PDA

View Full Version : One space after a period. Period.

simps80
10-20-2011, 01:44 PM
http://www.prdaily.com/Main/Articles/9587.aspx

Am I the only one who didn't know this rule changed?

At some point they changed the official rule to only one space after a period.

Totally random topic but just thought it was strange.

subzali
10-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Okay, fine, I get the point.

:o

Jacket
10-20-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm still a two space guy. I wonder if this might also have to do with digital storage? Do spaces take up disk space, or are they compressed?

Edit: It also appears that vbulletin abides by the one space correction. My two sentences above were separated by two spaces in my original post.

Red_Chili
10-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Yeah they take up space. Very little.

Myself, I think this is further evidence of big-government meddling!! How many more liberties must we lose before we realize we've lost to the new world order??!

Oh... wait... wrong forum. :lmao: Carry on...

60wag
10-20-2011, 03:35 PM
I heard that they are considering discontinuing the use of the letter Q as a cost cutting measure.

Uncle Ben
10-20-2011, 03:45 PM

Myself, I think this is further evidence of big-government meddling!! How many more liberties must we lose before we realize we've lost to the new world order??!

:lmao::beer2:

simps80
10-20-2011, 04:08 PM

lol
an actual lol

AxleIke
10-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Wow. I had no idea. I'm not sure I can get accustomed to that. Two spaces is ingrained into my hand movements on the key board.

AxleIke
10-20-2011, 04:45 PM

:lmao::lmao:

Hulk
10-20-2011, 05:01 PM
It's always been a single space in printed materials such as books, newspapers, magazines and brochures. I learned the double space after a period in 7th grade, reinforced in high school. Then I unlearned it in college in journalism classes.

In the graphic design world, one of the first things we do when we receive text is to de-double-space it. We just do a find for [space space] and replace it with [space].

corsair23
10-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Wow. I had no idea. I'm not sure I can get accustomed to that. Two spaces is ingrained into my hand movements on the key board.

x2

But it sounds like we need not worry about changing as the computers will do it for us :rolleyes:

SteveH
10-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Two spaces after a period comes from the typewriter days of fonts with no kerning. You guys must be OLD! ;-)

Computers use proportional fonts and automatically take care of the required/necessary space after a period. I have to hunt/remove the extra space in all my technical documentation.

timmbuck2
10-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Interesting...when I wrote a few technical books back in the 90's, I was told to use single spaces. Then just today designing a report for a client and they insisted on double spaces. I might have to send them that link.....but then I would have to go re-delete the spaces. :)

TIMZTOY
10-20-2011, 06:55 PM
aslongasyoucanreaditandallthelettersarecorrectwhocaresweretheperiods,comas,andperiodsare.

i a two space person :)

treerootCO
10-20-2011, 07:55 PM
I have always used two spaces...

Dr. Schlegs
10-20-2011, 08:06 PM
APA style calls for two spaces. Refereed journals disqualify you otherwise, even if you did prove your null hypothesis. :rant:

LARGEONE
10-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Darnit...now I have to go yell my wife she was right. Thanks a lot!

Cheeseman
10-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Is this the same as checking the torque on a nut and bolt twice. I don't have to do that anymore.

ScaldedDog
10-21-2011, 07:12 PM
It's always been a single space in printed materials such as books, newspapers, magazines and brochures. I learned the double space after a period in 7th grade, reinforced in high school. Then I unlearned it in college in journalism classes.

This. I hung out with j-majors in college, and have always used a single space after a period.

Mark

nakman
10-21-2011, 07:47 PM
News to me too, and I write a lot. Huh. I'm also checking the forum correction here, with my default 2 spaces after periods.

And Schlegs I didn't think you proved anything, don't you fail to reject the null? :)

Inukshuk
10-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Hijack: I have just transitioned to using a comma before an "and" in a series.

Example: I have owned a Ford Granada, Subaru Wagon, FJ60, VW Thing, and FZJ80.

simps80
10-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Hijack: I have just transitioned to using a comma before an "and" in a series.

Example: I have owned a Ford Granada, Subaru Wagon, FJ60, VW Thing, and FZJ80.

wait...
hijack of the hijack...was that truly a random list or did you really own a Ford Granada?

When I was a little kid my dad owned a blue 2door granada 1975 that at the time seemed really fast and cool...I know now it wasn't fast...but still somehow can't get over the notion that it was cool! :headbang:

flame on, mid-70's huge chrome bumper haters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inukshuk
10-23-2011, 09:32 AM
wait...
hijack of the hijack...was that truly a random list or did you really own a Ford Granada?

When I was a little kid my dad owned a blue 2door granada 1975 that at the time seemed really fast and cool...I know now it wasn't fast...but still somehow can't get over the notion that it was cool! :headbang:

flame on, mid-70's huge chrome bumper haters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine could be the lower one in this photo. Two door 77', 302 V8. Those bumpers worked great. I got hit lightly a few times, with nary a scratch! I still have the "Granada" logo.