PDA

View Full Version : Borrow a parts washer?

subzali
11-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Does someone in the club have a parts washer that I could borrow? My dad and I are planning to rebuild the front axle of his 80 around Christmastime, and it would come in handy :thumb:

maxsdad
11-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Matt - I've got one you can use...
Rob
Does someone in the club have a parts washer that I could borrow? My dad and I are planning to rebuild the front axle of his 80 around Christmastime, and it would come in handy :thumb:

corsair23
11-11-2011, 02:00 AM
I gave the one I bought from Air Randy to Timztoy - not sure if he is currently using it but that might be another option.

subzali
11-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Matt - I've got one you can use...
Rob

Thanks Rob! I'll get in touch with you as we get closer...:thumb:
:risingsun:

corsair23
11-11-2011, 11:39 AM
FWIW Matt

I've done two front axle services on 80s now, both when I had the parts washer sitting in the garage. I decided to forgo using the parts washer both times because I didn't want to deal with the mess :homer:

Instead, I got a couple 5 gallon buckets and various sizes of tupperware containers to put parts in and used full strength Simple Green (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=green+biodegradable+cleaner&hl=en&cid=2910862734421899933&ei=02q9TvOGMZnKM_6jrNoE&ved=0CEQQ8wIwBw#p) cleaner. That stuff does a great job and it is biodegradable and nontoxic, nonabrasive and nonflammable so no disposal issues after the fact. A quick rinse after the cleaning and then some brake cleaner or WD40 to clean off any remaining cleaning agent and parts come out sparkling clean :hill:

subzali
11-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks Jeff, I just assumed that having a parts washer would make the process faster and easier rather than trying to keep all the parts inside a bucket of solvent of some sort. Maybe that's not true.

corsair23
11-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Maybe, don't know. If I had it setup and ready to go, I might have felt differently. But I knew I didn't want to leave the diesel or whatever cleaning agent I used in the parts washer sitting in it and storing/disposal of whatever I used was a concern so I took the other route. Having the cleaning agent getting "filtered" would a bonus of using the parts washer I think?

In the end for me the simple disposal of the Simple Green stuff won out :)

Air Randy
11-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks Jeff, I just assumed that having a parts washer would make the process faster and easier rather than trying to keep all the parts inside a bucket of solvent of some sort. Maybe that's not true.

If you had a real parts washer, like a SafetyKleen setup where the fluid runs down a drain into a filter barrel under the parts washing tub, you would be correct. But the HF washers are nothing but a large tub where all the fluid is, with a little pump to swirl the mess around for you.

If you go to a store like Big R that sells animal feed and such, they sell large grain feeding buckets. They are about 5 gal capacity but they are wider and shallower than a regular 5 gal bucket so they give you more room to work.

TIMZTOY
11-12-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm not using mine. Your welcome to it