PDA

View Full Version : 80 for sale (damn you, Romer)

nakman
10-07-2011, 07:19 PM
:D.

sold November 2011, thanks! :beer:

Romer
10-07-2011, 08:03 PM
:D.

80 for sale. asking $14,500. post up your questions.. and if anyone knows someone, let me know, thanks! :beer:

he he he

CardinalFJ60
10-08-2011, 08:19 AM
straight up trade for the 40?

nakman
10-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Ooo that's tempting. but no, doesn't exactly accomplish the objective here. :(

MDH33
10-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Ooo that's tempting. but no, doesn't exactly accomplish the objective here. :(

What's the objective? Thinning the herd, or building something else?

Wish I had the cash. I would love to have another wagon to replace the old 60.

nakman
10-09-2011, 07:18 PM
What's the objective? Thinning the herd, or building something else?

Short term thinning the herd. Long term maybe making room for something else. The reality is I like the 80 better than the 100- it's cooler looking, it wheels better, I like how it handles better on the highway. But the 100 is the more practical vehicle for me & my life right now- shuttling kids, going camping with the camper & bikes, Depot/Costco runs, etc. The 80 is super set up, but just doesn't get the call as often as it deserves, a tank per month is no way to treat an 80 IMO. I feel it needs a better life than I can give it right now.

Yeah I wrestled with keep it another 10 years for Gavin, but I'm also faced with the need to finish a basement, plus I want to put a bumper on the 100.. so time for someone else to enjoy this truck today.

CardinalFJ60
10-09-2011, 09:00 PM
you might get a call or email from my neighbor. :thumb:

nakman
10-09-2011, 10:08 PM
you might get a call or email from my neighbor. :thumb:
Cool Shawn, thanks man. And here, I will list out some of the finer details..

1FZ-Fe, 180,000 miles on odometer. Actual is in the 175k range, but my speedo has run about 8% fast for about 35k miles. Or is that 32,200 miles... :confused: I never did the speedo correction when I went to 4.88 and 35's. Put that in the "needs list." :hill:

Suspension & drivetrain:
4" Slee lift w/ OME L shocks, 4.88 gears, 315 75 16 Toyo's. Slee Lower rear control arms, adjustable uppers. Slee castor plates. Slee DC front shaft, rebuilt rear shaft w/ new u-joints & .120" wall tubing. Stock birfields, swapped sides about 40k miles ago. All 3 lockers, CDL, pin7. ARB Front, Slee step sliders, Slee skid plate, M12 winch, Kaymar rear w/swingout. Gamiviti Expo rack :D.

Dual batteries (Hellroaring BIC, red top and Excide Orbital), Dual inverters (400w and 1000w), dual band ham radio (FT-8800). 2 painless accessory harnesses.. one under the hood with 1 slot available, and 1 in the back cargo area with 7 slots available. 1 manifold cooker.

Homemade drawer system, 7 mic holders, 6 cup holders, 10 grab handles, lots of creative interior lighting, CB. Rock lights, camping lights, under hood lights, unobtainable JDM license plate holder and passenger grab handle. JDM fog lights. In-cab battery voltmeter, in-cab air pressure gauge.. oh yeah York compressor OBA system with 3.5 gallon storage tank. Scion stereo w/ aux input. I would likely want to keep the Engel fridge, but it could be negotiable..

All maintenance up to date, head gasket done at 115k. Lots of things replaced for good measure. Have run Mobil1 oil since I got it (104,000 miles). does not drip oil- park on top of your best suit, I dare ya. Does not burn oil. You could bathe in the gear oil and ATF, and drink the coolant.

needs? could use a windshield, and will want tires in the next year. I dunno, needs someone to take it to Chinaman's Gulch to go camping, is what it really needs.. and it likes to go to Moab.. needs to be vacuumed. Oh, and the truespeed calibrator, that would be a good first mod for someone. Actually the DS seat heater isn't working, I've got a new one I'd toss in but I robbed the relay from it for the 100, sorry. Could just be the relay actually.. cool there's a good first R&R for the next owner. Put passenger side seat heater on the "works" list.

As it sits I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to Surf & Turf, and not even open the hood first. This is essentially a turnkey expo-ready 80 series, one I've spent the last 9 years working on. Honestly not really in a hurry to sell, but the longer I vacillate the more I think it's the right thing to do. 'm going to do my best to drive it a lot in the mean time.. taking it on the SNR. alright that was run to reminisce, thanks for reading! :beer:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=6200&stc=1&d=1190255305

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=20275&stc=1&d=1281495585

(rtt not included)
http://www.gamiviti.com/images/racks/80_expo_yakima4.jpg

Hulk
10-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Wow, another one bites the dust. I know where you're coming from, Tim. This was the same process I went through when selling my 40. Good luck.

pmccumber
10-10-2011, 08:55 PM
I had a beautiful 40 for almost 10 years and sold it because we moved to Florida and were buying a beautiful little 2bd 1901 house on the intercoastal. Lived there 6 months and moved back to Arizona. I wished I had my 1980 FJ40 with <60k miles and not a speck of rust every single time I thought of it.

I had a 60 for 7 years and sold it because I needed a better family car when the boy was born. We got an RX300 and I had a near terminal case of buyers remorse. The only thing that consoled me was that the stock market crashed in 2000 and everything I was invested in was gone anyway. At least I only lost 1/2 of the $45000 that Lexus cost me before I got rid of it.

Now I have an 80, my favorite car ever outside of my parents Crown Vic with the huge back seat but that is a different story.

I am gonna be a custodian of this thing to my grave. I understand the logic Tim, but make sure you're not gonna be setting $1000 bills on fire in 4 years when you buy another one.

azcromntic
10-12-2011, 09:56 AM
That's true. I lost my job a while back and thought about selling my 80. There were a lot of people interested in buying it however it dawned on me; If I sell it now, with all I have in it and the baselining I've done, I'd be losing more money than making; especially since I knew I'd get another one. I'd probably get the same return as if the bank took it; would be deducted from what I owe.

Luckily I found another job and life is good for now.

Then, I thought I wanted to sell it because I could buy one in better condition and I originally wanted "LX450" stamped on it. During that time I waffled back and forth on selling it and as luck would have it I had to replace the pinion and carrier bearings in the rear. Once again it dawned on me: If I get a new one now then I'll have to dump just as much money into it to baseline it AND possibly have to do the same 3rd member repairs to it, AGAIN. So what would I gain?

Rzeppa
10-12-2011, 01:06 PM
I had a beautiful 40 for almost 10 years and sold it because we moved to Florida and were buying a beautiful little 2bd 1901 house on the intercoastal. Lived there 6 months and moved back to Arizona. I wished I had my 1980 FJ40 with <60k miles and not a speck of rust every single time I thought of it.

I had a 60 for 7 years and sold it because I needed a better family car when the boy was born. We got an RX300 and I had a near terminal case of buyers remorse. The only thing that consoled me was that the stock market crashed in 2000 and everything I was invested in was gone anyway. At least I only lost 1/2 of the $45000 that Lexus cost me before I got rid of it.

Now I have an 80, my favorite car ever outside of my parents Crown Vic with the huge back seat but that is a different story.

I am gonna be a custodian of this thing to my grave. I understand the logic Tim, but make sure you're not gonna be setting $1000 bills on fire in 4 years when you buy another one.

I don't think I have ever known anyone who has owned a particular Land Cruiser for any appreciable amount of time and sold it and then not regretted it. Usually a LOT.

I have never sold a Land Cruiser. And I am now really falling in love with my 60...

:cheers:

nakman
10-12-2011, 01:22 PM
I look at this differently. sure, there will be a lot of remorse and fond memories, and seeing other built 80's around to twist the knife, etc. will be easy to miss the 80, it's an awesome vehicle. But unless you're a dealer, or lone flipper, these are hardly money making investments, and the money you put in should be towards your particular use requirements and towards the level of enjoyment you want to get out of the vehicle. In the end, you should be able to look back and say yes, that was worth it. And for me, that is definitely true in this case.

Say for the sake of argument I've got $26,500 invested in this 80. that includes the original purchase price, and then cost for the major add-ons like bumpers, sliders, suspension, re-gearing, etc. I wouldn't count tires.. just as I wouldn't count gas or oil, or other maintenance items like brakes, as they should almost be a wash with any vehicle... testament to the Land Cruiser that maintenance items have actually been pretty low, and for the most part I've been looking for reasons to replace stuff. I don't know if that 26 number is right, it almost doesn't matter, and you can adjust the outcome up or down depending on what you think.

Sticking with $26,500, I sell for $14,500.. that leaves a clean $12k on the table, that could be classified as "wasted" or "lost" and "you'll never get that back." But I see that as a meager $1200/year investment over a 10 year period... or $100/month. Should that number be $125/month? $150? whatever... either way, big whoop. For only $100/month I was able to do a ton of cool stuff with my friends and family, and learn a lot along the way, and drive a vehicle I'd always wanted. That's an investment worth repeating, IMO, and one I will definitely do again.

edit/hijack: I looked at those three pictures above, and smiled when I realized that my son was with me all three times. If you've ever ridden with my kids, it's pretty cute to hear them point out all the 40's, 60's, 80's and 100's they see.. they spot them before I do sometimes, especially the 2.5 yo.. point being for me these vehicles, this hobby, and this club, are all about the experience and the journey, much more than the actual destination.

wesintl
10-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Calling Daniel...

ArmyYota
10-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Wow! Very nice rig. A little out of my price range, but exactly how I am hoping to setup mine when I get it.
Great inspiration!
Good luck on the sale, and congratulations to the lucky buyer.

Dan

nakman
10-15-2011, 11:16 PM
thanks, Dan, and welcome to the forum. And hey if you find yourself up north let me know, you're welcome to check mine out any time. :cheers:

and feel free to post up others you run across in that other thread of yours, you can always get a straight answer here (well, mostly always). I looked at that LX ad you put up: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=306136429&dealer_id=54958003&car_year=1997&systime=&doors=&model=LX450&search_lang=en&start_year=1995&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=used&distance=200&min_price=&rdm=1318695852747&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&sownerid=765463&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=1997&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=COLORADO_SPRINGS-PUEBLO&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=&max_mileage=&color=&address=80916&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&make=LEXUS&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=66&standard=false&showphototab=true

I guess since this is a "for sale" thread I can get out of my element and be a sales guy for a second. that's easy math.

LX450.. $10k to get it set up about the same way, add...

head gasket $1500

M12k Warn $1000

4.88 gears $2500

Dual Batts $600

ham radio $400

Inverters $500

Sliders $1000

rear bumper $1500

OBA system $200

Hard to say what that lift is, could be just $500 in larger OME springs and some OME shocks. Or, could be full kit with upgraded links, swaybar drops, castor correction, etc. Could be the same, could be another $2k difference- leave that out of the equation.. you'll still blow by 14 in a hurry!

edit: add another $2500 if that LX doesn't have lockers, can't tell from the pictures and you'd think they'd mention that in the ad. Dang maybe I shouldn't sell thing thing.. :rolleyes:

ArmyYota
10-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks for that. I really appreciate the advise. If I'm up that way I would definitely like to look at it to see what right looks like.
I really like the products you put out. I will probably be picking up some items from you when it comes time for my build.

Dan