't had any issues since.

Uncle Ben
10-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Another question for the gurus ...

There are multiple options, mostly around the bore size. How do I determine the best size? I'm not happy with the current braking: I have a long travel until the the brakes start engaging, and I don't get enough braking force (I cannot lock up the brakes). Out wheeling, on a steep incline I worry that the brakes won't hold. I don't have a lot of confidence in them.

Current setup: '84 pickup front axle with discs; stock rear 40 axle with drums, and the MC above.

Are you running through a proportioning valve? If not, you need to install residual check valves to keep the run-out on the rotors and drums from pushing the pistons all the way back in thus requiring a pump or long peddle stroke.

ianacole
10-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Are you running through a proportioning valve? If not, you need to install residual check valves to keep the run-out on the rotors and drums from pushing the pistons all the way back in thus requiring a pump or long peddle stroke.

I don't believe I am. The only thing I found inline was the T- junction to split to the wheels.

Changed out the MC, which is a Corvette one, by the way, with no noticeable improvement in braking. A lot of effort for a marginal improvement :rant: I hate it when that happens. The bore on the MC is 1.125" ... I'm wondering if that's not enough for front discs. Did the '75 Vette come with discs up front?

RLMS
10-02-2011, 08:53 PM
I would upgrade the front discs to vented 40 rotors and do a disc rear.
the master you have is actually too big for your set up!