PDA

View Full Version : Telegraph Key

DaveInDenver
11-04-2011, 10:32 AM
So CW hams, what is your favorite type of key and what do you think is best to learn initially on?

Straight
Dual (Iambic or not)
Bug

Looking for a proper something to drive a practice oscillator. I have enough trouble learning languages (I'm not the least bit musical, so Morse has been a tough nut to crack). Tapping on a momentary switch has zero tactile feedback and I think I need something to push against so more of my noodle is involved.

xodeuce
11-04-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm actually interested in this as well. I've been (inconsistently) using http://lcwo.net/ trying to learn CW, but I'm with you. I think I'd learn it faster tying some sort of motor skill to it.

leiniesred
11-05-2011, 11:51 AM
I do better practicing with a straight key. I simply hook it up to the leads on a vom meter with tone for continuity check set on the meter. Super easy to set up anywhere even if the sounds are digital and annoying.

I have a Lionel J38 and a Lionel J36 key. The J-36 bug's dit side is too fast for me to learn with even set up as slow as it will go.

I don't have a 2 paddle key and haven't played with one either.

You are welcome to borrow either or both, Dave.

Beater
11-05-2011, 11:56 AM
straight. believe it or not, learning to tap on a table will do wonders. dah ditty dah dah dit.

practice phases that are catchy and real life. Call signs are a pita, so learn on reality.