PDA

View Full Version : CV Axle Options '99 Runner

rover67
10-21-2011, 05:51 PM
My Cube Neighbor has a 99 runner that needs new CV axles.

Any recommendations on where to go? northside is preferable since he's in Boulder also.

Don't really want NAPA or Autozone stuff...

Thanks!
Marco

Romer
10-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Rachel broke on in Moab, actually was just the boot. Bought one at carquest and it broke lietrally the next day. Taught me to use OEM only for this.

Are the boots just leaking, there are kits to bebuild and re-grease. If he doesn't feel comfortable, maybe he can hire Robbie to do it.

I bought a rebuilt on for a spare for Rachel and traded in the old one for it. I went through Oleg. He didn't do it, but knew someone else who did

Uncle Ben
10-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Actually, the NAPA and Autozone remans are probably the best option, certainly on value. Toyota gets about $50 for a rebuild kit and about $175 for a reman. Autozone gets something like $50 for a whole assembly (the core is more than the part). One of mine I rebuilt with an OEM boot kit and the other is an Autozone reman, both made it through the Rubicon and another few years after... It's not rocket science if you're after stock R&R.

Ya but your truck made terrible noises when we left Wendover! :p:

Uncle Ben
10-21-2011, 06:14 PM
That was a propeller shaft issue IIRC. :-)

Propeller with the wrong pitch?

Jacket
10-21-2011, 10:02 PM
My experience was the opposite of yours Dave in terms of the Autozone CV's. Seems like those would routinely break on the trails (like Romer's daughter). They usually come with a lifetime guarantee, which is only useful if you enjoy installing new ones every other week.

Of course all that depends on whether he wheels the truck. If not, I'd say go for the Napa or Autozone ones and I'm sure he'd be fine pounding pavement.

The other option to consider besides OEM or AutoZone is to see if Central Foreign or one of the local used parts resellers has one or two good ones. That's where I got one for my Tacoma, and it was 1/3 of the cost of new OEM.

rover67
10-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Yeah, my experience has been pretty bad with autozone CV's honestly..

I used to run lots of them in my cars and it was pretty common to go through several before finding one that lasted any period of time. Not a big deal if they are easy to R&R, but if it's for a daily driver that you don't want to mess with much, it might not be too fun.

How fast did your's wear out Matt? that was a pretty low mileage truck right?

Thanks for all the info here though, I am going to pass it along to him so he can make a decision.

-Marco

AxleIke
10-22-2011, 12:38 AM
I've been around the IFS world a time or two.

You simply cannot get better than OEM, except through RCV

ANY other crap you go with will be junk. OEM is quality, japanese steel. Autozone, napa, etc, use crappy steel.

I ran OEM CV's for years, with 4.88 gears, 10.7:1 low range, and a locker up front, and NEVER broke an axle, while a buddy, running the EXACT SAME STUFF, broke all the time. The difference? He used crappy, POS, Autozone/NAPA garbage, and I ran OEM stuff from the junk yard.

RCV makes old style stuff now in Chromo, but at well over a grand. They have some new style stuff, but again, its pricey.

Just FYI, but RCV makes longfields, so they know their stuff.

My advice: Hit up the junk yard for a good axle. Far cheaper and far stronger than the NAPA garbage.

FJCDan
10-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Yoda Jim's up on 69th and York sells used CV axel for about $25.00

DanS
10-23-2011, 12:45 AM
CVJ Axle (northside downtown) rebuilds them.

They were the only option in town for my brother's T100 (other than OEM for more than 3 times the price), and it's the "non-OEM" stocked at Stevinson as far as I can tell.

I was real happy with their turnaround (turns out not everyone has spare T100 CV axles lying around)--about half a day for us.

Dan

JadeRunner
10-23-2011, 10:30 AM
No question based on my experience. OEM reman. Done right the first time. Robbie agreed with me when I went through this a few years ago.