PDA

View Full Version : Hey Brian (FatKid)... and any others

Red_Chili
10-12-2011, 11:19 AM
New issue popped up. It ran fine for a few months after putting in the blower.

Taking the Mighty Red Chili (1987 4Runner, 1996 3.4L V6 swap with recent blower addition, SAS, soft top, running the 2.4L charcoal canister system with 3.4L VSVs, 35" MT/Rs, info for the unfamiliar) hunting in Wyoming for Pronghorn, I noticed that every time I got on the boost, aside from the pleasing afterburner effect, I smelled fuel - slightly. Not running boost, the fuel smell abated. This was whether I had just filled up, or was running on 1/4 tank. Since most of the trip I was keeping with a 22RE powered pair of trucks, I had lots of opportunity to go slow and keep off boost.

I also discovered that if I drove it like a 22RE, I got 16-17mpg vs. 13-14mpg, LOL.

It hit me when I got home that maybe the blower check valve off the manifold might be leaking and pressurizing the canister system, but the blower check valve is rather new, and so are the VSVs. No codes. Any ideas? Do I need to add a check valve to the purge line on the 22RE canister? Roger Brown suggested one similar to the brake booster line.

Oh, and before somebody says "use the 3.4L canister system", I will... soon as you A) give me one and B) find a place under the hood where it might fit... :rolleyes::D

P.S. yeah, got two 'lopes :rip:. One shot at 550 yards that I am mostly pleased with after the crappy shooting I did the rest of the weekend. Those mile and a half hikes pulling a buck truck through sagebrush leave something to be desired... :lmao: Picking up two sampler packs and some jalapeno cheeseburger from Steve's Meats today... :drool:

thefatkid
10-12-2011, 12:02 PM
It sounds like you have boost pressure going to your evap system. It sould have ported vacuum. I'm not sure why this issue would just start up. Are you running a 7th injector?

If you have time, run it by tomorrow or Friday. I could check the hose routing just to make sure your not giving the evap system boost.

Red_Chili
10-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Sure, I could be there a little after 5 to 5:30 I think, Friday.

AddictedOffroad
10-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Mine was doing this at one point too. Mine never had that check valve under the throttle body. I have also heard of the boost gauge line going bad, and allowing vacuum to be pulled through the gauge and into the cabin.

Its actually a common thing I have read about. Could be a small slice in a vacuum line on the back of the SC too.

Beater
10-14-2011, 03:55 PM
New issue popped up. Picking up two sampler packs and some jalapeno cheeseburger from Steve's Meats today... :drool:

and when is dinner?