PDA

View Full Version : Electrical phenom in the 80 - door locks

Jacket
10-13-2011, 10:11 AM
I installed a new head unit in my 80 a couple weeks ago, and since the install I've got a couple of new and different behaviors related to my door locks.

1. When I start the truck and put it in gear to back out, the doors lock automatically. When I put it back in park after reaching my destination, the doors unlock.

2. When I use my key fob to lock the doors, they don't lock. The mechanism is activated (I can hear it), but the doors stay unlocked. If I use the switch on the door to lock the doors, they all lock just fine. When I use the fob to unlock the doors, it always works fine.

I don't remember #1 above being functional before I changed head units. Is the auto lock/unlock a feature I uncovered somehow? For #2, I'm wondering if there is a special sensing device for locking the doors via remote that might be failing somehow?

Regarding my head unit install, there wasn't anything crazy or weird for the wiring. I used an after market wire harness that I wired to the head unit wires, and then this harness plugs into the two OEM connectors behind the dash that bypass the factory amp. So I'm using a different harness then what the factory radio used, but still using the factory wiring that exists in the truck. I also spliced into the reverse sensor wire for the backup cam, but that's about it.

Any of you 80 guys seen this or know what's going on?

Inukshuk
10-13-2011, 08:14 PM
I chased gremlins for a while. Turned out to be speakers connected to my Alpine unit must not have their frames grounded to body. Cheeseman helped me there. This one I don't get.

TIMZTOY
10-13-2011, 09:48 PM
yes i belive that the auto lock is factory, its a setting in the body computer. that you can turn on and off. the key fob might be a bad ground or low voltage.

Jacket
10-14-2011, 12:45 PM
So if I have a key fob, does that imply that I have the factory alarm? I have no dash indicator for the factory Toyota alarm, but someone on Mud is implying that having a fob = having an alarm?

Here's what I have:

rover67
10-14-2011, 01:13 PM
That is a key fob.

rover67
10-14-2011, 01:13 PM
:d

SteveH
10-14-2011, 01:59 PM
On my '98 4Runner, that's a key fob for unlocking the doors, and alarm arming device.

Also, if you hold the top button for 3 seconds (or any other random amount of time longer than that required to unlock the doors), the #@$&*$ panic alarm goes off. Any company (Toyota) that integrates the panic alarm button with the door unlock button should be shot.

subzali
10-14-2011, 02:07 PM
And I've never figured out what the other button is for. I have the same one on my 2000 Tundra.

nakman
10-14-2011, 03:28 PM
I have an aftermarket alarm (Karr) and my locking behavior is just as you describe. Though on #2 it wasn't always like that, pushing the fob used to lock the doors, but now it doesn't lock the doors and instead just sets the alarm. Pushing it again both unlocks the doors and turns the alarm off. I rarely use the thing though, both trucks.. I just stick the key in the door.

60wag
10-14-2011, 04:46 PM
The auto lock is a setting in the alarm control unit under the driver seat. I can send you an operating/program manual if you can't find it online.

The not locking thing is a bit odd. Are the speakers grounded with the new head unit?

The second button on the key fob can be programmed just like the top one. I assume is was so you could use the same fob for two different cars. I setup mine to use the bottom button rather than the top to see if it would reduce the random panic alarms. It didn't help - I think the buttons are being pushed and held while the thing is in my pocket. It may also explain some occasionally short lived fob batteries.

TIMZTOY
10-14-2011, 11:23 PM
that looks to me like its just a keyless entry fob.. but yes it is a fob... :lmao:

Jacket
10-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the multiple confirmations that I do indeed have a key fob. :beer:

I installed new speakers months ago and they worked fine with the old head unit. Wiring had a + and a - wire for each speaker and the sound was fine. The speakers still sound fine in the new unit - no crackling or other strange noises.

I found Peter Parks' write up on the RS3000 on the 'net, so I'll give reprogramming the fob a shot and see if I can get the lock action back on track.

Rezarf
10-15-2011, 09:46 AM
That is a key fob.

I agree 100% with Marco... I am sure of it. :thumb:

corsair23
10-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Matt,

Where is your alarm control unit? Under the driver's seat or elsewhere? There was no "Factory" alarm in an 80 as I understand it as they were all installed once they arrived here (as I've read anyway). The most common one has the control unit under the driver's side seat.

On both my LX and the 80 I have what most people would call the "factory" alarms and use the fob like you show (although the LX one is different).

On the LX and the 80, typically when you start the truck the locks will lock. When you shut off the truck the doors will unlock. I say typically because if you get in the truck, start it, then drive to the mailbox and manually unlock the door, drop off the mail (not turning off the truck), and then drive somewhere and shut off the truck the doors won't automatically unlock. Also, if you get to your destination and someone unlocks their door before you shut the truck off again the doors won't unlock when you turn off the truck...Annoys the he!! out of me :hill:

Neither my LX or the 80 have ever locked/unlocked the doors based on shifting out of or into park...only when starting or shutting the truck off so my guess if you have a different alarm system?

Reading through the fob programming instructions I don't ever recall seeing it as an option to have the doors lock/unlock with the shifter position. You can set the beep to on/off, and some other stuff I can't remember.

Oh, and the 2nd button (bottom) on the remote? For both my LX and the 80 those are programmed to the other truck. Unlike most fobs where one button locks the doors and the other unlocks the doors, on mine the top button locks and unlocks. The bottom button is used to program another security system. So my one fob will lock/unlock my LX with the top button and the bottom button will lock/unlock my 80. Comes in handy actually. I set up the 80's fob so the bottom button unlocks the LX.

Jacket
10-19-2011, 11:03 PM
That was my mistake Jeff - when I originally posted I couldn't remember exactly when it happened. They do indeed lock/unlock when I start/stop the motor. It's just odd that they never did this before I put in the new head unit. Although I've pulled the negative battery cable many times, my latest theory is that having the battery disconnected for a day led to a sort of "system reset" on the alarm system (which is under my seat - I did some digging and found it). I guess I don't mind the lock/unlock behavior, but I wish I knew why I lost the ability to lock the doors with the fob. I haven't reprogrammed it yet, so that's something I'll try when I run out of other things to do.

60wag
10-20-2011, 06:51 AM
Have you put a battery in the fob recently? Maybe the old one is getting weak. Have you done the mod to extend the antenna wire? It greatly increases the sensitivity (range) of the system.

corsair23
10-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Got ya Matt

Not sure if you want to read these threads but here are some helpful threads I had bookmarked on MUD from long ago...Not sure if you have the programming etc. instructions but if not here is a link to them on Slee's site :thumb:

Need new remote (FOB)" thread for FAQ (http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/177791-developing-need-new-remote-fob-thread-faq.html)

Alarm remote quetions (http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/34469-alarm-remote-quetions.html)

Factory glass break sensor (http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/204957-factory-glass-break-sensor.html)

Grey wire mod (extend alarm remote range) (http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/233963-grey-wire-mod-extend-alarm-remote-range.html)

Link to RS3000 Alarm Manual (http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_alarm_manual.htm) on Slee's website

Programming instructions begin on page 19 of the Owners Guide - page 22 covers enabling/disabling the automatic door locking/unlocking function.

I'm with you that this was disabled in the past and reset to the factory default (automatic locking/unlocking = on) due to the extended time the battery was disconnected.

Not sure why the fob stopped working other than possibly that due to the length of time the battery was disconnected that the system also forgot the fob and you just need to reprogram it. Super simple, 5 min or less job. Only tricky part for you might be the fact that you mentioned you don't have the Toyota status monitor dealyo for the indicator.