PDA

View Full Version : New Winch

Corbet
10-14-2011, 10:30 AM
My T-Max is dead so I need to replace it before winter hits.

My current 3 options:

1. Purchase new SuperWinch Talon 12,5000 with Steel Rope $839
2. Purchase used Warn M12000 $750
3. Modify my ARB to hold a Warn 8274 I have but which needs a rebuild.

Advantage SuperWinch: new, warranty, waterproof, external brake for synthetic rope. Bolt on solution.

Advantage M1200: Faster line speed than above. But heavy, internal brake, 8 years old and not cared for the best. Probably need to tear it open and freshen it up. However has a new Amstel Steel rope and controller.

Advantage 8274: Fast, more rope, already have it. But I'll have to cut the ARB. I'd take the time to modify the recovery points like Robbie did too. And re-powder the whole thing. Cost? at lest as much as other options when all said and done.

What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards the SuperWinch as its new. But I'd really like the M12000. I struggle with the fact its 8 years old and could need some parts to make a solid unit. Modify my ARB sounds fun but in the end would be just work. But the cool factor of a 8274 on my 80 is a little appealing.

wesintl
10-14-2011, 10:33 AM
warn 12 all day long.

subzali
10-14-2011, 10:49 AM
ditto.

Corbet
10-14-2011, 02:02 PM
no love at all for the SuperWinch?

The used Warn M12000 sounded a little funky to me yesterday when I looked at it. I need to listen to my neighbors and compare. I pulled the motor off and there was a little rust inside. But not a lot. It just seemed rather poorly cared for. Removing the planetary side looked like more than I wanted to do in his driveway. The gasket looked pretty rough like it would not separate in one piece. Did not want to do that as say "sorry no deal". Bottom line though I think I would have to do some serious PM on the unit. And who know what I will find. Solenoid needs a little love too but works fine. It was on a Dodge 2500.

rover67
10-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Man, I took apart my XD9000i warn last season to "check" it and it was surprisingly easy to do. It also looked pretty good for how much i've used it.

Warn has a good reputation, and that winch will not be underpowered for anything. You also probably will use it a lot, so the synthetic cable will be really nice.

Corbet
10-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Man, I took apart my XD9000i warn last season to "check" it and it was surprisingly easy to do. It also looked pretty good for how much i've used it.

Warn has a good reputation, and that winch will not be underpowered for anything. You also probably will use it a lot, so the synthetic cable will be really nice.

I'm not afraid to tear into it once its mine. I'm just trying to keep the budget to a minimum.

DaveInDenver
10-14-2011, 02:51 PM
no love at all for the SuperWinch?
Never owned a Superwinch, so they might be fine. I have been taken care by Warn twice for little parts, sent no charge, plus I like that they don't change designs a lot so parts and repairs aren't problem. Just me, though.

nakman
10-14-2011, 03:22 PM
I jumped in on the Titan TW12 group buy this week.. I think it goes another week. Total cost $685 including shipping, for a 12,000 pound winch, synthetic line, hawse fairlead, safety hook.. and a set of deflators.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-S01euofo3xE/Toz_VDvDiQI/AAAAAAAAOAc/YuVA65dRWXM/s390/tw12_syn.JPG

Line speed very comparable to Warns.. durability apparently just as good? All reviews so far are positive.. I'm willing to take the risk here. It'll be a while before I can report on performance though, as I don't even have a bumper to bolt it to..

Corbet
10-14-2011, 03:40 PM
I saw that on MUD. After my T-Max experiment I'm going with a better know manufacture this time. The SuperWinch is made in China too. If it was USA I would have already ordered it. But it comes with better support and a lifetime warranty on the winch with 3 years on electronics. Everyone knows Warn is great with customer service.

Convert
10-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Cant go wrong with Warn, my M12000 is 8 or 9 years old. replaced the solenoids last year

rockrod
10-14-2011, 08:32 PM
My neighbor gave me an old crusty 8074 (8274 without the free spool option). I rebuilt it and modded my ARB bumper to fit.

I had to remove the center bar that runs across and replace it with a new piece of tube that bends out to make room for the gear case. I also had to space the winch away from the mounting surface and remove a little bit of the wing for the ratchet clutch. It wasn't too big of a deal and my first time out with the 80, I got stuck in the snow and used the winch to pull it out. It worked just like an 8274 should - fast and powerful however I had to double line pull. These 80s are heavy.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll315/coreydaspit/IMG_20110611_163928.jpg

Uncle Ben
10-14-2011, 09:03 PM
I have had 3 Superwinches now and i have never had a problem with them other than the cheap arse remote dying. Warns have proven themselves but you pay a lot for the name! All world class 4wd endurance type competitions use Superwinch! Ever heard of the "Warn" Camel Trophy Cup......... didn't think so........

Corbet
10-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Heavy and that's a lot of snow. Nice recovery shot. I figured double line pulls would be common with the 8274 but probably about the same speed as anything else anyway.

nuclearlemon
10-14-2011, 09:24 PM
All world class 4wd endurance type competitions use Superwinch! Ever heard of the "Warn" Camel Trophy Cup......... didn't think so........

i've never heard of the "superwinch camel trophy cup"

Dr. Schlegs
10-14-2011, 09:33 PM
I have a Warn on the 80 and a SuperWinch on the 40. I think they are both fine products. And Yes Randy they have both gotten used. One up trails and one up trailers.:o It's like the David Lee Roth vs. Sammy Hagar debate. :drumsticks:

rockrod
10-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Heavy and that's a lot of snow. Nice recovery shot. I figured double line pulls would be common with the 8274 but probably about the same speed as anything else anyway.

you are correct about the speed when pulling under a load, but the big difference comes when running the cable in after making the pull. It's fast.... almost too fast. gotta watch the fingers.

This shot represents the only time I have used this winch so far. This was a *slight* miscalculation on just how deep that snow was.

Uncle Ben
10-14-2011, 11:48 PM
i've never heard of the "superwinch camel trophy cup"

Apparently no one else has either as a Goggle search showed the error of my ways! :o:lmao:

Superwinch was the choice of winches for the early Camel Trophy events. The even died apparently from Superwinch and Warn sponsorship battles in which no one wins. Looks like Doc Schlegs metaphor is the true answer to the thread question. :rolleyes::homer:

Hulk
10-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Superwinch option is half the price.
It's new.
Superwinch is a solid winch -- folks have been running it for years.
What have you got to lose?

If you really want a Warn M12000, maybe you need to wait for another one to come up for sale.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-15-2011, 08:57 AM
I was on a trail and we were rescuing a rolled truck, when my buddy Woodsman's Superwinch failed. Not sure the exact cause but it was a bummer. I have a Warn m8000 made in china, Back when I bought it in 08' I thought the higher weighted Warns were made in the USA. It has always worked great.

I am sure the same failed story I just shared could be said about all winches from all corners of the globe.

I would say if what you are looking at has a good warranty and a good price, you are probably going to get similar results

farnhamstj
10-15-2011, 06:01 PM
I like when people think outside the box. Rebuild the 8274, cut and weld, rattle can. Skip the powder coat.

wesintl
10-15-2011, 07:50 PM
I'd make a decent offer on it. Put it on the truck and run it.

Warns are easy as pie to work on. Parts are readily available even on some of the oldest models. solenoids, eh, clean up the contacts and call it good.

I bought an m10 ranch winch that was 10-15 years old. It works so I didn't open it up. still works to this day. no issues.

The syn keeps it light and is worth a couple hundred. As long as it runs i'd hook it up and call it good. No reason to rebuild it if it doesn't need it.

planetary's sound way different than 8274's

corsair23
10-19-2011, 06:41 PM
M15K :D

Find some dude with a full size truck wanting to get rid of a M15K for a good price and jump on it....The guy I bought mine from never even used it, it was more for the "look" :hill:

Oh, and yes it will fit into an ARB bumper on a 80 with the spacers. I'm not sure yet though if it will pull the truck through snow or pull the bumper off the truck :eek:

Corbet
10-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Looks like I will be getting the M12000. Guy left on vacation while I was hunting Monday. Be back in two weeks. Should be able to finalize the deal then but my offer was accepted.

Corbet
11-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Picked this up for $550 today. Looks like the 12K won.

I need to order a new hook and a fairlead but other than that it seems like a winner. Never used 125'x3/8" Amsteel Rope although 4 years old. New controller. I plan to pull it apart and lube it up as the winch is at least 8 years old.

I should have taken a pic with it next to my old 9000lb T-Max. It definitely reenforced the decision to get the Warn 12K. The Warn is easily twice the size.

pics

Caribou Sandstorm
11-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Score! That Rope is worth 275.00 alone..

I forget but if you have an ARB front bumper, Christo sells a cool Fairleed that fits just right..

Corbet
11-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Yah, I've been looking at that as well as the plastic rollers from Viking Offroad. The hawse will look a little strange IMO on the ARB with the roller plate thing that the vertical roller bolt through.

I've actually got a new FJ40 bezel hawse sitting in the garage. Going to see if that fits too.

corsair23
11-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Yah, I've been looking at that as well as the plastic rollers from Viking Offroad. The hawse will look a little strange IMO on the ARB with the roller plate thing that the vertical roller bolt through.

I've actually got a new FJ40 bezel hawse sitting in the garage. Going to see if that fits too.

Nice score Corbet :thumb:

As for the hawse, it'll look a bit like this although this pic shows the non offset hawse fairlead vs. the offset version that you should use and I have on my ARB now. The look has never bothered me but your opinion may vary :)

The FJ40 bezel hawse would look :cool: but if it isn't an offset style then you run the risk of having the rope rub on the cutout in the ARB behind the fairlead...Not sure how big of a deal that is really but I went with the offset just the same in the end...

Will you have to install spacers? I can't remember if the M12K requires them or not...I know my XD9000 did and so did the M15K when I installed it.

Corbet
11-02-2011, 07:38 AM
I have one set of Slee spacers from my T-Max if I need them.

DaveInDenver
11-02-2011, 10:00 AM
I run the Viking Delrin rollers. Been happy with them so far (used just a couple of times, though).

wesintl
11-02-2011, 10:45 AM
that looks like a sweet deal corbet. The winch is really heavy. the addition of the syn rope is very nice and keeps the front end from being even heavier. That's a steal at that $