PDA

View Full Version : Truck topper fit for regular vs. extended cab

dan1554
11-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Hi guys, I'm in the market for a topper for the truck ('89). I've been able to find quite a few for extended cabs, and am curious if any of you know if the fitment would be the same for a standard cab. I'm pretty sure the dimensions are the same, but my big concern is the angle of the back of the cab. I get the sense that it might be slanted a bit more on the extended cabs.

What do you think? Anyone have experience with these?

dan1554
11-15-2011, 10:12 AM
In case anyone stumbles across this looking for an answer, I just talked to someone who says the toppers are not interchangeable. Looks like my concern was valid - the angles on the back of the cabs are different. The extended cab is slanted whereas the regular cab is vertical.

DaveInDenver
11-15-2011, 05:00 PM
You got your answer, but yeah the cabs are a little different in 3rd gen on XtraCab vs. regular. But that doesn't mean the toppers are not interchangeable. If it fits a regular cab it will fit an XtraCab (the cab cant is forward so it would not impact a topper), although it won't be as snug to the cab. For example WilderNests are made to fit either but it's not obvious unless you see them right next to each other.

Myredyota
11-15-2011, 11:06 PM
If the weather is good over Thanksgiving weekend, we could drop my topper on your truck and see how it fits. My topper is suspended above my Packard in the garage (weather has to be nice to pull the Packard out). :D It will only take about 3 minutes to drop it onto your truck.

Let me know, I am @ 72nd & Oak in Arvada.

dan1554
11-16-2011, 02:34 PM
You got your answer, but yeah the cabs are a little different in 3rd gen on XtraCab vs. regular. But that doesn't mean the toppers are not interchangeable. If it fits a regular cab it will fit an XtraCab (the cab cant is forward so it would not impact a topper), although it won't be as snug to the cab. For example WilderNests are made to fit either but it's not obvious unless you see them right next to each other.

Good point, that makes sense. Just looked in to a WilderNest, pretty sweet.

If the weather is good over Thanksgiving weekend, we could drop my topper on your truck and see how it fits. My topper is suspended above my Packard in the garage (weather has to be nice to pull the Packard out). :D It will only take about 3 minutes to drop it onto your truck.

Let me know, I am @ 72nd & Oak in Arvada.

I would be interested in seeing the topper and how you suspended it, as I think that will be a necessity once I get one. Getting it on/off will probably have to be done by one man - me. I should be around Saturday afternoon - unless I'm out looking for toppers.

Myredyota
11-16-2011, 11:34 PM
My hoist system is so easy my :Princess: can raise and lower the topper herself! It was pretty easy to set up. I figured it out and installed it at our old house. When we moved, I brought it with us! :p:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/myredyota/topper/DSC_0003.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/myredyota/topper/DSC_0004.jpg

I'll PM you my phone #.

L43dean
11-20-2011, 12:05 AM

Dave is correct. Same for second generation 4wd's. I have had w-nest escape pods on standard cabs and extracabs. "You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house." A tape rule and framing square will be helpful too. A guy on expedition portal is trying to re-purpose/retro-fit a WilderNest onto a first gen. 4Runner. That will be an awesome achievement.