PDA

View Full Version : H.r.1505

Bruce Miller
10-04-2011, 08:09 AM
http://www.pewenvironment.org/news-room/other-resources/maps-us-public-lands-at-risk-from-hr-1505-85899361611

Scary proposed legislation. Hope this is the correct spot for this link.

Bruce Miller
10-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Included in the article on H.R. 1505 is an article, "Protecting Wilderness in Colorado's Rugged San Juan Mountains. Included is this:
“This is how wilderness can and should be done. Not only will this bill ensure generations of Coloradans will be able to enjoy its stunning beauty, but it will also help create jobs and boost the economy of the entire area.”

- Sen. Mark Udall

Not sure how we would enjoy the stunning beauty of Black Bear Pass, for example, once it's become wilderness. Kind of glad we were able to run the trails included in the Triple Bypass and the Ouray trips. They may soon be only memories. How does additional wilderness designations create jobs? I must have dozed off during Econ 101 when they covered that topic.

DaveInDenver
10-04-2011, 08:55 AM
The law is designed to exempt Homeland Security from laws.

The summary states it pretty clearly, "To prohibit the Secretaries of the Interior and Agriculture from taking action on public lands which impede border security on such lands, and for other purposes." Basically it makes the DHS exempt from laws like the Wilderness Act, which I presume means they would be able to drive and build anywhere they damn well please.

The Pew people said, "While we strongly support making America’s borders more secure, this sweeping waiver of the nation’s bedrock environmental and land management laws has little to do with accomplishing that goal.

"Instead, the proposed legislation would give unprecedented authority to a single federal agency to destroy wildlife habitat and wetlands, impair downstream water quality and restrict activities such as hunting, fishing and grazing. It would leave Congress and the public without a voice, even though at stake are hundreds of popular destinations including Glacier National Park, the Florida Everglades and beaches along Cape Cod, the Great Lakes and the California coastline."

Which is funny, because states like Colorado are heavily impacted but unless my high school geography teacher was wrong (I did go to public school, so this is a possibility), we don't have a border that would require Wilderness access to protect.