PDA

View Full Version : 3 speed tcase rear cone cover

wesintl
06-26-2006, 09:25 AM
So I finally decided to pull the tranny and tcase from the 64 yesterday so I could clean the 40 years of grim off it and replace all the gaskets. Boy what fun that was. It was a PITA because the ramsey pto doesn't mount like the teq. It mounts on the rear making it next to impossible to remove things. I ended up pulling the seat and gas tank so I could pull the tunnel cover too. :rolleyes:
I'm not 100% sure I'm going to put the ramsey pto back on. It was a PITA to get off.

If I don't put it back on I'll need the rear cover (cone cover). I think that's all i need. I have a washer and stake nut already.

bustanutley
06-26-2006, 03:27 PM
I've got a couple laying around...

wesintl
06-26-2006, 04:32 PM
I guess you found another 3speed case? I could use the spacer that goes behind that cover too...

Are you around this weekend?

nuclearlemon
06-26-2006, 06:40 PM
i've got a few.

what size spacer, i may have that also?

wesintl
06-26-2006, 10:33 PM
I don't know the length on the early cases.... 64 3 speed case?

ahh.. can I borrow your clutch alignment tool too?

bustanutley
06-26-2006, 11:07 PM
yeah I had another t-case laying around (4-speed) dropped 3 speed gears in it 2 fridays ago and wheeled that weekend :)

Spacer? been a long while since I had a pto gear in my t-case but I garenteen I have it just have to dig thru the t-case parts pile. Weekend? no idea.

Rzeppa
06-27-2006, 05:01 PM
can I borrow your clutch alignment tool too?I have a few extras, I'll be glad to give you one. I'll also be happy come come over and help you with putting them back in; in re-reading your post, it appears that you didn't pull the engine and the whole tamale, just the tranny and t-case? Anyway, I left you a phone message today.

nuclearlemon
06-27-2006, 06:38 PM
whatever you need from me is cool. i have a few spacers, but don't know which ones are which:confused:

Rzeppa
06-27-2006, 07:59 PM
whatever you need from me is cool. i have a few spacers, but don't know which ones are which:confused:I may need one, depending on whether I have a PTO gear or not. I'm hoping to get this 4 speed swap done this weekend. I was just inside that t-case at last year's packing party, and just don't remember if I had a gear or a spacer. If I already have the spacer, I won't need one. (Mental note to self- open inspection cover and check before yanking the sucker out of there and discovering I need one! :-)

wesintl
06-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Jeff, Thanks for the offer. I dunno when it's going back in. The tele service here at the house it mostly for my wife. I don't answer nor check messages :hill:

I power washed the cases for probably 20 min. dat's alot of quarters :D and it's still not clean. close enough though.

I still need to break apart the cases and regasket and seal them. I didn't pull the clutch yet to replace the rear main or pilot. It does have a new clutch.

I guess what I should be sayin is I should be in the garage right now.

wesintl
07-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Rats.

I need to replace the front tranny bearing since it's really loose and probably the main cause of the leak. I guess I need a special puller to pull the input shaft? Can anyone recommend one or borrow one?

74fj40
07-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Wes - auto zone has a lot of loaner tools - http://www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/valvetrain_repair/valvetrain_repair.htm

wesintl
07-01-2006, 02:23 PM
I used the Ige method and beat the hell out of it :D

I think i'm going to have to do a full rebuild on the 3 speed tranny though. I really didn't want to dive into it but I think it's a pretty good source of leaks other than the rear main not to mention the needle bearings falling out everywhere :( anyone have a kit handy or a good 3speed tranny?

Rzeppa
07-01-2006, 04:08 PM
I used the Ige method and beat the hell out of it :DLOL! For future reference, I think BVB has the SST. Also, Alan Loshbaugh used a Sears posi-loc puller when he did his H41. I have the model number written down somewhere...

I think i'm going to have to do a full rebuild on the 3 speed tranny though. I really didn't want to dive into it but I think it's a pretty good source of leaks other than the rear main not to mention the needle bearings falling out everywhere :( anyone have a kit handy or a good 3speed tranny?I have an excellent condition 3 speed that will be out of my 71, hopefully this weekend. No leaks that I am aware of, other than the one between the tranny and the t-case, but that seal actually goes on the input of the t-case. Obviously, if yours is a top-loader you'll have to swap those parts over, but if it's a 3 on the tree it'll be a bolt-up. Anyway, you're welcome to have the tranny for free if you want it.

Shark Bait
07-01-2006, 09:39 PM
I've got a 4-speed case in my garage, thanks to Orion. :D

wesintl
07-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks Jeff, I may take you up on that offer. I have a 3 on the tree that i'm going to keep that way. If i ordered bearings or even a kit it wouldn't be here for a few days. With the 4th this week and next weekend i'm in Va i most likely can't finish the project reseal for another month :eek: The weekend after that is the ghost town and I haven't been wheelin in a while. I have all the gaskets and seals seals except for the rubber boots on the xfer and I should probably replace the pilot bearing. It's got a small catch on it but it doesn't want to come out this morning.

nuclearlemon
07-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks Jeff, I may take you up on that offer. I have a 3 on the tree that i'm going to keep that way. If i ordered bearings or even a kit it wouldn't be here for a few days. With the 4th this week and next weekend i'm in Va i most likely can't finish the project reseal for another month :eek: The weekend after that is the ghost town and I haven't been wheelin in a while. I have all the gaskets and seals seals except for the rubber boots on the xfer and I should probably replace the pilot bearing. It's got a small catch on it but it doesn't want to come out this morning.
ron at rocky mountain cruisers has rebuild kits in stock usually...you might give him a call tomorrow.

Rzeppa
07-02-2006, 05:28 PM
ron at rocky mountain cruisers has rebuild kits in stock usually...you might give him a call tomorrow.He didn't have a t-case kit when I was there two weeks ago, and he explained that these days he usually orders various kits in to order rather than stocking them. I can understand that from a small vendor's perspective, it would be expensive to keep all the different variations in stock, kits for a small shop are slow moving items. For example, Joe at CTS keeps certain kits in stock like knuckle kits for mini/runner/60 etc., but both Ron and Joe, as well as Lance at Iron Pig have told me that the older rigs just don't represent as much business as newer models.

On top of that, very few people bother with 3 speed trannies; most either swap in a 4 speed of one sort or another (H41/42, SM420/465) or swap in a good used one. I applaude Wes for keeping this rig stock, and it is with mixed feelings I am swapping an H42 into my 71. I will miss the 3 on the tree, but not the first gear ratio!