PDA

View Full Version : where to get front rotors turned (97 LX)

Clint Z
10-05-2011, 02:55 PM
I want to get the rotors turned on my truck because they are slightly warped. The truck only has 12k on front repac. Does anyone know where to get the front rotors turned on the vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

Clint

Romer
10-05-2011, 03:38 PM
toy car care can do it on Arapahoe Rd and Centennial

I used Brakes plus on on Arapahoe and Dayton

Wes's suggestion is cheaper if you want to take them off, but on an 80 that means tearing down the front axle. The other places will do them on the vehicle

L43dean
10-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Havana Machine/Napa is an independent Napa dealer. On Havana just north of Mississippi. I have had rotors and flywheels done well there.

wesintl
10-05-2011, 03:41 PM
oh.. you want to do it on the vehicle... most of the brake places can do that.

ugh. I need to read mo betta :(

Uncle Ben
10-05-2011, 03:41 PM
toy car care can do it on Arapahoe Rd and Centennial

I used Brakes plus on on Arapahoe and Dayton

Wes's suggestion is cheaper if you want to take them off, but on an 80 that means tearing down the front axle. The other places will do them on the vehicle

Good question and good to know answers! I thought the only shops rich enough to have on vehicle lathes were stealerships.

L43dean
10-05-2011, 03:57 PM
On the vehicle. Check, got it.

Jacket
10-05-2011, 04:11 PM
You only have to repack the hub and get a new seal if you pull the rotor. It's not that bad..... :wrench:

Dr. Schlegs
10-05-2011, 04:57 PM
You only have to repack the hub and get a new seal if you pull the rotor. It's not that bad..... :wrench:

I have two sets of brakes. One that is on the vehicle and one that I have ready to mount up. Then I just rotate them and have the set coming off measured and turned. Taking the Rotor off is easy. You have the dust cap, snap ring, flange, and then the two 54MM ? nuts and the star washer. 6 bolts hold the rotor to the hub.

Did you upgrade to the 100 series pads in the front?

RicardoJM
10-05-2011, 05:14 PM
... Taking the Rotor off is easy. You have the dust cap, snap ring, flange, and then the two 54MM ? nuts and the star washer. 6 bolts hold the rotor to the hub. ...

That sounds like the voice of first hand experience:thumb:.

corsair23
10-05-2011, 05:39 PM
I have two sets of brakes. One that is on the vehicle and one that I have ready to mount up. Then I just rotate them and have the set coming off measured and turned. Taking the Rotor off is easy. You have the dust cap, snap ring, flange, and then the two 54MM ? nuts and the star washer. 6 bolts hold the rotor to the hub.

Did you upgrade to the 100 series pads in the front?

Don't forget the always fun cone washers :hill:

Cost wise it is more expensive to have the rotors turned on the vehicle vs. loose but then again it is a lot quicker...Just for kicks, ask any of the places mentioned what just the labor cost to replace your rotors is :eek: :D

powderpig
10-06-2011, 05:41 AM
Make sure what you are feeling is a warp and not the calipers sticking. Easy check, either jack up the whole axle, put truck in t-case in neutral and spin the tire. If you get a even sound of the rotor and brake pad, then no warp(cheap way, more expensive is to run a dial indicator). If you get to uneven sound of a warped rotor, then you have one.
Sticking calipers are a problem on the 80 series and can create the feeling of a warped rotor.

Dr. Schlegs
10-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Don't forget the always fun cone washers :hill:

Cone washers I lumped in with the flange step. OH MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR KUNCKLE STUDS ARE TIGHT TOO.:o