PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? Shifter woes...

Rezarf
10-11-2011, 07:11 PM
So I was going to pull the knob off my 4 speed shifter and the threads that hold the ball on are stripped within the knob. So, I can spin the knob but the threads aren't backing off... it just spins.

I tried grabbing it with some channel locks and creating some pressure, but no go. Is cutting it off my only option? Any other ideas? Anyone got a 4 speed knob laying around?

Red_Chili
10-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Whack it. No other way I can imagine. :(

Uncle Ben
10-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Whack it. No other way I can imagine. :(

x2! I would break the knob off the insert with a heavy soft headed hammer. the insert then would be easy to grab ith channel locks or vice grips.

SteveH
10-12-2011, 01:14 PM
If you get the knob off, intact, you can epoxy a metric nut inside the knob and re-use it.

If you remove the shifter itself and put it in a vise, chucked up tightly against the knob, you might be able to pry the knob with a prybar (between the knob and vise jaw), while turning, and force it to come off.

Uncle Ben
10-12-2011, 01:20 PM
If you get the knob off, intact, you can epoxy a metric nut inside the knob and re-use it.

If you remove the shifter itself and put it in a vise, chucked up tightly against the knob, you might be able to pry the knob with a prybar (between the knob and vise jaw), while turning, and force it to come off.

Dude.....where is the drama in that solution? :lmao:

Rzeppa
10-12-2011, 01:23 PM
I have a spare knob you can have...

Corbet
10-12-2011, 11:44 PM
A new OEM knob is not much. I ordered one for my 60 when I got it.

SteveH
10-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Dude.....where is the drama in that solution?

OK - let me re-phrase - chill the plastic knob with liquid nitrogen, and hit it with focused gamma rays - shattering it into a plasma plume. There - is that better? ;-)

Uncle Ben
10-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Dude.....where is the drama in that solution?

OK - let me re-phrase - chill the plastic knob with liquid nitrogen, and hit it with focused gamma rays - shattering it into a plasma plume. There - is that better? ;-)

Much mo betta! :lmao:

Jacket
10-13-2011, 10:16 AM
I had a slightly different version with my Tcase shifter knob. Rather than spinning freely, my knob sorta seized a bit on the shifter and actually broke the top of the threaded part of the steel shaft off inside the knob. Whoda thunk that a plastic knob would hold up better than a steel shaft?

TIMZTOY
10-13-2011, 10:14 PM
grip, rip, and pull :eek:

Rezarf
10-15-2011, 11:55 PM
I ordered a new OEM knob... it was about as much as the aftermarket ones out there. I plan on using a cut off wheel and slice it down the middle... or at least around the middle ;)