PDA

View Full Version : How to get your own Christmas tree from the Nat'l forrest?

Rezarf
10-17-2011, 09:07 AM
This year I want to take the family to get our tree from the Nat'l forrest. I am clueless as to where/when to get started. I assume there is a permit to apply for or obtain.

Anyone up for a Christmas tree run this year?

subzali
10-17-2011, 09:58 AM
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/christmas/

AHorseThief
10-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Down by Pine they have a whole tree cutting "event". They usually have hot chocolate and goodies for the kids on the weekends. We've never actually done it, but I've driven by a couple of times.

rover67
10-17-2011, 11:36 AM
We usually head over to the FS office in Fairplay and get a permit. They can recommend several places to go based on what you are driving.

MDH33
10-17-2011, 02:08 PM
We do Christmas Tree sales out of the Clear Creek office in Idaho Springs as well. The cutting area is the Pickle Gulch campground just north of Central City/Blackhawk. Smokey the Bear will be there as well as candy canes and hot chocolate for the kids. It's a nice short hike into the cutting areas. Lodgepole Only.

I've gone down to the area near Pine hosted by the South Platte District also. It's a little more scenic and spread out down there and you can cut other varieties of tree.

I'll be working the sale at Pickle Gulch, so if you stop by, it might be me in that Smokey costume. ;)

nakman
10-17-2011, 03:14 PM
I've done the Woodland Park event to help the CLC guys.. was a fun day, but a real long day.. 6 hours and 200 miles to get something I could have hand carried home from the Depot. but still a good experience. :)

Cheeseman
10-17-2011, 06:05 PM
You can go to the Pike Nat. Forest district office on Goddard road off of 285. They have permits you must purchase before hand and you can pick your date. I think the permit was either $10 or $20 dollars. Usually there cutting areas are down past Buffalo Creek area. But don't wait until the day you want to go you must get them early.

Rezarf
10-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks for all the info!

farnhamstj
10-19-2011, 09:18 PM
There are some real nice ones in the middle of the round-a-bout in Vail. They come with lights already on them.

Minturn FS sells permits also. I've been getting tree's near Camp Hale for a number of years now.

Corbet
10-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Just don't go out on a snow day and strap it to the roof unless you want a tree full of mag-chloride.

Down here its $10 and cut one from where ever in the national forest you want. We can actually walk from the house if we want:D

DanS
10-23-2011, 12:42 AM
Down here its $10 and cut one from where ever in the national forest you want. We can actually walk from the house if we want:D

You have to leave your property to get a tree? That sucks. :lmao:

If anyone is dead set on Doug Fir, Blue Spruce, or something other than Lodgepole and is too lazy to go down to Pine, we can hook you up.

Dan