PDA

View Full Version : Diesel conversions

PhatFJ
11-07-2011, 01:32 PM
So, I have been reading up a bit on different diesel conversions and thought I would start a thread on the subject. My 1970 FJ40 has an GM 5.7L, is mated to an SM465 and 3spd. Transfer case, runs ok, does great on the trail but, I am not thrilled with the gas mileage and subsequently the range even when I have 36 gallons of fuel capacity. I have been looking into diesel conversions not only for the mileage but the longevity of the motor and potential of using bio-fuel. I have read many posts about the "B" series Toyota motors and have come to the conclusion that price and parts availability is the biggest drawback to this choice. The Cummins 4BT seems like a good choice, good price and parts seem very available, I am not sure that they will have the necessary power but maybe. The last but not least is the MB OM617 (300TD) like Justin put into one of his customers. Very available at a good price, parts are also very available; the motor puts out good power and will run for a very long time. Many people have converted these motors to bio-fuel as well. The other thing I like is that Luke over at 4x4 Labs makes an adaptor plate to bolt up to a GM transmission like my SM465. Luke also states on his site that I can reuse fuel tanks and lines in place. In conclusion, I am thinking that this conversion could run somewhere around $2500.00 with me doing all my own fabrication and setup, I would double my gas mileage and the motor will last a very long time. At the price of fuel these days I think this may be a good way to go. Any thoughts?

subzali
11-07-2011, 01:35 PM
I would think a 4BT would have all the power you would want.

What about the Isuzu diesels?

PhatFJ
11-07-2011, 01:41 PM
I would think a 4BT would have all the power you would want.

What about the Isuzu diesels?

Although it seems parts are quite available for the 4BT, I have had problems finding a 4BT running at a reasonable price, seems most want around 3K just for the motor (well used). The adaptor is going to run around an additional grand.

I have not looked into Isuzu at all and know nothing about them. Do you have any information or experience with them?

corsair23
11-07-2011, 01:48 PM
In conclusion, I am thinking that this conversion could run somewhere around $2500.00 with me doing all my own fabrication and setup, I would double my gas mileage and the motor will last a very long time. At the price of fuel these days I think this may be a good way to go. Any thoughts?

The :cool: factor aside, how long would it take you to recoup the investment based on the gas savings?

I don't DD my 40...Actually I rarely drive my 40 :( - Is the 40 your DD?

I guess what I'm saying is basing the decision on the fact that you will get better gas mileage might not be the best business case :hill:

If you get 10 mpg now and bump that up to 20 mpg with the conversion, and using $4/gal as the average for fuel...At 10 mpg a mile costs you $.40 vs. $.20 with a diesel. My math is probably wrong but break even doesn't come until 12,500 miles. Of course if gas stays lower than $4/gal it will take longer to pay off the cost of the conversion - @ $3.50/gal the payoff comes after about 14,300 miles...Then again if gas goes up to $5/gal the payoff comes at 10K miles. I know I'm not taking into account the price difference of gas vs. diesel so that would play in there a bit.

Now if the 5.7L V8 dies and you need to replace the engine anyway :D

subzali
11-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Although it seems parts are quite available for the 4BT, I have had problems finding a 4BT running at a reasonable price, seems most want around 3K just for the motor (well used). The adaptor is going to run around an additional grand.

I have not looked into Isuzu at all and know nothing about them. Do you have any information or experience with them?

No, but here's after a quick search where I have seen them talked about:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/128585-isuzu-4bd1t-swap.html

Isn't the Mercedes engine a car engine?

art hog
11-07-2011, 04:04 PM
My 4BT in my 55 gets about 24-mpg driving from Rollinsville to Boulder on average. On the hwy it is closer to 30-mpg. I have plenty of power. You will not get that kind of mileage with a 4sp. You need an overdrive. I have a NV4500. You will also need to do a spring over and switch to FJ60 axles or mod the oil pan. There is a 3.3 cummins that is very nice but $$$$$$. Also from what I understand to run biofuels, ie: veggie oil you will need an aluminum fuel tank. Steel creates a scale on the inside of the tank and flakes off and messes everything up. So I have been told. I would go with the 300-td.

Woodsman
11-07-2011, 05:08 PM
You can't always justify dropping a diesel into an older rig with just fuel numbers. You get the benefits or better low-end power, more mileage per tank and you'll be able to do many trail runs without taking any extra fuel where you may have taken 5-10 extra in gas.

When dealing with a new vehicle, IMO, it is very easy to justify the extra purchase price (if you have that kind of extra changing in your piggy back) because the "diesel option" is generally about how much more the vehicle will be worth even when used. In other words, you'll get your money back.

Of course, you could also be a dork like my cousin and sink over $24K in your Cummins for pulling at the county fairs. Of course, he's almost 27 and still living with mom and dad.

art hog
11-07-2011, 06:15 PM
My reason to go diesel was to be able to run WVO. The 2f, V8 motors are not economically viable in this world IMO. who knows where the price and the availability of fossil fuels will be in the future. If the 1% have there way, I won't be able to afford it. So a diesel is a better option for me. Plus I have a 53 gal fuel tank, at 30 mpg I have close to a 1500 mile range. I have a map of every donut shop in the US and canada. I plan my trips by this map. If we could just go back to running hemp oil, We would not need all the forign oil.

PhatFJ
11-07-2011, 06:17 PM
First and foremost, thank you all for the input!!

The :cool: factor aside, how long would it take you to recoup the investment based on the gas savings?

I don't DD my 40...Actually I rarely drive my 40 :( - Is the 40 your DD?

I guess what I'm saying is basing the decision on the fact that you will get better gas mileage might not be the best business case :hill:

If you get 10 mpg now and bump that up to 20 mpg with the conversion, and using $4/gal as the average for fuel...At 10 mpg a mile costs you $.40 vs. $.20 with a diesel. My math is probably wrong but break even doesn't come until 12,500 miles. Of course if gas stays lower than $4/gal it will take longer to pay off the cost of the conversion - @ $3.50/gal the payoff comes after about 14,300 miles...Then again if gas goes up to $5/gal the payoff comes at 10K miles. I know I'm not taking into account the price difference of gas vs. diesel so that would play in there a bit.

Now if the 5.7L V8 dies and you need to replace the engine anyway :D

I agree, the return on investment will bee a while. I will be able to sell the 5.7 ready to drop into another project fairly easily which will help.

No, but here's after a quick search where I have seen them talked about:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/128585-isuzu-4bd1t-swap.html

Isn't the Mercedes engine a car engine?

Wow, that thread is big!! lot's of information.. I did do a couple of searches on CL and e-bay, it seems that the isuzu motor is quite pricey as well, if you can find a newer one with lower miles the price jumps way up. The MB 300td seems to be VERY available and affordable. I found one with 144k and can pick it up for $850.00, the rebuild cost of the 300td is high and some recommend that it is better to buy a used one OEM built rather than rebuilding one. The 300td is a car diesel and it has PS, Air cond, and other options that some of these industrial motors do not have on them as well.

My 4BT in my 55 gets about 24-mpg driving from Rollinsville to Boulder on average. On the hwy it is closer to 30-mpg. I have plenty of power. You will not get that kind of mileage with a 4sp. You need an overdrive. I have a NV4500. You will also need to do a spring over and switch to FJ60 axles or mod the oil pan. There is a 3.3 cummins that is very nice but $$$$$$. Also from what I understand to run biofuels, ie: veggie oil you will need an aluminum fuel tank. Steel creates a scale on the inside of the tank and flakes off and messes everything up. So I have been told. I would go with the 300-td.
Thanks for the info!! I did not know that about biofule. Is the 4BT itself that tall or does the turbo extend up so high that you have to mount it lower in the frame?

You can't always justify dropping a diesel into an older rig with just fuel numbers. You get the benefits or better low-end power, more mileage per tank and you'll be able to do many trail runs without taking any extra fuel where you may have taken 5-10 extra in gas.

When dealing with a new vehicle, IMO, it is very easy to justify the extra purchase price (if you have that kind of extra changing in your piggy back) because the "diesel option" is generally about how much more the vehicle will be worth even when used. In other words, you'll get your money back.

Of course, you could also be a dork like my cousin and sink over $24K in your Cummins for pulling at the county fairs. Of course, he's almost 27 and still living with mom and dad.

As far as value goes I think so too, I have owned several diesels including heavy equipment and they really hold their value as long as you take care of them.

Uncle Ben
11-07-2011, 06:20 PM
My reason to go diesel was to be able to run WVO. The 2f, V8 motors are not economically viable in this world IMO. who knows where the price and the availability of fossil fuels will be in the future. If the 1% have there way, I won't be able to afford it. So a diesel is a better option for me. Plus I have a 53 gal fuel tank, at 30 mpg I have close to a 1500 mile range. I have a map of every donut shop in the US and canada. I plan my trips by this map. If we could just go back to running hemp oil, We would not need all the forign oil.

That hemp oil is affecting your spelling! :lmao: :guapo:

PhatFJ
11-07-2011, 06:24 PM

Yep, I totally agree!! :thumb: It really opens up some options and like you say we do not know what the future will hold. I cant imagine going on a 1000 mile run without added fule cans and not having to fill up? WOW that would be great..

art hog
11-07-2011, 06:36 PM
That hemp oil is affecting your spelling! :lmao: :guapo:

Then I bitter knot get anny moore from you. Sorry, And you had the good s**t:lmao::lmao:

art hog
11-07-2011, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=PhatFJ;196090]

Thanks for the info!! I did not know that about biofule. Is the 4BT itself that tall or does the turbo extend up so high that you have to mount it lower in the frame?

The 4BT is that tall. My turbo is mid block, but it can be mounted up too

Uncle Ben
11-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Then I bitter knot get anny moore from you. Sorry, And you had the good s**t:lmao::lmao:

That's where it went! :rant::rolleyes:

PhatFJ
11-07-2011, 06:46 PM

You guys are toooo funny!!
Thats great :lmao: :thumb:

Rzeppa
11-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Justin from Red Line had a 40 with a 5 cylinder Mercedes at the Rally. He's on this forum but I don't know if he's seen this thread. I believe he mentioned that the motor was inexpensive and that parts were readily available.

74fj40
11-08-2011, 09:25 AM
The only complaint I have about a 4BT is noise... You are going to be wanting to wear earplugs anytime your driving it. not to mention is vibrates everything. Been on the trails with a guy who has one in his buggy and it is loud. he shuts it off as much as he can to avoid noise.

I would go with the mercedes diesel like jeff mentioned...

PhatFJ
11-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Justin from Red Line had a 40 with a 5 cylinder Mercedes at the Rally. He's on this forum but I don't know if he's seen this thread. I believe he mentioned that the motor was inexpensive and that parts were readily available.

Yes, I went up Spring Creek with that rig. Very nice!! I hope he chimes in as I would like to know more about his conversion..

PhatFJ
11-08-2011, 09:46 AM
The only complaint I have about a 4BT is noise... You are going to be wanting to wear earplugs anytime your driving it. not to mention is vibrates everything. Been on the trails with a guy who has one in his buggy and it is loud. he shuts it off as much as he can to avoid noise.

I would go with the mercedes diesel like jeff mentioned...

Wow, I did not know that they were that loud. Could he not quiet it down with deferent exhaust configuration or is it the motor noise that is so loud?

Woodsman
11-08-2011, 10:08 AM

When I saw this at CM I had assumed it was a diesel from a Sprinter. However, I was told by a bystander that it was borrowed from a Mercedes sedan.

Woodsman
11-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Another thing that might be of interest to you . . . back in May, Cummins introduced a 2.8 liter diesel for use by Nissan.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/05/cummins-feds-developing-four-cylinder-diesel-for-nissan-titan.html

As I understand it, it is basically 1/2 of the 5.6 liter V8 diesel block which Cummins developed for Dodge several years ago to use in half-ton pickups. It was "shelved" due to the economy and high fuel prices even though Cummins had already built an entire production line to make the engines.

My old college roommate works as an engineer at Cummins and told me recently (while we were driving around looking at some of Cummins' many test mules) that he was just put on the 5.6 project so it is apparently being revived.

Woodsman
11-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Wow, I did not know that they were that loud. Could he not quiet it down with deferent exhaust configuration or is it the motor noise that is so loud?

As I understand it, it is mechanical noise due to it being a mechanical injection. The ultra-high pressure injectors have played a big part in quieting the new diesels. However, if you want simple and reliable you want mechanical.

art hog
11-08-2011, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=74fj40;196148]The only complaint I have about a 4BT is noise... You are going to be wanting to wear earplugs anytime your driving it. not to mention is vibrates everything. Been on the trails with a guy who has one in his buggy and it is loud. he shuts it off as much as he can to avoid noise.

My 55 is lineXed on the inside and the cab noise is not that bad. I can talk on the cell with no problem. I think my 55 has a good vibe. I think the 4BT is to big and heavy for a 40.

Rzeppa
11-08-2011, 11:34 AM
As I understand it, it is mechanical noise due to it being a mechanical injection. The ultra-high pressure injectors have played a big part in quieting the new diesels. However, if you want simple and reliable you want mechanical.

I have been told that the reason that Toyota's diesels are so quiet and Detroit's are so loud is that Toyota uses indirect injection (precups) and Detroit uses direct injection. I do know that my 1HZ was REALLY nice and quiet, and unlike a powerstroke or cummins, you could actually hold a conversation while standing next to it while the engine was running.

74fj40
11-08-2011, 11:36 AM
You can definitely put a quieter exhaust on there, but it is more the injection pump that makes so much noise. You know the earlier dodge 2500s with the 6bt? sounds similar to that...

subzali
11-08-2011, 11:57 AM
I have been told that the reason that Toyota's diesels are so quiet and Detroit's are so loud is that Toyota uses indirect injection (precups) and Detroit uses direct injection. I do know that my 1HZ was REALLY nice and quiet, and unlike a powerstroke or cummins, you could actually hold a conversation while standing next to it while the engine was running.

I thought it was the other way around? I thought IDI was louder and DI was quieter. I believe IDI Toyota engines are the B, 3B, H, 2H, 1HZ, 1PZ, 1KZ - and the DI engines are the 13-14-15B, 12H, 1HD, 1KD, and 1VD series.

74fj40
11-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Matt is right. all the new stuff, tdi's, duramax, new cummins, etc, is all direct injection aka common rail which makes it so quiet.

74fj40
11-08-2011, 12:14 PM
You want my opinion? go V10 TDI :D :cool:

Overlander
11-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Another vote for Mercedes Benz OEM617 - that is a solid motor. I had an MB 300D for several years and regret selling it (for another Mercedes). Anyway, these engines have cast iron heads, bullet proof IP pumps that will suck glycerine from your tank (i.e. can run on WVO, used hydraulic fluid, used motor oil, biodiesel and other concoctions). I've run BioD in mine and it was super quiet.

The thing to check with this engine, however is the power curve - I believe they produce most of their torque in the upper range of the curve (around 2800-3000 rpms) - good for highway cruising but the low end grunt may suffer as a result. Again, super engines - just not sure about putting it in a crawler.

Good luck -
James

PhatFJ
11-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Another vote for Mercedes Benz OEM617 - that is a solid motor. I had an MB 300D for several years and regret selling it (for another Mercedes). Anyway, these engines have cast iron heads, bullet proof IP pumps that will suck glycerine from your tank (i.e. can run on WVO, used hydraulic fluid, used motor oil, biodiesel and other concoctions). I've run BioD in mine and it was super quiet.

The thing to check with this engine, however is the power curve - I believe they produce most of their torque in the upper range of the curve (around 2800-3000 rpms) - good for highway cruising but the low end grunt may suffer as a result. Again, super engines - just not sure about putting it in a crawler.

Good luck -
James

James, thanks for the info!! I was curious about the power curve, I think with the low end gearing I will be ok. How is the idle on the OM617? just thinking if I have to start in gear (low/low) on a hill, my 350 will start just fine but there is a surge as the IAC (idle air control) kicks in for the idle and you need to be ready for it. Thanks again for the response..

Beater
11-08-2011, 04:25 PM
um, last I heard, colorado and diesel swaps were not two things that went together for emissions.. do you have a way around this?

Overlander
11-08-2011, 04:39 PM
James, thanks for the info!! I was curious about the power curve, I think with the low end gearing I will be ok. How is the idle on the OM617? just thinking if I have to start in gear (low/low) on a hill, my 350 will start just fine but there is a surge as the IAC (idle air control) kicks in for the idle and you need to be ready for it. Thanks again for the response..

Sorry, no idea... :o For advise from REAL experts on MB try this forum: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/

Overlander
11-08-2011, 04:40 PM
um, last I heard, colorado and diesel swaps were not two things that went together for emissions.. do you have a way around this?

Beater - here is a recent discussion on this subject.... sounds like it's workable:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=16716

corsair23
11-08-2011, 04:52 PM

Good luck -
James

Found this thread that had a link to a dyno run on a supposed stock engine:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/167339-stock-om617-dyno-results-needed.html

Link to Chart (http://berryhillfarm.us/benz_stuff/Dyno/dynorevs.jpg)

Based on that chart, the engine doesn't look like it could move much until you get it above 2500 RPM :confused:

PhatFJ
11-08-2011, 05:05 PM

It would be going in my 1970 so no problems, I have 5 year plates and no emissions.

PhatFJ
11-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Found this thread that had a link to a dyno run on a supposed stock engine:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/167339-stock-om617-dyno-results-needed.html

Link to Chart (http://berryhillfarm.us/benz_stuff/Dyno/dynorevs.jpg)

Based on that chart, the engine doesn't look like it could move much until you get it above 2500 RPM :confused:

Yes, it would be nice to hear from someone who has been driving one of these for a while and get some feedback on performance. All I can say is that I was with Justin while he was driving his customers and it seemed to do really well at least on the trail..

RLMS
11-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I just got onto this thread, sorry for the delay. As for the Merc 617 conversion we did for our customer. The motor we had in the customers truck was great on the trail, but stunk on the HWY, due to it needing an overhaul. Pros and cons to all of the diesels conversions.

Pros on the cummins 4bt...power,
Cons on the cummins 4bt...noise and you have to do an SOA for pan clearance

Pros on the merc...Top end rpms all day, upfront cost, and you dont have to lift the rig as much as the cummins.
cons...on the merc...little low end power, but can be fixed with some turbo mods and gearing, front sump pan can create problems!
Pros on toyota...great low end and good top end, HP mods can be done with turbo combo's!!!!!!
Cons, getting parts( most of the time ) and cost

But all of these motors are great. I would have a compression test done on any used diesel, just to make sure!

I love the merc, I will be putting one in a 4runner for the wife, I should get 30mpg with it!!

Stay away from the 4bt(a). its the computer controlled version used in industrial applications. Trying to get more power and adjust ability out of these is just about impossible.

DanS
11-10-2011, 09:45 AM
I thought it was the other way around? I thought IDI was louder and DI was quieter. I believe IDI Toyota engines are the B, 3B, H, 2H, 1HZ, 1PZ, 1KZ - and the DI engines are the 13-14-15B, 12H, 1HD, 1KD, and 1VD series.

Correct. The L series are also Indirect Injected (including my 2LT-E).

The Toyota and Isuzu diesels are markedly quieter and smoother than the Cummins, and the Mercedes is more inline with the Toyota and Isuzu engines.

If I were in your shoes, I'd scrap all those plans and look for a 3B or 13BT anyway. :hill: But second to that, the Mercedes or Isuzu swaps would be pretty sweet.

I haven't had problems keeping my 2LT-E running, and Dad's 3B hasn't been on the road long enough to know what the difference in maintenance costs compared to the 2F will be. But judging from the freshening up I did on it, I suspect pretty similar. In general, I like to buy parts when I get a good deal on them, so that I have spare parts lying around, instead of having to order something on short order (which is indeed pricey).

I actually prefer an engine that doesn't make gobs of low end power, but just enough to lug along. It makes for some much nicer trail riding. If it's done right, you can shove the pedal to the floor, and the engine will still slowly accelerate as long as all of the wheels are grabbing, and not much will happen---for a few seconds. Eventually, the turbo spools up and you're suddenly making real power. I prefer a setup like this because in the faux-lux, the engine can really jump every time your foot bounces just a little on a rock or something, which makes me always a little worried about shock loading the drivetrain.

Dan

Corbet
11-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Justin did not mention this in his post but when I asked him about power of the Merc at CM he said it was pretty much like a 2F.

I've drove one of proffitt's 4BT 40 series trucks at CM11 with a Toyota 5speed. The power was nice. Right where I would want it personally but it was loud and rattled like a paint shaker. Maybe an auto behind it would help. And some sound deadening would be good. But not much you can do with a soft top.

I drove a 70 series in AU with the Toyota 4.2l diesel for 3000+ KM. That was a great engine in every respect. Power, quiet, etc... But getting one here sucks. In the end though it was the nicest diesel I had ever driven. Including all the domestic 3/4 ton stuff.

I want to build my 40 with a diesel too so I've been looking a all these options in my spare time. I'm looking into more info on the new Cummins IFS engines. Spendy for sure but might be the ticket if my budget can afford it. If not I will probably go with a Toyota power plant.

PhatFJ
11-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Justin did not mention this in his post but when I asked him about power of the Merc at CM he said it was pretty much like a 2F.

I've drove one of proffitt's 4BT 40 series trucks at CM11 with a Toyota 5speed. The power was nice. Right where I would want it personally but it was loud and rattled like a paint shaker. Maybe an auto behind it would help. And some sound deadening would be good. But not much you can do with a soft top.

I drove a 70 series in AU with the Toyota 4.2l diesel for 3000+ KM. That was a great engine in every respect. Power, quiet, etc... But getting one here sucks. In the end though it was the nicest diesel I had ever driven. Including all the domestic 3/4 ton stuff.

I want to build my 40 with a diesel too so I've been looking a all these options in my spare time. I'm looking into more info on the new Cummins IFS engines. Spendy for sure but might be the ticket if my budget can afford it. If not I will probably go with a Toyota power plant.

I really wish Toyota or the deciding parties involved would allow the really nice diesels to be sold here in the United States, it drives me crazy to see all of these other countries get such reliable and fuel efficient vehicles..
A new Cummins would be nice but could you convert it to WVO? Think about driving behind me on the trail and smelling french fries rather than diesel.. :lmao: not to mention the spendy factor..

Dan, I agree with the throttle response, my 350 is soooo touchy in low/low..

DanS
11-10-2011, 07:25 PM
FWIW, getting a 1HZ here is easy. The hard part is coming up with the bellhousing and bits to mate the H55f (with the correct input shaft) to it. THAT's the expensive part. I have three times as much money in everything from the flywheel back on my 1HZ than I do in the engine at this point, and I got a steal on everything I picked up...

If you are considering WVO, then indirect injection is probably a bit more suitable for you. Don't ask me why, but the common wisdom is that direct injection doesn't like the WVO or bio fuels as much. Probably not a huge problem with it, but the IDI engines love it. My 2LT-E gets better mileage, lower EGT, and of course better smelling exhaust on B99.

Dan

PhatFJ
11-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Well all, I made the jump. I picked up a 1985 OM617.952 motor out of an 85 300CD with stated 148,000 miles on it. I will be doing a compression test on it in the next couple weeks hoping all is good. I will start a thread on the build as soon as I get everything lined up and checked out. Please do not expect a "Ricardo quality" thread :bowdown: but I will do my best to let you all know what and how things are going. There will be certain stages of the swap that may interest some more than others, if anyone is interested in a given stage :wrench: please let me know as the build progresses and I will be happy to have you come over and share in the swap.. Thank you all for your input and advice!!!

By the way if this does all go as well as I am hoping it will, I may be interested in doing this swap for and or helping others, we will see.

DanS
11-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Sweet! Can't wait to see it get going...

Dan

RicardoJM
11-19-2011, 07:49 AM
Very cool project Brian. I'm up for lending a hand where ever I can.

subzali
03-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Brian:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/nm-high-desert-cruisers/526228-let-me-call-my-official-build-thread-om617-mercedes.html

PhatFJ
03-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Brian:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/nm-high-desert-cruisers/526228-let-me-call-my-official-build-thread-om617-mercedes.html

Thanks brother!! I am on my way though. I bought a 1982 300SD and drove it around for a few weeks, got to know the engine, tuned it up adjusted the valves and so on.. I am putting it into a 1995 4-Runner, I have the truck, it had a OME lift on it, I am doing a SAS conversion and dropping the diesel into it. My decision to go this way is based on not wanting to tear the 40 up (remove the 5.7L TBI) it runs too good and is a great trail rig with plenty of mod options available. I wanted to build a rig more suited to the expedition including long range comfort and reliability. I got some Toyota E-lockers for the front and rear, have not decided on the gearing just yet.. I think the Runner will make a great overlander though.. I will keep you up to date as things proceed.. Right now I am working on a new ride for my daughter.. 1987 corolla FX-16 GT-S :eek:. what a blast!! Thanks again for keeping me in mind!! :thumb:

subzali
03-08-2012, 06:30 AM
Wow Brian, I just read your sig, and you've significantly increased your herd in a short period of time! But I want to know more about your spring green 1970! :D

subzali
11-01-2012, 01:08 PM
FJ Cruiser D-4D ($25,000 worth of conversion money):
b4fjxea7QSo

http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj-cruiser/623522-fjcruiser-d-4d.html

PhatFJ
11-01-2012, 02:39 PM
FJ Cruiser D-4D ($25,000 worth of conversion money):
b4fjxea7QSo

http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj-cruiser/623522-fjcruiser-d-4d.html

Interesting!!
I still have mixed emotions about my FJ-Cruiser. I really enjoyed building and running it! I however, did not like what was happening with the finder bulging issue and the throw out bearing issue with the 6-spd. I guess my feeling is, if you want a cruiser for driving on road and mild to medium off road, they are fine. I do not think I would consider putting an additional 25k into this platform no mater how COOL it is.. Now, putting it into some of the other platforms available today might be a better fit for me.. Why doesn't Toyota just start offering the diesel in our market??
Just my 02..

Red_Chili
11-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Regards WVO and fuel tanks... coat it. Done. Had an issue with ethanol and a Ducati plastic tank, coating fully resolved the issue.

My DI Powerstroke will run on WVO, used motor oil, mixed diesel and gas... probably hemp squeezin's... so I don't get the DI vs. IDI difference there.

Red_Chili
11-01-2012, 02:56 PM
BTW... how are you getting away with a diesel conversion on a 1995 4Runner in the front range? Gonna be sweet, but still...

corsair23
11-01-2012, 03:05 PM
$22-25K to drop a diesel in my 80? Maybe if I win the lottery :) - Otherwise I can't see how anyone could justify dropping that kind of coin...Very :cool: and I guess a decent price for a turn key job, but still. I could buy a real nice 30+ mpg commuter car for that kind of $$

PhatFJ
11-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Regards WVO and fuel tanks... coat it. Done. Had an issue with ethanol and a Ducati plastic tank, coating fully resolved the issue.

My DI Powerstroke will run on WVO, used motor oil, mixed diesel and gas... probably hemp squeezin's... so I don't get the DI vs. IDI difference there.
I don't know if I would ever try and run WVO in my 7.3, but who knows if the price of diesel keeps outpacing regular gas at this rate we may be paying over $5.00gal before we know it.. I still like the mechanical injection of the MB.. :D

BTW... how are you getting away with a diesel conversion on a 1995 4Runner in the front range? Gonna be sweet, but still...

It will be regestered at our OTHER property which I am GLAD to say is OUTSIDE the front range restrictions.. Now will be the questions on installing an engine that is older than the manufactured year of the truck..
?? :eek:
"Engine-switched vehicles have had the manufacturer's original certified engine configuration removed and replaced with another engine configuration.
It is a violation of both federal and state law to install an engine configuration into a vehicle chassis that is not certified by the EPA. Certified engine configurations must match either the same or newer model year as the vehicle chassis. Installing an engine that is older than the model year of the chassis is not legal. (See 11 CSR 50-2.280 (1)(A) (http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/11csr/11c50-2.pdf#page=28).)
All engine-switched vehicles are tested according to the model year of the chassis, which is determined from the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). If the vehicle passes its emission inspection, it can be registered. However, if the vehicle does not pass its emission test, a visual inspection will be conducted to identify any possible tampering or engine switching. If this visual inspection shows that a vehicle has an uncertified engine configuration, the vehicle cannot be registered. (See 11 CSR 50-2.280 (1)(E) (http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/11csr/11c50-2.pdf#page=28).)
Example: A 1997 Ford with a 2002 Ford engine will be tested using 1997 model year cutpoints. If the vehicle fails, a visual inspection will be conducted. The vehicle will need to be repaired to meet 1997 emission cutpoints. The repairs will include installing a certified engine configuration"

http://www.dnr.mo.gov/gatewayvip/v-owner/switchedenginevehicles-GVIP.htm

Red_Chili
11-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Example: A 1997 Ford with a 2002 Ford engine will be tested using 1997 model year cutpoints. If the vehicle fails, a visual inspection will be conducted. The vehicle will need to be repaired to meet 1997 emission cutpoints. The repairs will include installing a certified engine configuration"

Weird, they inspect my 87 4Runner to 96 standards... weird.

Seems like that is a showstopper though... except... no one will look...