PDA

View Full Version : Removing pins from harness connectors

subzali
11-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Has anyone done this for older Toyota connectors, like on an FJ40? Does anybody have the tool to do this? I'm trying to use some small screwdrivers and it's not working so far, I think the tool needs more of a rectangular end to it, rather than a blade like a screwdriver. I can't find any writeups or pictures of what's going on, I think I know what needs to be done though.

subzali
11-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Nevermind, I got it ;)

AxleIke
11-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Yeah, that is a royal pain isn't it?!

Glad you got it figured out. I'll have to have you show me sometime. I generally sit with a tiny screwdriver and curse until it comes free.

subzali
11-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Does anyone have the "official" tool though, or know where to buy it?

subzali
11-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Yeah, that is a royal pain isn't it?!

Glad you got it figured out. I'll have to have you show me sometime. I generally sit with a tiny screwdriver and curse until it comes free.

Well, I'm pretty much doing it the same way as you. I got one out, but can't get any more out, which may mean I've gotten as much use out of this tool as I'm going to get. I think I'm going to give up on this hazard switch I'm trying to fix, because it has some pretty severe issues, and I found one over at RMC that I think I'll try to pick up tomorrow :cool:

TIMZTOY
11-01-2011, 10:05 PM
patients and small tools is the key.. "T" pins are the norm and easiest

corsair23
11-02-2011, 12:47 AM
I use pick tools...Usually the one with an "L" shape on the end

Of course that is mostly on the LX...

I've got 2-3 hazard switches but I think we've been down this road before and mine are all the wrong year or something. I still haven't resolved my blinker issue in that when I signal right (or is it left?) all lights blink like the hazards are on :doh:

subzali
11-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Jeff,

From reading on MUD, the 80 series connectors are quite a bit different than the ones I'm dealing with on the 40. I think I have a line on a hazard switch that will match, hopefully by tonight's meeting I'll have it in my hand :)

Rzeppa
11-02-2011, 12:11 PM
40 series connectors are made by a company called Yazaki. I tried years ago to source them to build new harnesses, ran into a lot of brick walls and gave up. Generally the tool for connector pin removal will surround the connector pin such as to compress the tines at the base so the pin can be withdrawn straight out from the wire side. Molex and Amp are common connectors with pin removal tools that are readily available, but I have never seen where to buy Yazaki connectors, let alone the SSTs for them.