PDA

View Full Version : iPhone

wesintl
10-04-2011, 07:18 PM
New iphone is coming out sell me your old one and get the latest greatest.
verizon compatible.

Beater
10-05-2011, 07:55 AM
i need to check what i can do for friends - you want a 4gs or what?

wesintl
10-05-2011, 08:19 AM
yeah.. I don't care. I just don't want to pay the data plan to get a new one. I just want to be able to call and then use the net when there is free wifi close by.

60wag
10-05-2011, 09:06 AM
I don't know if Verizon is like ATT but I was playing with some phones and put my non-data plan sim card in my work issued Blackberry and instantly got an email that my plan was automatically upgraded to a data plan. It took a couple of days to convince ATT to switch back to the old plan. I won't put my personal sim card in any more "smart" phones.

Beater
10-05-2011, 09:47 AM
sorry wes - carriers don't allow devices without data plans. not a one.

with T you can get a tiered (use as you go) plan starting about 15.00 plus the phone charge.

DaveInDenver
10-05-2011, 10:02 AM
T-Mobile doesn't charge us a monthly fee, just pay for any data we use. Ours is a monthly $50/month family plan, the very lowest they offer. Since we have old flip phones I can't say how expensive or good data service might be, though. I've only checked it once to make sure it worked and got a charge the next month, $0.80 I think.

wesintl
10-05-2011, 10:13 AM

I don't believe that to be true. If i buy a new one at contracting price then yes you have to get a data plan. If i buy one retail (or where ever else) i'm free to do as I please with that phone. Show me the fine print where I have to upgrade to a data plan if I purchased my own phone elsewhere. They may call and make it seem like I have to upgrade or try to sell me on it but I don't think it's written anywhere where they can force me to upgrade.

I don't have a problem with jail breaking it or rooting it before hand either :)

Hulk
10-05-2011, 10:42 AM
My wife is planning to get the 4S. I can ask her if she wants to sell her iPhone 3G. (This is the model before the 3GS.) Not sure if you want one this old.

Beater
10-05-2011, 11:18 AM
pay as you go is still a data plan.
The phones need the data plan to function, for triangulation and what we call "out of band" signaling/communication.

This applies to windows, android, RIM, palm/hp, and apple os. Also, be very leary of the pay as you go, because the apps that use location data and gps (which is almost all, as that data is used for marketing purposes) is all data xfer.

Now, I am a data networking guy, not mobility, but I do pick a bit up through osmosis here.

corsair23
10-05-2011, 03:26 PM
I don't believe that to be true. If i buy a new one at contracting price then yes you have to get a data plan. If i buy one retail (or where ever else) i'm free to do as I please with that phone. Show me the fine print where I have to upgrade to a data plan if I purchased my own phone elsewhere. They may call and make it seem like I have to upgrade or try to sell me on it but I don't think it's written anywhere where they can force me to upgrade.

I don't have a problem with jail breaking it or rooting it before hand either :)

Wes, let me know if you are successful - We were going to get the :Princess: an iPhone for her bday (outside of Verizon) but Verizon told us that they would not allow her to use the phone on the network unless we upgraded to the data plan. :mad: - I'm not paying an addition $50/month for something we don't want and won't use.

I'm with you...If I buy the phone through them and get some special pricing then I can understand the need to upsell me the data plan so they can recoup the cost. But if I buy a phone myself, outside of Verizon, why do they force me to have a data play? Verizon told us the data plan was a requirement with ANY smart phone whether bought through them or not.

I'm not sure what I'll do when they no longer have the Star Trek communicator type flip phones anymore and have nothing but "smart phones" :confused:

wesintl
10-05-2011, 04:31 PM
uh..well, someone let me borrow their iphone and we'll find out.. :D

I've read in some forums it might need to be jail broken first though.

I just want to look cool with an iphone. you know like back in the day you could put a car phone antenna on the car and not have a car phone ;)

Hulk
10-05-2011, 04:34 PM
If you want to do this, my recommendation would be to get an iPod Touch. If you have Wifi access, it works exactly like an iPhone. Read here:
How to Turn Your iPod touch into an iPhone: 4G Edition (http://lifehacker.com/5636976/how-to-turn-your-ipod-touch-into-an-iphone-4g-edition). No monthly fees of any kind unless you're trying to stay connected out of wifi range.

The only thing you won't have is connectivity to regular mobile phone service outside of a wifi network, but you can keep your old flip phone for that.

wesintl
10-05-2011, 04:40 PM
that is an option but I dont want to carry all that around. If I go that route i'll buy a nook color off craigslist for $150, root it and and make a tablet and have something a little bigger and more powerfull than a ipod and smaller than an ipad for a quarter of the mulah.

DaveInDenver
10-05-2011, 04:47 PM
The only thing you won't have is connectivity to regular mobile phone service outside of a wifi network, but you can keep your old flip phone for that.
Since the iPhone is a pretty lousy at being a telephone, you're probably not giving up much doing that either.

Uncle Ben
10-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Since the iPhone is a pretty lousy at being a telephone, you're probably not giving up much doing that either.

That is a 'tru dat" statement of wisdom right there! Wonder what it would have come out on this post as if you had voice texted it from an ICrap? :lmao::lmao:

Beater
10-05-2011, 05:10 PM
I can't comment on the phone thing. but let's just say there are some devices that funtion better as phones, and some that function better as portable computers.

j

Beater
10-05-2011, 05:11 PM
oh - they're not as cool - but the windows devices are rock solid, at least everyone I have seen, and they are also great phones. HOWEVER - data issue still remains.

Jacket
10-05-2011, 05:14 PM

Yea - but the IPad is great at it. ;)

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/1/27/1264620454378/Apple-iPad-picture-modifi-001.jpg

Hulk
10-05-2011, 05:14 PM

I've have the Verizon iPhone since February. Best mobile phone I've ever had.