PDA

View Full Version : Generic Cat for 1980 FJ40

SteveH
10-06-2011, 11:31 AM
The cat converter in my 1980 FJ40 has cratered - the internals are rattling horribly. The current cat is a generic 8" long mini-cat - not Toyota. Pipe dia. is 2.5". The factory cat might have been longer, based on the large heat shield under the truck.
I want the truck to be 'stock' - or else I'd install a straight pipe.

Summit Racing sells a variety of 13"-16" long cats for $75 or so - should I just pick one, or is there a best choice/favorite for this?

Thanks,

Steve

Uncle Ben
10-06-2011, 11:48 AM
The cat converter in my 1980 FJ40 has cratered - the internals are rattling horribly. The current cat is a generic 8" long mini-cat - not Toyota. Pipe dia. is 2.5". The factory cat might have been longer, based on the large heat shield under the truck.
I want the truck to be 'stock' - or else I'd install a straight pipe.

Summit Racing sells a variety of 13"-16" long cats for $75 or so - should I just pick one, or is there a best choice/favorite for this?

Thanks,

Steve

As long as it's an EPA compliant converter size and shape don't matter much. One thing to remember, the larger the surface area the hotter your floor gets! Cheaper converters use mostly ceramic substrate which works well. Higher cost converters are usually precious metal substrate and work slightly more efficient but can get stolen and in my opinion just are not worth the extra money. If you vehicle barely passes emission you might have to use the better converter but generally not passing the e-test has deeper issues than just the converter. I would focus on what fits your budget and vehicle more so than what came on it stock! It wont affect your resale value unless it wont pass emissions.

SteveH
10-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks, Kevin - you made some good points I hadn't considered.

The local muffler joint quoted me $235. Time to DIY with something from Summit.

rover67
10-06-2011, 01:26 PM
I have used a lot of th echeap cats from summit and have had good results..