PDA

View Full Version : Old Chinaman Gulch - Saturday Nov 5th

Nay
10-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Anybody up for a OCG run now that the snow has set in on the higher trails? I'm planning to bring my older boys, who are 12 & 11, and possibly the whole family.

Saturday, November 5th. Meet at the Johnson City truckstop 9:30 am., depart for the trailhead @ 10:00.

Uncle Ben
10-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Tempted! I have a bone to pick with Carnage - BV. Hall Pass might be tough to secure but if I can get the water damage repairs done down stairs this week I should have some freedom again! ;) :woot::woot:

Nay
10-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Looks like some weather is in the forecast for Fri/Sat. I hope to be able to do this 'snow or shine', although if it snows at all, OCG is pretty much a dual locker/winch affair.

Not much interest yet.... :hill:

Uncle Ben
10-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Looks like some weather is in the forecast for Fri/Sat. I hope to be able to do this 'snow or shine', although if it snows at all, OCG is pretty much a dual locker/winch affair.

Not much interest yet.... :hill:

Trying to see if the wife would like to spend the day/night at Mt Princeton Hot Springs. Trev is fairly interested in doing Carnage-BV too! Any malls nearby that a few 100's would be interested in? :D:p:

FJBRADY
10-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Thinking about it!

Red_Chili
10-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Hmmm... no time for elk hunting this year :( ... maybe time for wheeling... depends on a lot of things coming together this week...

PhatFJ
11-01-2011, 07:03 AM
I may be in..

Air Randy
11-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Dee and I are interested. Sounds like there could be two groups, one for OCG and one for Carnage.

Nay
11-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Definitely looks like interest for both. We'll tally up in a couple of days to see how many for each. :cool:

Uncle Ben
11-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Definitely looks like interest for both. We'll tally up in a couple of days to see how many for each. :cool:

I'm losing some interest in Carnage-BV as the forecast calls for wind, 30's and snow for BV. While I usually look for this as part of the adventure towing my trailer across South Park in those conditions is less than fun! Been there done that!

JadeRunner
11-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm in - unless, like Kevin says, for the weather and the commute issues. Would hate to spend most of the day on hwy 285 there and back.

Yankee Hill snow run or somewhere closer could be in order as a back up based on the new snow.

Uncle Ben
11-01-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm in - unless, like Kevin says, for the weather and the commute issues. Would hate to spend most of the day on hwy 285 there and back.

Yankee Hill snow run or somewhere closer could be in order as a back up based on the new snow.

Hmmmm....I like the way you think! Maybe even a run up Jenny Creek!

Nay
11-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Hmmmm....I like the way you think! Maybe even a run up Jenny Creek!

Agreed - I'd be up for something much closer if the forecast holds.

ajax
11-01-2011, 05:07 PM
id be down to run chinas, if u are going to do it

Nay
11-03-2011, 08:53 AM

Well, the forecast retains a chance of snow. Doesn't look like much, i.e. mostly continental divide, but still not a sunny forecast for sure.

OCG/Carnage or something closer? I figure pretty much anything higher up is going to be an early season snow run, which could be fun.

Open to ideas and inputs...I just want to get out! :hill:

Uncle Ben
11-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Well, the forecast retains a chance of snow. Doesn't look like much, i.e. mostly continental divide, but still not a sunny forecast for sure.

OCG/Carnage or something closer? I figure pretty much anything higher up is going to be an early season snow run, which could be fun.

Open to ideas and inputs...I just want to get out! :hill:

Still on the fence....looks like my hall pass is easily obtainable....

ajax
11-03-2011, 09:44 AM
calling for 6 to 12 fri in gunnison area with snow fri sat sun<ran grizzly obstacle in couple feet of snow last year that was fun, tried baldwin lakes anterio rd but it has ice under the snow on the first big climb at the start of the trail slid down bout 20 yards kinda sketchy, havent been back there lately so dont know the amount of snow there already, monarch had a good coating last time i went over couple weeks ago

Nay
11-04-2011, 10:21 AM
OK, folks...the weather forecast definitely has snow and blowing snow enroute to Chinaman Gulch and possibly on the trail. I'm going to drop that plan as I don't think any of us are looking for something epic.

The forecast is similar for the eastern side of the Front Range in terms of a snow run up Yankee Hill or similar. That could make for a fun day since we'd already be in the snow, but looks like we'd have wind up high and potential snow showers.

Time to make a call - I'll run something close like Yankee as a snow run if there is enough interest. Speak up :hill:!!!

Air Randy
11-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Were out for this weekend as other plans have come up. But were definitley interested in upcoming weekends.

Uncle Ben
11-04-2011, 12:43 PM
OK, folks...the weather forecast definitely has snow and blowing snow enroute to Chinaman Gulch and possibly on the trail. I'm going to drop that plan as I don't think any of us are looking for something epic.

The forecast is similar for the eastern side of the Front Range in terms of a snow run up Yankee Hill or similar. That could make for a fun day since we'd already be in the snow, but looks like we'd have wind up high and potential snow showers.

Time to make a call - I'll run something close like Yankee as a snow run if there is enough interest. Speak up :hill:!!!

I have the hall pass secured but just don't know if I wan to use it! :rolleyes: Wheeling the 80 is just so boring but freezing my arse off on milder crap in the 40 just isn't perking my excitement level either. Guess I need another rig in between a bad boy 80 and a long travel go cart..... :lmao::lmao: Guess I need a mini truck....naw....rather get a Subaru....:p:

Nay
11-04-2011, 02:26 PM
I have the hall pass secured but just don't know if I wan to use it! :rolleyes: Wheeling the 80 is just so boring but freezing my arse off on milder crap in the 40 just isn't perking my excitement level either. Guess I need another rig in between a bad boy 80 and a long travel go cart..... :lmao::lmao: Guess I need a mini truck....naw....rather get a Subaru....:p:

I think we should hold our hall passes - I try to use them on something bigger since life doesn't deal that many these days :hill:

Weather is gonna be poor, so let's plan another weekend and look at Chinaman's/Carnage BV again. I can't miss ending the year with that run :thumb:

So...run cancelled, at least for me...and we'll reschedule :beer:

JadeRunner
11-04-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm totally in sync with you Dave Nay. I want to do Chinamans or pass. Not enough snow in the front range for a snow run. So let's postpone.

PPFJ60
11-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Colorado Land Cruisers has Chinamans on the list for November 19th if any of the Rising Sun group wants to join in then you are more than welcome.

Uncle Ben
11-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Colorado Land Cruisers has Chinamans on the list for November 19th if any of the Rising Sun group wants to join in then you are more than welcome.

Bummer for me as I'll be hunting but I can assure anyone that doesn't know, getting RS and CLC together for a wheeling trip is always an epic time! :D:thumb::thumb:

Nay
11-04-2011, 09:29 PM

That would be excellent...except I am completely booked that weekend :mad:

JadeRunner
11-04-2011, 09:45 PM

Darn, I can't make that date either. Thanks though.

Air Randy
11-05-2011, 07:34 AM
How many of you haven't done the Liberty trail by Penrose before? It stays dry most of the winter, is much closer than driving to Chinaman's and it is no worse than Chinaman's as far as difficuly.

I would be up for doing that next weekend if the weather stays good.

J Kimmel
11-05-2011, 09:29 AM
:lmao::lmao: Guess I need a mini truck....naw.... :p:

I got your truck :)

JadeRunner
11-05-2011, 10:20 AM
No worse than Chinamans? Sure about that. Has it got easier over the years? If so I'm interested.

How many of you haven't done the Liberty trail by Penrose before? It stays dry most of the winter, is much closer than driving to Chinaman's and it is no worse than Chinaman's as far as difficuly.

I would be up for doing that next weekend if the weather stays good.

Air Randy
11-05-2011, 02:07 PM
No worse than Chinamans? Sure about that. Has it got easier over the years? If so I'm interested.

I take the Mule up & down it with no issues, my daughter drives it in her XJ just fine with only a rear locker and 35's.

The difference is OCG has long stretches of relative flat and easy areas between obstacles. Liberty is pretty much non-stop obstacles, sort of like the rock garden on Spring Creek but longer.

Nay
11-06-2011, 10:48 AM
I take the Mule up & down it with no issues, my daughter drives it in her XJ just fine with only a rear locker and 35's.

The difference is OCG has long stretches of relative flat and easy areas between obstacles. Liberty is pretty much non-stop obstacles, sort of like the rock garden on Spring Creek but longer.

I'd be up to give it a run.