PDA

View Full Version : Is it too early to talk about CM2012?

rhyary
10-25-2011, 01:37 PM
And so my summer activities are over.
Did the last 4x4 trip for this year.
Put my Ducati away for the winter.

As I fall into the winter hibernation, I am starting to count the days for CM2012.

Corbet
10-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Not really. Talk all you want...

Red_Chili
10-26-2011, 01:09 PM
What Duc?
They run pretty well in winter too... LOL

Rzeppa
10-27-2011, 10:53 AM
What Duc?
They run pretty well in winter too... LOL

The snow doesn't melt in Albany until June...

:lmao:

rhyary
10-28-2011, 08:33 AM
This Duc. Can't find snow tires for it

RockRunner
10-29-2011, 12:11 AM
Nice:thumb: That you?

AreaBFE
10-29-2011, 01:16 PM
See you out there!!!

rhyary
10-31-2011, 09:35 AM
Nice:thumb: That you?

Yes it's me.

I am amazed at how much the machine determined how I enjoy the activity.

I really really like to go slow with my LX450. In fact I detest it if I have to hurry up. Last year after CM2011 I stayed for few more days. I did Chicken Corner idling in first gear listening to Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohn. I enjoyed that I did not have to catch up with anyone and was not holding anyone back. I routinely chug a long at 65mph no matter how fast the road is or how clear the traffic is. In town I rarely go above 30mph even in the 40mph. What I am saying is not that I like to go slow, but I like how the machine feels when it go slow.

On the other hand, on the Ducati I hate going slow. I have to go fast or I don't enjoy it. As a result and self preservation of my body and wallet, I rarely ride on the street. I just take it to the track and get my fix in a safe environment where everyone go the same direction, no cops, and no surprise sand in the corner.

RockRunner
10-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Looking good and I agree with the track.

xodeuce
11-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Yes it's me.

I am amazed at how much the machine determined how I enjoy the activity.

I really really like to go slow with my LX450. In fact I detest it if I have to hurry up. Last year after CM2011 I stayed for few more days. I did Chicken Corner idling in first gear listening to Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohn. I enjoyed that I did not have to catch up with anyone and was not holding anyone back. I routinely chug a long at 65mph no matter how fast the road is or how clear the traffic is. In town I rarely go above 30mph even in the 40mph. What I am saying is not that I like to go slow, but I like how the machine feels when it go slow.

On the other hand, on the Ducati I hate going slow. I have to go fast or I don't enjoy it. As a result and self preservation of my body and wallet, I rarely ride on the street. I just take it to the track and get my fix in a safe environment where everyone go the same direction, no cops, and no surprise sand in the corner.

There's a quote I really like from Ted Bishop's book Riding With Rilke:
You can go as fast as you like on a motorcycle--but never hurry on a motorcycle.

I agree with your sentiments though. For me, speed may be dramatically different, but either way hurrying screws with my focus.

NYCO
11-08-2011, 05:04 PM
any dates picked yet for the 2012 cruise?

Hulk
11-08-2011, 09:37 PM
any dates picked yet for the 2012 cruise?

Wednesday, May 2 - Saturday, May 5, 2012

NYCO
11-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Wednesday, May 2 - Saturday, May 5, 2012

thanks

was hearing through a couple people that it would be that weekend, but didn't see anything that looked official yet...

jonharis
11-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Book Cliff Cruisers would like to extend a hand with any needs you may have. We have members more than happy/able to lead / gun / cook etc. and our proximity to Baom makes it easy to shoot over there when needed. Let me know what you need and I'll put the interested parties in contact with you.

Personally I'd love to tail gun a moderate run or 2 on any of the days. Also, if you are need of any additional mapping I can start to get going on that this winter.

We'll do what ever we can do to take some of the load off of you guys.

nattybumppo
11-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Book Cliff Cruisers would like to extend a hand with any needs you may have. We have members more than happy/able to lead / gun / cook etc. and our proximity to Baom makes it easy to shoot over there when needed. Let me know what you need and I'll put the interested parties in contact with you.

Personally I'd love to tail gun a moderate run or 2 on any of the days. Also, if you are need of any additional mapping I can start to get going on that this winter.

Thanks, Jon. I'll be sure Stephen Rudi (leinesred), the trail boss, gets that information and we can get you guys plugged in on some leading/gunning

corsair23
11-15-2011, 12:11 PM

:thumb:

You can also look at post #2 in this thread:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=16628

It is the beginnings of a list of potential trails for CM2012 and where we have leaders/gunners and where we are short. For sure post up in that thread if there are some trails you and others would like to lead to help out! More leaders/gunners = more trails we can run = less congestion on each run = more fun :D

rhyary
12-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Any registration dates available?

MDH33
12-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Any registration dates available?

Last I heard it would be sometime in Mid to Late January. :cool:

Hulk
12-29-2011, 12:32 PM
We're shooting to have registration open on Jan. 15.

Doc McCoy
01-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Last years event was a lot of fun. First timer and almost felt at home. Can't wait to get back down to that corner of the world again. Are there plans for a couple overnighters again? Went on the Koko trip and that was a blast.

David

rhyary
01-03-2012, 12:09 PM
David,
I also had a great time on the Koko, are you and Nate will try to run it again?

Rami

Doc McCoy
01-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Hey Rami,

I'm pretty sure we're both heading down again this year. I am in for sure. I'd be interested in doing Koko and Top of the World again but it might depend on what the other options are. Either way, I'm sure it'll be a blast, so much fun last year.

I take it you're making the long journey from New York again this year?

David

MtnAddict
01-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Missed last meeting, anyone secure any sites at Slickrock yet?

MtnAddict
01-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Bump, anyone staying at SRCG??...

Corbet
01-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Bump, anyone staying at SRCG??...

I'm sure most are. SRCG takes reservations online and if you want to stay there best to book early (now).

Old40Dog
01-08-2012, 11:07 PM
SRCC will be base camp again this year. So the earlier the better for reservations in order to secure what you want as far as camp sites go. Look forward to seeing everyone again in Moab this spring!

Doc McCoy
01-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Does the permit allow for all the obstacles on Hell's Revenge this year?

jonharis
01-09-2012, 03:00 PM
What is the status from our brothers to the west (Wasatch)? I'm planning on doing the San Rafael Overnight again and have been trying to get ahold of Kurt for mapping purposes. I wasn't sure how the two of you coordinated things.

I have not decided where we are staying. SRCG left us with mixed feelings. We rented a cabin (not the one that caught on fire) for our kids to be in comfort. The swamp cooler was so clogged with cotton that it didn't run properly and after repeted requests, no one ever showed up to fix it. The bathrooms were atrocious at times and looked like they were only cleaned once daily.

On the other hand the atmosphere and group element was great. not having to drive after n beers was also very good.

We may end up staying there again and hoping the quality has improved or we might rent a condo with another family (if anyone is interested in the later or has any info let me know).

Rocket Man
01-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Hello Rising Sun from Alabama. I just made a reservation at SRCG for my first major trip west of the Mississippi. Is there a schedule of events and information about the overnight run? We will be leaving Huntsville, Ala. Friday afternoon to arrive Sunday (1700 miles). Is the registration up? Looking forward to seeing the beautiful sights! I hope you don't mind a newby. I have a 2008 FJ TT and a 73 FJ40. I am a member of the Smokey Mountain Cruisers group out of Tennessee.

Corbet
01-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Hello Rising Sun from Alabama. I just made a reservation at SRCG for my first major trip west of the Mississippi. Is there a schedule of events and information about the overnight run? We will be leaving Huntsville, Ala. Friday afternoon to arrive Sunday (1700 miles). Is the registration up? Looking forward to seeing the beautiful sights! I hope you don't mind a newby. I have a 2008 FJ TT and a 73 FJ40. I am a member of the Smokey Mountain Cruisers group out of Tennessee.

Registration is not open yet, but will be soon. Most of the trail info can be found here: www.cruisemoab.com

Air Randy
01-17-2012, 06:37 PM

Welcome! Leave the wannabe cruiser home and bring the real one :D. Just kidding, all rigs are welcome.:thumb:

RyanR
01-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Hey guys, I just signed up followed the link over from the Cruise Moab site. I will be attending this year and hoping to snag a spot on the double over-nighter too. I'm in Glenwood Springs, CO. If anyone else is in the area hit me up if you want go wheeling. I've got a dirtbike and dualsport bike too if any of you guys ride. Just wanted to pop in and say hi and hope to see you guys out there. :beer:

jonharis
01-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Hey guys, I just signed up followed the link over from the Cruise Moab site. I will be attending this year and hoping to snag a spot on the double over-nighter too. I'm in Glenwood Springs, CO. If anyone else is in the area hit me up if you want go wheeling. I've got a dirtbike and dualsport bike too if any of you guys ride. Just wanted to pop in and say hi and hope to see you guys out there. :beer:

Come on down to GJ any time! We have a few people from Glenwood who attend our runs. I ride a KLR650, if I get up that way during the summer I'll try to get in touch with you. I'm going to try to make it to the Cruiser-Q too!

Dusther
01-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Ya know waiting on the registration to open up is kill all of us.... but really no pressure

Hulk
01-19-2012, 08:28 PM
We're getting close. Really, we are. :D

Doc McCoy
01-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Well, after last year and my excitement for this year, and even though I don't own a cruiser ... I got myself a TLCA membership.

You guys gotta open registration so that I can start focusing spending money on dinner night raffle tickets and such. :D

BirdMan
01-20-2012, 11:05 AM
I was wondering if anyone has done Pritchett Canyon in a FJC.
Anyone done it? heard of, seen someone try?????

Corbet
01-20-2012, 01:12 PM

I don't know of anyone personally who has run it in an FJC. A quick search of youtube did not yield any videos of FJC's. Read the trail descriptions, watch some youtube videos of other vehicles on the trail and make your call.

Keep in mind you will have to have 35's and two lockers to even consider registering for it during CM.

Hulk
01-20-2012, 01:38 PM

Yes, I have seen two FJCs on this trail. It's doable. In addition to 35" tires and lockers, make sure you have a winch -- you'll be pulling some cable during the day. Almost everyone winches on Pritchett unless you have a rock buggy.

BirdMan
01-20-2012, 02:28 PM
I don't know of anyone personally who has run it in an FJC. A quick search of youtube did not yield any videos of FJC's. Read the trail descriptions, watch some youtube videos of other vehicles on the trail and make your call.

Keep in mind you will have to have 35's and two lockers to even consider registering for it during CM.

I did the Youtube and have asked around on 2-3 forums this is my first good answers. I have 34" tires, 2 lockers, 4.7 xfer, and about 3" off the belly.

Yes, I have seen two FJCs on this trail. It's doable. In addition to 35" tires and lockers, make sure you have a winch -- you'll be pulling some cable during the day. Almost everyone winches on Pritchett unless you have a rock buggy.

Winch, check. I have a couple buddies that want to run it and I have run a bunch of Black trail rock gardens at Rausch Creek with them.
I'm thinking it might be easier to bow out from dif trail and get in on easier than the other way around. Is that a correct assumption?

Hulk
01-20-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm thinking it might be easier to bow out from dif trail and get in on easier than the other way around. Is that a correct assumption?

The trails that fill up the quickest are in the middle difficulty: Hells Revenge, Golden Spike, Cliff Hanger, Elephant Hill, etc.

The easiest trails usually have some room, although our two new easy trails will probably fill up just because they are new.

Usually the hardest trails -- Pritchett and Behind The Rocks -- don't fill up. People worry about body damage and mechanical breakage on these trails, which is a very real concern.

Doc McCoy
01-20-2012, 07:53 PM
The trails that fill up the quickest are in the middle difficulty: Hells Revenge, Golden Spike, Cliff Hanger, Elephant Hill, etc.

The easiest trails usually have some room, although our two new easy trails will probably fill up just because they are new.

Usually the hardest trails -- Pritchett and Behind The Rocks -- don't fill up. People worry about body damage and mechanical breakage on these trails, which is a very real concern.

Just out of curiosity how does Moab Rim normally do?

Bighead
01-20-2012, 08:15 PM

The last time I ran Pritchett we had an FJ with us. I don't remember his exact set-up but I'll see if I can dig up the pictures.

What are the new ones?

Corbet
01-20-2012, 08:38 PM
What are the new ones?

Arches National Park Family Run
Dome Plateau

MtnAddict
01-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Ready for registration!! :thumb:

werpogo
01-21-2012, 04:13 PM
I did Prichett a couple of years ago in the rain. I have 35's and double lockers. I would have never made it with out the great spoting provided. It was great fun. The rain fueled some great waterfalls. -Larry

BirdMan
01-21-2012, 09:31 PM
I did Prichett a couple of years ago in the rain. I have 35's and double lockers. I would have never made it with out the great spoting provided. It was great fun. The rain fueled some great waterfalls. -Larry

Glad to hear that, as our rigs are very close. I dont have the extra go juice under the hood, and I have 34/10.5 LTB swamperz. And really, with the tummy tuck, dont we really run 5-6"taller tires anyway? : )

Dont know that 1 inch of tire will make or break me but I guess rulz is rulz,
What do the CM people say?

werpogo
01-22-2012, 09:58 AM
I had the LTB's and mine were closer to 33" than 34" The SSR's are a full 35" When I ran Pritchett I didn't have the "tummy tuck" yet. Maybe I will see you at CM.

BirdMan
01-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Look forward to it. I'm hard to miss, as you don't see many wheelchair users in this game. :thumb:

If I get finished in time, might have to bring the fresh built 4runner, no tire size issues involved. Otherwise a 07 SF FJC, floriduh tag

J Kimmel
01-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Glad to hear that, as our rigs are very close. I dont have the extra go juice under the hood, and I have 34/10.5 LTB swamperz. And really, with the tummy tuck, dont we really run 5-6"taller tires anyway? : )

Dont know that 1 inch of tire will make or break me but I guess rulz is rulz,
What do the CM people say?

pritchett runs are generally such small groups figure out who is leading that day and talk to them before :)

Air Randy
01-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Just out of curiosity how does Moab Rim normally do?

You usually won't have any problems getting on that run. It does have a fair amount of off camber stuff but is very doable with lockers, tires and skid/rocker armor.

Air Randy
01-22-2012, 02:28 PM
How long has it been since you ran or saw someone run Pritchett's with an FJC? The only reason I ask is, when we ran Pritchett's last year it had gotten so tore up and dug out from the Jeep Safari and the big buggies running it when muddy, that in places people had stacked rocks 3' to 4' high to get through some of the obstacles that dont have bypasses. Unless you have a really built long wheelbase rig the rockpile is almost impossible unless you want to risk a backflip or winch up it.

A well built FJC may be able to make it but you may be risking some body damage.

Dusther
01-22-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm def not against pulling cable .. but that does sound like a bunch of rock stacking.

Bighead
01-22-2012, 07:19 PM
How long has it been since you ran or saw someone run Pritchett's with an FJC? The only reason I ask is, when we ran Pritchett's last year it had gotten so tore up and dug out from the Jeep Safari and the big buggies running it when muddy, that in places people had stacked rocks 3' to 4' high to get through some of the obstacles that dont have bypasses. Unless you have a really built long wheelbase rig the rockpile is almost impossible unless you want to risk a backflip or winch up it.

A well built FJC may be able to make it but you may be risking some body damage.

The last time I saw an FJC run it was 3 or 4 years ago and it was pretty beat up then. I can only imagine how it is now.