PDA

View Full Version : The Maze, Canyonlands, November 2011

nakman
11-10-2011, 02:36 PM
All is well. Just gassed up in hite, headed for doll house.

Inukshuk
11-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Pictures!??

subzali
11-10-2011, 05:45 PM
illegal thread.

Uncle Ben
11-10-2011, 08:58 PM
It's a lie! No pictures - it didn't happen!

NYCO
11-11-2011, 09:04 AM
http://i.cdn2.tacomaworld.com/forum/images/smilies/extras/worthless.gif

FJBRADY
11-11-2011, 10:41 AM
:ranger:

corsair23
11-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Unless those guys have a satellite hook up that might be the last we hear from them until Sunday :hill:

Uncle Ben
11-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Unless those guys have a satellite hook up that might be the last we hear from them until Sunday :hill:

Good! Maybe they'll have time to get pictures ready to prove they are not just passed out at the Little Bear for the long weekend! :rolleyes: :hill:

Caribou Sandstorm
11-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Verizon coverage at the doll house.....premium and feature rich time had by all.....We will see what happens when they see the Dirty Devil River pumping 200+ cfs on Sunday:)

MDH33
11-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Verizon coverage at the doll house.....premium and feature rich time had by all.....We will see what happens when they see the Dirty Devil River pumping 200+ cfs on Sunday:)

You guys are driving Poison Springs Canyon out on Sunday? Wow. That route took me 16 hours from Denver to the Dollhouse in my 40 - I did it over the course of 2 days. (with perfect weather and the Dirty Devil was only running 20cfs).

Hope you're all having fun and look forward to the pics. :beer:

farnhamstj
11-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Sitting around the house on kid duty today.Snowing, I sure wish I was there.

MDH33
11-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Sitting around the house on kid duty today.Snowing, I sure wish I was there.

X2 but minus the snow. ;)

Corbet
11-12-2011, 08:21 PM
x3 but wish we were getting the snow.

nakman
11-12-2011, 08:54 PM
we are in green river. took 12 hours to get here from Dollhouse. everyone's fine but yes, had some issues. :).

Caribou Sandstorm
11-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Yep you will hear more....Great day till I got stuck in the Dirty Devil..

Thanks to all for recovering me out of the river and Romer for towing me to Green River. Crossing my fingers the GJ Toyota guys can get'r started..

Corbet
11-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Good luck. Might be better to goto Hugh at Safari than the Toyota dealer. Unless of course your under warranty....

farnhamstj
11-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Just got a text that Nakman is headed past Vail.

MountainGoat
11-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Just rolled in to the home base. Tired, dirty, unshaven and with a bad case of permagrin. :D

Oh yes, there will be pictures and details galore. But for now ... I need to clean up. :hill:

nakman
11-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Pretty tame drive through the mountains, considering all the hype on the weather channel. Back home safe, thanks again Chris & co. for everything

edit: pictures. The double locker run around the :campfire: was intense.. :eek:

Romer
11-13-2011, 05:17 PM
It was an epic adventure to use someone elses words (think it was Tim)

We were all holding our breath hoping the 40 didn't go into the fire

Thanks Chris for putting this together and showing us your never too old to have fun :thumb:

rover67
11-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks Chris for putting it on and thanks for letting me join!! it was a blast!!!!

Romer
11-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Every good run requires preperation. You can see Wes contemplating where to put the obstacle:beer:

1loudLX
11-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Hey Dan I've got your fire pit, PM me where you want to meet up.

Corbet
11-13-2011, 07:47 PM
With all these campfire pictures it appears the whole trip was just staged. The only wheeling done was by Tim's RC40 :bolt:

Caribou Sandstorm
11-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Home safe and sound..Super fun riding home in Barry's comfortable 40!

Great trip and great group!

Romer
11-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Home safe and sound..Super fun riding home in Barry's comfortable 40!

Great trip and great group!

Glad you made it back safe. :thumb:

nattybumppo
11-13-2011, 09:33 PM
I think they were passed out at the Little Bear and Chris got stuck in Bear Creek trying to get to a quiet campsite at a Denver Mountain Park. Of course, more pictures might prove this theory wrong.

wesintl
11-13-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm still desert drunk :boozer: :boozer:

OilHammer
11-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Excellent trip. I will have to download some of the video I shot tonight and see if I can post that up. Snow run, Desert run, River run....a little bit of everything. I think this trip was even better than last year even with the mishaps.

For you RC fans... this is what I was talking about at the fire. http://store.rc4wd.com/110-Yota-RTR-Scale-Truck_p_11.html
and if you wanted a 40, this is the frame for it and you just put the body that Tim had on this http://store.rc4wd.com/Solid-Scale-FJ40-Roller-kit-Limited-Stock-_p_1088.html

Those are crazy spendy though, much fun can be had from either of the Tamiya models http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=&FVSEARCH=land+cruiser

nakman
11-14-2011, 09:05 AM
, much fun can be had from either of the Tamiya models http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=&FVSEARCH=land+cruiser

that's what I have, the Tamiya CR-01.. got it from CL for under $300 with the controller. Was fun watching your skills around the fire Barry.. your skills out on the dirt track weren't that bad either. :bowdown:

Inukshuk
11-14-2011, 09:14 AM
remote control talk. Yeah, staged. Like the moon landings. Boring!

treerootCO
11-14-2011, 09:30 AM
I was thinking this run was during SEMA/Pismo. Now I wish I would have gone knowing I could have made both. Let's see some pictures that don't include RC cars.

subzali
11-14-2011, 09:32 AM
seriously. I want to know what happened at the river crossing.

wesintl
11-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Everyone CROSSED the river just fine :)

I won't have any pics til tonight at earliest

Romer
11-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Everyone CROSSED the river just fine :)

Some even more than once :thumb:

1loudLX
11-14-2011, 10:18 AM
I have 65gb of video that says it wasn't staged. However I won't be getting around to that till later this week. I'll post up some pix in a bit, got a few things to take care of first

Uncle Ben
11-14-2011, 10:30 AM
I have 65gb of video that says it wasn't staged. However I won't be getting around to that till later this week. I'll post up some pix in a bit, got a few things to take care of first

Heresay! :rolleyes::blah:

36 posts and 6 pictures from Perry's party at the cabin....not convincing!

OilHammer
11-14-2011, 10:43 AM
I think I'm going to bring this next year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=848S5i1g4Fg&feature=related

nakman
11-14-2011, 10:54 AM
We're all sworn to silence until the run leader posts his story.. :p:

Uncle Ben
11-14-2011, 10:57 AM
I think I'm going to bring this next year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=848S5i1g4Fg&feature=related

Thats uber cool! :thumb::thumb: :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::zilla:

Uncle Ben
11-14-2011, 10:58 AM
We're all sworn to silence until the run leader posts his story.. :p:

:blah: :rolleyes:

Caribou Sandstorm
11-14-2011, 11:44 AM
It was all good till the 4runner lost an eye or footing...

Ok epic trip for sure.

We met up with Wes, Romer and Dan on Wednesday after they blazed the RIM on Tuesday.

Wes had some Regulator issues to fix and I met with Big Jim at the Canyonlands Park reservation office. Then we all headed to Devil's Kitchen via Elephant Hill Trail.

Arrived at Elephant Hill trail just passed dusk..Tricky trail in the dark, for sure...We arrived in devil's Kitchen set up our camps and were joined soon by Marco, Jacket, Tim and Bruce.

After a few beers and brauts it was time to explore Devil's Kitchen.

We woke up in morning, packed it up and headed to Bobby's Hole..enroute had some cold start issues with Bruce's motorcycle and then Wes broke a tie rod on the off camber tight left turn squeeze section before the open run out dirt trail.

Finally fixed and all together we headed out of Canyon Lands, passed Beef Basin and on to Gooseberry and Elk Ridge Loop. With a foot Plus of snow at the highest elevations it was time to load up Bruce's bike and make up some lost time. We bagged Wooden Shoe all together and jumped on 95 to Hite. Gassed up at hite and back on the road by 2:15 or so, made it to Chimney Rock just above the Doll House to see the Moon rising over the snow capped La Sal's....

Breath taking view and our timing could not have been better.

Set up camps and partied at the Premium camp site Doll House #2..

Got up Friday, big breakfast and a group headed to the Harvest scene hike, 9+ mile loop. Some stayed back and hiked down to the Colorado, Romer fixed his tire..

Got back and partied at the Premium Doll House #2 again. Late Friday into Saturday the wind really kicked up and we headed out to the Maze Overlook in the morning.

At the Junction to make the turn for the Maze, we all decided it was too windy to camp at the very exposed Maze Overlook camp site, we decided to make our way out via Poison Springs Wash Road and cross teh Dirty Devil River a day early. This would also insure the Dirty Devil was passible, as the forcast was for increasing CFS Sunday - Monday.

Marco had to go shag Bruce on his KTM waiting up at the Maze, while we headed to the River.

We all crossed with ease, me going first. Then with time to spare waiting for Marco and Bruce, many decided to make a second run at the river crossing it was a lot of fun. Water was maybe grill high or up to the wheel wells...

I decided to run it from another entrance and with not much thought, I drove in and found a soft bottom about 30 feet from the exit. I was immediately stuck and Jacket prepped for winching, I had to climb out via the sun roof to attach the winch line on the upper loop, could not see the frame tow loop, water now coming in the cabin, engine shut off via electrical water issue, Matt's 80 was slipping, 4-6 inches of water now in the 4runner cabin, Barry tossed his winch cable to Tim, Tim jumped in the river to help, we connected to the other loop of my bumper and pulled me out.

Drained the water, removed the connectors both driver and passenger, blew out with Marco's air compressor, no start...

Romer towed me to Green River, we ate dinner in Green River and stayed at a Motel 6.

All headed home Sunday, 4runner towed to Western Slope Toyota on Sunday. I caught a ride with Barry in his plush 40!

That is it in a nutshell..

Great trip, wished I had skipped the additional water crossing..

I don't have any pics downloaded yet but there are plenty to be shared..

Jacket
11-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Pretty sure it was an epic adventure until the dirty little whore claimed a victim. And then it was a slightly modified epic adventure. :cheers:

Thanks for a great week!

rover67
11-14-2011, 03:46 PM
in case anybody is curious what the spot tracker stuff looks like, here is the tracking page for the last 5 days:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=08ZACrEGI45FxzgPSStR2OhNs2BtP9qS8

Woodsman
11-14-2011, 05:26 PM
I just returned home about five minutes ago and was greeted with gale force winds that put semis into the highway median and everyone else along the shoulder to wait it out. Hail, crazy lightning and house-shaking thunder with tornado warnings soon followed. It's great to be home. :rolleyes:

rover67
11-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Marco had to go shag Bruce on his KTM waiting up at the Maze, while we headed to the River.

For the record I did not Shag Bruce :eek: .

James, glad to hear you made it back!!

corsair23
11-14-2011, 06:14 PM
For the record I did not Shag Bruce :eek:

:lmao: - It just sunk in what Davis claimed you were doing to Bruce on his KTM

Caribou Sandstorm
11-14-2011, 07:07 PM
ooops another Davis-ism...Sorry Marco..

wesintl
11-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Davis found a replacement for the 4runner when we were going thru idaho springs:D

wesintl
11-14-2011, 07:17 PM
I originally planned we would camp at murphy but we got there late (due to my alt and battery issues) and rebooked hardscrabble camp just down the road from mineral bottom. We camped right along the green river

wesintl
11-14-2011, 07:21 PM
The morning was a bit on the cool side but not a cloud in the sky. It was a beautiful crisp morning on the White Rim and then we made out way over to mussleman arch for lunch :)

Romer
11-14-2011, 09:25 PM
couple of my favorite shots from White Rim. Wes, Dan and I drove about 80 miles on the trail in half a day

Uncle Ben
11-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Davis found a replacement for the 4runner when we were going thru idaho springs:D

Serious upgrade! :thumb::thumb: :hill:

Romer
11-14-2011, 10:13 PM
One thing that was cool about this trip was the variety of rigs

One 40 Series LC
One 60 Series LC
One 70 Series LC
Two 80 Seies LC
Two 100 series LC
One Fj Cruiser
One 4th gen 4runner

Oh and one RC 40

Uncle Ben
11-14-2011, 10:40 PM

One 40 Series LC
One 60 Series LC
One 70 Series LC
Two 80 Seies LC
Two 100 series LC
One Fj Cruiser
One 4th gen 4runner

Oh and one RC 40

That really is very cool!

Hulk
11-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Really a cool trip. Those photos make me jealous already!

1loudLX
11-14-2011, 11:35 PM

One 40 Series LC
One 60 Series LC
One 70 Series LC
Two 80 Seies LC
One 100 series LC
One 100 series LX
One Fj Cruiser
One 4th gen 4runner

Oh and one RC 40

Fixed. :p:

This trip was amazing I am so glad I went on it.

Woodsman
11-15-2011, 07:03 AM
I'm a little late to the thread since it took me so long to get home. Here are a few of my best wheeling pics.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/110.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/107.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/104.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/103.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/101.jpg

Inukshuk
11-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Chris, sorry to hear of your swim in the quicksand. That's quite a tow out you endured.

rover67
11-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Alright, here are my photos. not real great, but maybe they tell part of the story.

first one is lining up at e-hill... we did it with Bruce's motorcycle on the back and actually made it through Ok in the dark. Having the motorcycle certainly made it a bit more interesting...

second one is drivers meting at the devil's kitchen. it was a cool morning. I think it was 26 degrees.

third one is us lined up waiting on bruce. we kinda took off from the drivers meeting and later realized his bike wasn't happy, it was flooding. soon after with help from romer's jumper cables they got it going.

fourth one is the first sight of real snow as we climbed out of beef basin. I am sure others will have a better shot of what it looked like up top, but here's where it started getting slicker. we ended up going through what looked like a foot or so near the top of the ridge.

fifth one is wheeling into the dollhouse after gassing up in hite. It was really a pleasant road in with a nice mix of faster stuff and some slightly more technical wheeling. nobody had any trouble making it through.

subzali
11-15-2011, 08:48 AM
what kind of bike carrier was that?

rover67
11-15-2011, 08:48 AM
soon after the wheeling got a bit more technical coming in to the doll house we were treated to a stellar moonrise over the mountains... my crummy little camera didn't quite capture it, but it was stunning.

then it got a bit darker and we finished dropping down into the dollhouse where we found Bruce on his KTM waiting. I think he was getting chilly wile we dilly dallied looking at the moon. Sorry Bruce.... it was pretty :)

the evening found us playing with the RC40 and drinking quite a bit again. you guys have seen plenty of pictures of that already...

the next morning we drove back up to chimney rock where the trail head to get to the Harvest scene was. after checking the map and figuring out we had plenty of HAM radios and GPS's we headed off.

The walk down was nice, with lots of water in the wash and fun rocks to play around and on. It was nice to be walking rather than driving.

Our tour guide was pretty excited so he started throwing gang signs.

rover67
11-15-2011, 08:52 AM
After continuing down the wash for a bit we finally reached the Harvest Scene. At first we came to a few teaser Pictographs, but a bit farther down the way we bumped into the Harvest Scene. The pictures i took seemed really washed out so on almost all of these I jacked with the contrast and brightness just so some of the detail would show. I have to say that the detail in these pictographs was unreal. I was literally blown away. I could have sat there all day looking at that wall. Hopefully some other folks got better pictures. It was a very special place. If you ever go there please respect it and enjoy it..

rover67
11-15-2011, 09:03 AM
After finding a few more fun rocks Tim could try to hide in we made our way back up. Hiking back up and out found us at the trucks again where we loaded up and headed back to camp chatting about the days adventure and figuring out who's brats and burgers we'd cook that night. Back at camp we drank more and ate till we were full... then back to the RC40 once more for more photo sessions and a bit of bragging as we cleared bigger and bigger obstacles.

The second picture is a shot I took of us headed back from the Maze overlook. Bruce took off toward the Maze overlook since the original plans was for us all to camp there. after deciding to head to the dirty devil instead Blair and I took the 60 and ran out to grab him. we made good time and since we were pretty close to the maze overlook when we were able to contact Bruce on the radio we went ahead and drove out to it. Man it was windy and cold out there. I didn't actually get a shot of the maze overlook.

We made it back to the intersection where we'd left Blairs rig and all started heading down the poision springs wash road. We were making pretty good time again so I was only able to snag one shot as we rounded a corner and saw the dirty devil in the valley.

Soon we dropped down to the river and found the rest of the gang working on Chris' rig. we did our best to get it running then finally decided to cut our losses and head out while we still could make it to Hanksville at a decent hour. Tim did a wonderful job of coordinating the towing effort and with Blair and myself in front of and behind Romer towing Chris we were able to make it out pretty quickly. Nice job Gentlemen.

The next morning found us in a rainy Green River Motel. we woke up and sorted out Chris' belongings and headed out to the Gyser before getting on the Hwy to head home. It was a neat stop before finishing the trip out.

rover67
11-15-2011, 09:07 AM
what kind of bike carrier was that?

not sure, I am sure Bruce can comment though... here is a picture you can kinda see it in. it sat under the motor and clamped the bike to the thing with the foot pegs. then a jack lifted it all up a pretty decent ways..

nakman
11-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Great report, Marco! you nailed all the good stuff. And thanks again everyone for the epic adventure, was a privilege to hang out with everyone and see all that.
:risingsun

Caribou Sandstorm
11-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Super write up and pics!

subzali
11-15-2011, 12:44 PM
any river crossing pics? :confused:

60wag
11-15-2011, 01:15 PM
"Permagrin" sums up my version of the trip.

What an "amazing" place. Thanks Chris for making the trip happen and a big thanks to all who helped me to indulge my two wheeled obsession. My tires are noticeably more worn after the trip.

The road to the Dollhouse and the road to the Overlook were the high points of the trip for me, and Bobby's Hole was pretty cool too, actually Poison Springs Canyon was good too, aw hell, it all was good. I really don't want to wait till next Spring to do more of that.

The bike carrier is a Moto Jack Rack. It was later renamed and sold as the Ultimate MX Hauler.

Rezarf
11-15-2011, 02:09 PM
If there is a sign up for next year, please put me on the list now ;)

AxleIke
11-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Where are the pictures of the flooded 4runner? That must've been an awful feeling chris. Sorry that happened to you. That is my worst nightmare, as that doesn't come clean easy, and being dead out in the middle of nowhere makes me a bit ill.'

Glad you got out okay with the help of the crew, and I hope the truck is back in working order soon!

Caribou Sandstorm
11-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks Isaac! I just found out my deductible is only $100.00, so no matter how it turns out I am feeling better.

Waiting for a new ECU board from Kansas, then we will see if it kicks over..

wesintl
11-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Where are the pictures of the flooded 4runner?

You'll see them in the next issue of Toyota 4WD Owner :D

rover67
11-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I actually didn't get a single picture of the river or river crossings.

Romer
11-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks Isaac! I just found out my deductible is only $100.00, so no matter how it turns out I am feeling better.

Waiting for a new ECU board from Kansas, then we will see if it kicks over..

They going to fix your bumper and lights as well?

60wag
11-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Here is the crossing but no trucks in it.

Woodsman
11-15-2011, 05:29 PM

I have numerous crossing pics but I did miss a couple of rigs. Let me know if you want to see anything specific . . . or I can email to anyone that wants them.

1loudLX
11-15-2011, 05:33 PM

I got video of you crossing, I'm starting to sort everything tonight.

rover67
11-15-2011, 06:18 PM
sweet!!

nakman
11-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Oh, you want river crossings? Here's Barry. :bowdown:

nakman
11-15-2011, 06:22 PM
And I think this one pretty much tells the story... :(

nakman
11-15-2011, 06:26 PM
How about a video of Chris making it through the river the first time. 42mb .avi file (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/nakman/chris_dirty_devil.AVI)

Here's Loud rocking through the river: 28mb .avi file (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/nakman/loud_dirty_devil.AVI)

And how about a couple videos of the snow run.. try not to let the permagrin fool you, it was tough work! :D

wes snowrun 1, 39mb (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/nakman/wes_snowrun.AVI)
wes snowrun 2, 32mb (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/nakman/wes_snow.AVI)

edit2: ok, last vid for a while. This one is the group leaving Hite, finding the correct turn towards the Doll House. I could spend many days in a row doing this.. cool music, fantastic scenery, great people. :)
leaving hite (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/nakman/leaving_hite.AVI)

rover67
11-15-2011, 07:05 PM
I dig the media Tim, way way cool.

Caribou Sandstorm
11-15-2011, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=nakman;196554]And I think this one pretty much tells the

That is one powerful shot right there..

The 4runner and I will return!!

nakman
11-15-2011, 08:23 PM
sweet!!

Well I have a feeling Loud's video quality will be better, but here you go (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/nakman/Marco_dirty_devil.AVI).

edit: I have no idea why that is 404ing.. but you can get into my directory on the FTP site and suck it down...

rover67
11-15-2011, 09:46 PM
it is under uploads in the dir, not "nakman".

I thought I paused for a second at the stream crossing, in the video it looks like i just drove right through it.

Davis, that picture of you has a lot of emotion in it, I can't imagine how you were feeling..

farnhamstj
11-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Those are cool videos.

Chris, sorry, that's a bummer. Best of luck.

rhyary
11-16-2011, 06:38 AM
Hi Chris,
Sorry to read about your 4Runner. I can't even imagine how I would feel dunking my L450into deep water. I would be devistated.

Rami

1997Runner
11-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Forum lurker here...I can't believe that this AMC Eagle is still around. I remember seeing that thing 20+ years ago around Evergreen.

I suppose it goes without saying that this trip looks like it was a great time. I'll be spending Thanksgiving week doing some canyoneering west of the Escalante, south of the Burr Trail. We are so lucky to have so much untouched unique landscape to explore just one state away!

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=26050&stc=1&d=1321322940

wesintl
11-16-2011, 01:53 PM
"I haven't seen that much money put in one of those Eevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveer!"

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=36451.0

nakman
11-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Forum lurker here...I can't believe that this AMC Eagle is still around. I remember seeing that thing 20+ years ago around Evergreen.

Me too! Used to see it parked at the dam. Didn't realize you were also in Evergreen 20+ years ago.. :cool:

1997Runner
11-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Me too! Used to see it parked at the dam. Didn't realize you were also in Evergreen 20+ years ago.. :cool:

Woah, me either! Yes I grew up there '78-'91

nakman
11-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Woah, me either! Yes I grew up there '78-'91

Same here. West Jeff since kindergarten, graduated from Evergreen in 1990. Tried to move back a couple years ago.. the commute killed us, now back down the hill. I'm sure I'll be back! Hit me with a PM if you want to reminisce some more.

Ok everyone talk about the Maze again.. :D

OilHammer
11-16-2011, 09:29 PM
A couple pics

OilHammer
11-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Couple more

OilHammer
11-16-2011, 10:12 PM
http://youtu.be/jPWLfXh8HsA

60wag
11-17-2011, 07:16 AM
It looks like we crossed the Dirty Devil at a low flow point - not that it matters much to Chris :)

Woodsman
11-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Time to contribute some more pics.

Lined up in the Manti-La Sal National Forest before proceeding into increasingly deep snow.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/023.jpg

Heading up the trail towards the Dollhouse.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/028.jpg

Great view from Dollhouse #1.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/036.jpg

Preparing for the hike at Chimney Rock.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/050.jpg

Last shot before dropping into the Maze.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/051.jpg

Woodsman
11-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Descending into the Maze.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/052.jpg

Unique erosion of rock layers.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/055.jpg

The main panel at the Harvest Scene.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/074.jpg

Hiking back towards the climb out.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/077.jpg

The big climb with wicked-cool rock erosion. You can see several of the guys up higher.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/087.jpg

Getting close to the top.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/095.jpg

Looking back towards where we've been. The Chocolate Drops are in the distance and that is close to where the pictographs are.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/097.jpg

nakman
11-17-2011, 08:57 AM
Great pics, James!! I know we're a wheeling club and all, but that hike was arguably the highlight of the whole trip for me, what an amazing place to be. You captured it well!

Caribou Sandstorm
11-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Good news from Western slope Toyota in Grand Junction...

With the new ECU board, she started right up!

A little worried about the carpet still, as they said it appears to be drying just fine..so they are not pulling it up.:(

They are also doing an oil/filter and transfer case/diff fluid change out, which is good news, alignement and checking all wheels for sand/rocks based on the squeaking sound..

I will be out of pocket a new battery and alignment, plus the hundred bucks for the deductable..

Marco, I can't remember what I tossed in your rig, tool box etc..Maybe I can coordinate with you on my return into town. Hoping to pick up my rig tomorrow afternoon.

Anyone headed to GJ tomorrow?

subzali
11-17-2011, 09:03 AM
the desert is magical.

Woodsman
11-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Great pics, James!! I know we're a wheeling club and all, but that hike was arguably the highlight of the whole trip for me, what an amazing place to be. You captured it well!

Thanks and I agree on the hike. :thumb: It is always memorable. I would like to take the hike down from the Nuts and Bolts (Maze overlook) next time and also check out the hikes behind the Dollhouse. :cheers:

MountainGoat
11-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Good news from Western slope Toyota in Grand Junction...

With the new ECU board, she started right up!

The mighty Toyota will live on for many more epic adventures! :bowdown:

Woodsman
11-17-2011, 10:56 AM
A little worried about the carpet still, as they said it appears to be drying just fine..so they are not pulling it up.:(

It's great to hear that it was easily solved with the ECU.

I would be very wary of the carpet. The problem is that it is very difficult to get it all dried out faster than mold/mildew can start to grow. At minimum, I would lift it in a couple of places just to verify whether it is dry or not on the backside.

subzali
11-17-2011, 11:22 AM
It's a lot drier here in CO and UT than in other states, so that helps with the mold/wet carpet issue. But definitely put baking soda or whatever you need to as soon as you can to get that stuff dry and smelling nice. That 80 full of snow came out ok so hopefully the 4runner will too :thumb:

rover67
11-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Great News Man!!!!!

Woohoo!!!

nakman
11-17-2011, 11:31 AM
It's a lot drier here in CO and UT than in other states, so that helps with the mold/wet carpet issue. But definitely put baking soda or whatever you need to as soon as you can to get that stuff dry and smelling nice. That 80 full of snow came out ok so hopefully the 4runner will too :thumb:

Sadly nice crisp clean Colorado snow is a lot different from the dark dank Dirty Devil.. that stuff was yucky. I'd still be tempted to pull the carpet.. take the opportunity to run more 12v to the back, hide antenna coax, wire up screens.. turn it into a mod project while you take that carpet to the car wash, then hang in the garage with a space heater.

SOOOO glad to hear she's running again. :thumb: Just get it home man.

bh4rnnr
11-17-2011, 11:46 AM
This thread needs more pictures..........

Awesome news Chris!

:beer:

Woodsman
11-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Last year there was a little mouse trying to steal stuff from us as we sat around the fire ring. At some point we think someone tracked where the little guy was living and built him a house. Someone coined this "Mouse on Fire" as a tribute to the House on Fire ruin.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/117.jpg

On Saturday morning as we stood around waiting for the last vehicle to be loaded, I snapped these pics from Dollhouse #1. I did nothing to the colors in these two pics but you can see some weather rolling in.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/119.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/120.jpg

Lining up for departure from the Dollhouse on Saturday morning.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/113.jpg

A brief line up on the trail back towards the intersection. This is probably somewhere around Teapot Rock.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/123.jpg

Woodsman
11-17-2011, 12:17 PM
The original plan was to spend Sat night at the Maze overlook but weather appeared to be rolling in and the winds were not kind for spending a night on the exposed overlook. We decided to avoid that cold and windy misery and head on towards the Dirty Devil River crossing so we could camp in a less exposed area within the canyon.

Meeting at the intersection to discuss the new plan.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/129.jpg

Gotta love the Utah red dirt on a Sandstorm FJ.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/134.jpg

Lined up on Sunset Pass (I think).

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/139.jpg

Stopped somewhere along Hatch Canyon

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/142.jpg

A cool old Hudson car which was converted to a trailer/RV and abandoned years ago.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/143.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/147.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/151.jpg

Woodsman
11-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Views along Hatch Canyon as we got closer to the Dirty Devil River crossing.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/164.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/169.jpg

The ol' "hold the camera backwards with one hand and snap a picture while driving with the other hand" shot.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/176.jpg

Marveling at the super-squishy wet sand along the bank of the Dirty Devil. It obviously hadn't been crossed recently based on the sand banks on both sides.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/178.jpg

Crossing pics. It really wasn't deep in the crossing area but there was a definite channel about 2/3 of the way across.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/180.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/182.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/186.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/191.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/187.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/194.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/201.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/203.jpg

Woodsman
11-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Gathering at on the other side of the river after crossing.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/206.jpg

With one vehicle not running we decided to try and get out of the canyon Saturday night. One of the guys (Romer) with a V8 powered 100 Series Land Cruiser towed the drowned rig through Poison Springs Canyon, up hwy 95 and into Green River.

There's alot of this type of driving through Poison Springs Canyon.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/210.jpg

Before heading back to Colorado, a few of us decided to check out Crystal Geyser which is southeast of Green River. It did not go off while we were there but I have attached a video link.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/215.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/216.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/217.jpg

Crystal Geyser - Healing, Wealth-Giving Water - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqPFlzwWAy4&feature=related)

wesintl
11-17-2011, 12:21 PM
man James, you got some awesome shots. :eek: :smokin:

Woodsman
11-17-2011, 12:22 PM

I hope that makes you happy. :thumb:

nakman
11-17-2011, 12:58 PM

Indeed.. was like I was there all over again! let's go back. :D

Woodsman
11-17-2011, 01:06 PM

Thank ya ! :o I'd like to have gotten more but there were some long expanses where we were hauling butt and farting around with pics was not on the agenda. I decided not to mess with the Rebel much on this trip so these are all from the Canon point and shoot. If I ever really learn how to use the DSLR's capabilities it will be a miracle.

rover67
11-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Dang which canon? those pictures all look really good... Thanks for posting them up!!!

Jacket
11-17-2011, 02:25 PM

:beer:

You shoulda been there!

Nice work James. Love the pictures. Funny how all those clumps of red mud washed off driving home in the rain and snow - a bit disappointing in a way....

84cruzer
11-17-2011, 02:29 PM
EVER!! :hill:

Woodsman
11-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Dang which canon? those pictures all look really good... Thanks for posting them up!!!

My point-and-shoot is a little Canon SD1200is (Digital Elph) 10 mp

1loudLX
11-17-2011, 03:24 PM
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/StickShift964/MazeTrip11/MazeTrip1.jpg
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/StickShift964/MazeTrip11/MazeTrip4.jpg
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/StickShift964/MazeTrip11/MazeTrip5.jpg
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/StickShift964/MazeTrip11/MazeTrip7.jpg
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/StickShift964/MazeTrip11/MazeTrip8.jpg
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/StickShift964/MazeTrip11/MazeTrip9.jpg
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/StickShift964/MazeTrip11/MazeTrip10.jpg
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/StickShift964/MazeTrip11/MazeTrip12.jpg
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/StickShift964/MazeTrip11/MazeTrip15.jpg
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/StickShift964/MazeTrip11/MazeTrip17.jpg
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/StickShift964/MazeTrip11/MazeTrip19.jpg
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/StickShift964/MazeTrip11/MazeTrip20.jpg
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/StickShift964/MazeTrip11/MazeTrip22.jpg
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/StickShift964/MazeTrip11/MazeTrip23.jpg
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/StickShift964/MazeTrip11/MazeTrip24.jpg
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/StickShift964/MazeTrip11/MazeTrip25.jpg
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/StickShift964/MazeTrip11/MazeTrip27.jpg
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/StickShift964/MazeTrip11/MazeTrip28.jpg

Saturdays pictures will come later, I havent pulled the pictures off my camera yet...Chris took my USB cable ;)

subzali
11-17-2011, 03:30 PM
It's hard to take a bad picture in the desert.

But that moonrise picture is AMAZING! :eek:

And I've never seen bighorn in the desert, fun stuff for you guys.

Jacket
11-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Our experience was quite a contrast to when the Outlaws gang crossed in the Dirty Devil in Sept 08.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=87422&postcount=11

wesintl
11-17-2011, 04:28 PM
The moonrise was UNREAL. Probably the coolest I've ever seen.

That camera takes nice pics Blair. EOS Rebel? what lens you have on that bad boy?

The Sheep are awesome too. :thumb::beer:

Jacket
11-17-2011, 04:47 PM
We were fortunate to have Blair's camera to see those bighorns. From the naked eye, we couldn't tell if they were deer, donkeys, or zebra.

1loudLX
11-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Canon 7D, 18-135 lens that came with it. I wish I caught the moonrise a minute or two earlier, when it was more behind the mountain but it works.

FJCDan
11-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Wow what great pic's. I want to do that trip so bad, I would even do as passenger just to be there. Hey Chris if you have any problems with that carpet shoot me a PM. I have some great stuff for odors. Dan

OilHammer
11-17-2011, 08:34 PM
What makes a good trip?

Long range planning and a haul across the country
Night wheeling a "challenging" trail
Hiking/boulder scrambling....at night
Desert running
Snow run
Epic hikes
A full moon
Great campfire conversation
Cold beer
A river crossing
Using a winch

Yeah.....this trip had ALL of them.
Best trip of all time. The rubicon was pretty epic, but I think this was overall more entertaining.

Romer
11-17-2011, 09:59 PM
What makes a good trip?

Long range planning and a haul across the country
Night wheeling a "challenging" trail
Hiking/boulder scrambling....at night
Desert running
Snow run
Epic hikes
A full moon
Great campfire conversation
Cold beer
A river crossing
Using a winch

Yeah.....this trip had ALL of them.
Best trip of all time. The rubicon was pretty epic, but I think this was overall more entertaining.

I agree. I'm glad I went. This trip was a blast:thumb:

Woodsman
11-18-2011, 06:02 AM
What makes a good trip?

a haul across the country

I sure had this part covered. :lmao: Over 25 hours each way.

Caribou Sandstorm
11-18-2011, 08:02 AM
I finally downloaded a few. Did not take as many pics this year.

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Maze-Canyonlands-2011/i-hxkhC24/0/L/DSCF0760-L.jpg

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Maze-Canyonlands-2011/i-DXNqfFS/0/L/DSCF0763-L.jpg

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Maze-Canyonlands-2011/i-tzVRBvp/0/L/DSCF0766-L.jpg

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Maze-Canyonlands-2011/i-3msjHJv/0/L/DSCF0786-L.jpg

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Maze-Canyonlands-2011/i-hXS9zx7/0/L/DSCF0790-L.jpg

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Maze-Canyonlands-2011/i-GBHwbgb/0/L/DSCF0814-L.jpg

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Maze-Canyonlands-2011/i-L479sw9/0/L/DSCF0816-L.jpg

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Maze-Canyonlands-2011/i-ZBQFS9z/0/L/DSCF0819-L.jpg

Jacket
11-18-2011, 09:00 AM
^I like that one picture of Davis, Wes and Barry with the storm looming in the background.

nakman
11-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Man, the pictures of this thread have significantly raised the bar, trip report-wise. :bowdown: I keep mentally returning to the Maze each time I look at this. Great stuff, keep it coming! :beer2:

rover67
11-18-2011, 09:41 AM
I agree, some really killer shots. I totally dig it!!!!!!!

Woodsman
11-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Man, the pictures of this thread have significantly raised the bar, trip report-wise. :bowdown: I keep mentally returning to the Maze each time I look at this. Great stuff, keep it coming! :beer2:

Maybe you'd like to see about 30GB of video too ? Yeah, I can pretty much relive the drive to Hite, the trip to the Dollhouse and some of the trip out. :p:

84cruzer
11-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Maybe you'd like to see about 30GB of video too ? Yeah, I can pretty much relive the drive to Hite, the trip to the Dollhouse and some of the trip out. :p:

Yes, please. Bring on the video!! :hill:

nakman
11-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Couple more quickies.. Matt down near Beef Basin, and Romer at the top of Impossible Hill, or thereabouts.

1loudLX
11-18-2011, 08:30 PM

Ya I've got about 60GB, pretty easy to relive over here.

Woodsman
11-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Sweet li'l diesel 40 on SOB Hill. Sitting idle while repairs are made on the sweet li'l diesel 70.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/016.jpg

Carnage on SOB Hill. Group tool donation saved the day with hammer, c-clamp and baling wire doing the trick.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/005.jpg

Thank you to this dude for spending time planning this trip and getting permits.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/2011%20Nov%20The%20Maze%20Canyonlands/060.jpg

Caribou Sandstorm
11-19-2011, 09:00 AM

X2 Tim, well said..

To me this is the lure of the area...you get to wheel in the saddle for a day or more to get here and then you get to stretch your legs for a 9+ mile hike.

Really great hiking all over Canyonlands and Beef Basin areas..

The Harvest scene is one of the gems for sure, while remote it is like the low hanging fruit though, there is a ton to see for years to come on return trips.

But nothing compares in my opinion, to your first trip to the Doll House and the Harvest scene, we were treated to arguably one of the all time moon rises ever, as well.

It will be tough to not want to end up there again, at some point, with future trips.

bh4rnnr
11-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Sure am bumed I missed this trip....

Great pics James.

You guys covered some wonderfull country. Man i'm itching for the desert.......

Woodsman
11-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Remember the discussion we had about this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEm4zND0aNM

nakman
11-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Remember the discussion we had about this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEm4zND0aNM

Yes that's the one!!!! that's the video that made me want to get a RC crawler.

Romer
11-19-2011, 06:21 PM
The campsites were pretty awesome

White Rim

Devils Kitchen

Doll House

wesintl
11-19-2011, 06:24 PM
those are some premium sites :smokin:

do they make 70 series bodies for those crawlers?

farnhamstj
11-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Couldn't help myself Wes.

1loudLX
11-19-2011, 07:28 PM
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/StickShift964/97a40246.jpg

Caribou Sandstorm
11-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Vindicated! :p:

Romer
11-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Vindicated! :p:

Do you have your 4runner back yet?

Caribou Sandstorm
11-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Do you have your 4runner back yet?

No I wish.. Now waiting for an ABS sensor or relay, or board..something like that..Probably pick it up Tuesday afternoon..

The interior is totally dry! They are going to steam clean it.. I think I am getting a new rear bumper! or at least the money for one.

I might be driving a dealer delivery for them back to GJ..Lots to figure out on Monday and Tuesday.

Inukshuk
11-19-2011, 09:06 PM
I just armchair wheeled the trip. I'll be there for the next one. Just committed to a bike of the White Rim (with my 80 as the support rig) in April. Now, back to work to pay for the 80!

Love the pics and love the you guys love this type of travel.

nakman
11-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Few more pictures of the hike to Harvest Scene.

pmccumber
11-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Oh man I'm loving these pictures. Tim this last bunch, 1loudLX (the moon shot, Needles shots, the bighorns, ...), Woodsman, and others really nice pictures.

Inukshuk
11-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Don't you just love how the grass draws circles in the sand.

Time to start planning some hikes. How about a slot canyons? I have my eye on a few.....

rover67
11-22-2011, 08:36 PM
yes, slots... i have been kinda eyeing them. Maybe a good summer activity.

Caribou Sandstorm
11-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Update on the 4runner.......

Today at about 12:30pm, I got a call from the insurance company..

The runner is toast. They are totalling it, too many potential issues down the road, I guess.

My wife is sitting over my shoulder right now and just said "that was a short love affair wasn't it?"

Can I get a "Price check" on a New...er Land Cruiser 100 series....

Woodsman
11-22-2011, 09:20 PM
HoLy ShOoT !

Are you kidding ? Someone needs to buy that from the insurance company and put it back on the road.

84cruzer
11-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Update on the 4runner.......

Today at about 12:30pm, I got a call from the insurance company..

The runner is toast. They are totalling it, too many potential issues down the road, I guess.

My wife is sitting over my shoulder right now and just said "that was a short love affair wasn't it?"

Can I get a "Price check" on a New...er Land Cruiser 100 series....

?????? :confused: ??????? Seriously???

Caribou Sandstorm
11-22-2011, 10:12 PM
HoLy ShOoT !

Are you kidding ? Someone needs to buy that from the insurance company and put it back on the road.

Wish I was.

84cruzer
11-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Ouch!! Sorry to hear that Chris. What about all the bling that you have installed, can you buy it back from the insurance company?

CardinalFJ60
11-22-2011, 10:27 PM
when I was rear-ended a million years ago in my Flintstone-mobile I politely asked when the guys were going to tow away my car so I could get some "personal arifacts". .... like wheels, stereo, wiring, etc... ;) the tow truck driver usually doesn't know the difference or care.

Caribou Sandstorm
11-22-2011, 11:04 PM
I am going to remove my mods before it leaves the dealership.

I could buy it back but too many potential issues.

1loudLX
11-23-2011, 03:16 AM
Christo has a white 100 for you.

Woodsman
11-23-2011, 06:44 AM
This is craziness. It just wasn't that bad and if it were running with the new ECU . . . again, I just don't see how they could total it. It's not as though it was completely submerged in a bad-ass flood or something. Oh well, it is what it is I guess. Sorry that it turned out this way Chris.

sleeoffroad
11-23-2011, 06:57 AM
Insurance companies have learned their lesson with flood cars. They don't want this to become a money pit. I would check what the buyback would be and offer it to the someone in the club. However, they don't know the extend of the damage and they can not determine it. I would have said if it started right up, then ok, but they are already experiencing issues with ECU and other components. So where is it going to end. Not a gamble they are going to take.

Last thing they want is to have to strip it down and put a new harness in it due to corrosion. I think part of it is the issue with warrantee on the work already completed. Dealership could also be on the hook.

PS, we do have a white 100 you can buy.
See member for sale section for a link. We might even trade that 4Runner if you get it back from the insurance. We can use the drivetrain.

FJCDan
11-23-2011, 07:43 AM
:(:(:( Bummer Chris, That sucks!!

OilHammer
11-23-2011, 08:02 AM
PS, we do have a white 100 you can buy.
See member for sale section for a link. We might even trade that 4Runner if you get it back from the insurance. We can use the drivetrain.

That's the amazing part of this with the ins company. I checked the intake and dipstick and saw zero water intrusion into the drivetrain. The instrument cluster was never underwater, and the majority of the elec components have already been changed out....only thing left is harness. Well, there could be sand in the muffler and cat, but that's not rocket science. For what the ins company wants for it, it would be an interesting project to take the body off and sell that back to the wrecker. Take the rolling frame with drivetrain, and put one of those FJ43 aluminum bodies on it. Might even do a SAS while you are at it.

Also, his truck was in the water for only a couple of minutes, whereas a "flood" car could be sitting for an hour in water. I just find it hard to believe it's toast....but if the ins company was offering me a way out of a commodity car for little loss, I would jump on the opp to get into a 100. :)

Corbet
11-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Sorry to hear this Chris. I guess take the money and run. Good your wife seems to have a sense of humor regarding it. I doubt mine would.

wesintl
11-23-2011, 09:45 AM
well, now you can make a serious offer on the AMC Eagle. :D

Jacket
11-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Wow - that's crazy they want to total it. Sorry to hear. Must be karma - someone wants to get you into a Cruiser....

Hulk
11-27-2011, 10:33 PM

Hahaha. You married well.

Sorry about your truck, but it will end well eventually.

OilHammer
11-28-2011, 04:32 PM
This place is pretty sweet too....need to take a mega trip some year and work this in.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=grand%20staircase%20escalante%20national%20monument&gs_upl=1847l3678l0l6827l8l8l0l0l0l0l240l1165l2.5.1l8l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1311&bih=635&wrapid=tlif132252268380910&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=li

Woodsman
11-28-2011, 05:09 PM
This place is pretty sweet too....need to take a mega trip some year and work this in.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=grand%20staircase%20escalante%20national%20monument&gs_upl=1847l3678l0l6827l8l8l0l0l0l0l240l1165l2.5.1l8l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1311&bih=635&wrapid=tlif132252268380910&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=li

Strongly Agree ! :thumb:

Been wanting to check out Big Bend NP in Texas too. :blah:

Inukshuk
11-28-2011, 09:59 PM

Lets go! Perry and I went to Capital Reef a few years back, just scratched the surface.

OilHammer
11-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Maze trip III!!!!
Okay, maybe not. We weren't that far from it though.

Corbet
11-29-2011, 12:21 PM
why has the recovery video not been posted yet:mad: or did I miss it somewhere?

Woodsman
11-29-2011, 12:46 PM
why has the recovery video not been posted yet:mad: or did I miss it somewhere?

I spoke to Chris yesterday. Since insurance is involved we are thinking that putting video (showing the event from start to finish) on the net may not be a good idea. A few still pictures should be safe though. Is this being too careful ?

This makes me wonder how my insurance would handle such as event. I did ask if I was covered when off road and was told the only disclaimer was that I was not covered if "racing" or using the vehicle in a "competition style event".

Jacket
11-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Here it is minus an ECU ;)

http://www.casttv.com/video/jzwfb/toyota-underwater-video

wesintl
11-29-2011, 04:00 PM
^that was Barry...

Hulk
11-29-2011, 04:39 PM
Should have been more dramatic for all the damage. I was hoping for explosions.

corsair23
11-29-2011, 05:17 PM
I though this was Davis? :hill:

CBODxhsPgPg

Woodsman
11-29-2011, 08:59 PM
OK, the first three shots are from my Motorala Droid. Chris caught me by surprise when he took off into the water so I don't have anything before this in pics or video. These three shots were all taken while the engine was still running and tires were still spinning.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OK, here are a few still shots from my little Canon Elph.

The first shot is just before his engine stopped. At no point did I see water higher than the wheel well opening on the passenger side. This should open the eyes of those who think that just because they have a snorkel they can go "all in" up to the windshield. There are other ways for water to get in.

This pic shows the 4Runner almost to the shore. At this point the winch cables were relocated from the ARB to the transit loops.

Taken as it was being pulled onto dry land via the "transit" loops.

Hulk
11-29-2011, 10:28 PM
Whoa. That's deeper than I thought. All the way to the top of the tires!

Inukshuk
11-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Nah, just get a snorkel

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=882&cat=500&ppuser=43

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=882&cat=500&ppuser=43

Caribou Sandstorm
11-30-2011, 01:21 AM
Guys can we hold off for a bit on these.

60wag
12-06-2011, 09:11 PM
So I've got an idea for the next trip out there:

http://youtu.be/8Ig3mJ0KPDI

Romer
12-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Guys can we hold off for a bit on these.

How about now :D

Its an important part of our epic journey. :thumb:

Jacket
12-06-2011, 10:33 PM

Heck ya dude! Maybe we could do a tarzan swing?

S7wiIJNckvg

rover67
12-06-2011, 10:42 PM

That's cool as hell right there.

Corbet
12-07-2011, 08:27 AM

I'm in on that. Marianne said Bridger is not allowed to do that yet but I bet he would try given a chance.;)

OilHammer
12-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Holy.... Think I would have two ropes and someone else goes first! How in the world they figure out you would clear? Maybe dropped a heavy pack to see if it smacked the rocks?

Corbet
12-07-2011, 08:48 AM
first jumper wears a helmet?:D

Pretty simple pendulum so should not take rocket science to figure it out. Repeated falls make for a hard life for the climbing ropes. Granted light falls but probably should consider retiring them after a long day of swinging.

84cruzer
12-07-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm in on that. Marianne said Bridger is not allowed to do that yet but I bet he would try given a chance.;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9YcGNStZAo

Here's one for you! :hill:

bh4rnnr
12-07-2011, 08:44 PM

Aint no way your going to f'ing get me on that. Almost as scary as being on the ocean, almost.

OilHammer
12-08-2011, 08:51 AM
first jumper wears a helmet?:D

Pretty simple pendulum so should not take rocket science to figure it out. Repeated falls make for a hard life for the climbing ropes. Granted light falls but probably should consider retiring them after a long day of swinging.

I wouldn't use climbing rope for that reason. Rappeling rope has less stretch (a good thing here!) and can take a lot of abuse.