PDA

View Full Version : Tincup, St. Elmo, Hancock, Marshalls, Sargents need some advice

thelal
10-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Looking to run some trails on a long weekend camping tip with family.
Not looking for anything too hard and looking to camp at one spot and basically do a few trails and maybe do a complete circular route on the way back.

"Seems" to be do-able with several trails that appear to connect. Running this in about 2 wks (Oct 15th) so not expecting any change in weather/terrain.
I've not done these trails/area so looking for some advice on
- what trails to run (Tincup, Cumberland/Alpine/Quartz/Waunita, Tomichi, Black Sage, Monarch, Hancock, Marshalls, Sargents ..)
- trail conditions and time to run
- how busy?
- any good camping spots/fishing
- running in 97' 80 with good clearance trailer
- will 265's (At's) work ok or need 34" or 35" tires?

Thanks
Brendan

Hulk
10-04-2011, 02:32 AM
My biggest concern would be snow. Your truck is set up fine to handle those trails.

MDH33
10-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Not sure I would want to pull a trailer over Tomichi. It's really narrow and soft on a ledge. Other than that, there is great camping and scenery out there. It may be busy because it will be Rifle hunting season at that time.

nakman
10-04-2011, 08:43 AM
There's one switchback on Hancock that would require you to unhook the trailer and pivot it around somehow... not sure I'd want to do that alone?

When we explored that area as a group in the past we would camp down towards Pitkin, then explore up from that area- funnest way to get there with a trailer is Taylor Res, then over Cumberland pass. Most paved way is Monarch Pass, then up.

Beater
10-04-2011, 10:15 AM
I dont know that I would do these trails alone with or without a trailer, but I am super wimpy about such things. while the terrain is "easy" in terms of obstacles and such, there are several sections of scree and shelf that are precarious.

Ask Nakman about sliding a wheel off an easy trail. Pulling a trailer would give an exponential multiplier on the pucker factor there for me. no trailer, and I would say go for it providing no snow providing proper prep.

not calling you out tim, just an instance that I recall.

corsair23
10-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Here are a couple threads that might help you plan your trip - The GTR '09 run was pretty much what you are wanting to do with camping in one spot and trips out from "base"

Pre-planning Thread (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=9902)

Post Run Report (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10455) (including the infamous Nakman recovery mentioned above)

AHorseThief
10-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Checking the weather, it looks like rain down lower and likely snow as you head up in elevation. Those trails get a lot more interesting when things are wet and muddy.

thelal
10-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the good info and links.
Tim's little 'fun' on Tincup and some of the pics looks like maybe ruleing that one out for this family trip.
However the incoming winter storm with snow, and fellow 80 truck may have to postpone. Will likely do something else more local

Thanks

Corbet
10-06-2011, 09:19 PM
We have been getting snow all day down here at the house (8000 ft). Most of those trails could be buried by the 15th.

Inukshuk
10-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Black Sage and Monarch are nice dirt roads. Could do them in a car.

farnhamstj
10-07-2011, 09:43 AM
There are plenty of campgrounds in that area. Mirror lake is very nice. I will also recommend dispersed camping just north of Taylor Res. There are some great spots along Taylor creek with plenty of fishing opportunities. It's 24 degrees here today with 1" of snow on the ground. Bring extra warm clothes for sure. Weather can change fast and it could be 70 and sunny that weekend. good luck