PDA

View Full Version : Jenny Creek Blocked by Downed Trees

MountainGoat
11-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Saw this post (http://colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=190127) this morning over the on Colorado 4x4.org forum. :(

This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask. Is there a reason why we don't have Adopt a Trail signs posted on Jenny Creek and Argentine Pass that identify us as adopters? I have noticed such signs on several trails (Red Cone and Slaughterhouse come to mind). Seems like a good idea for ID as well as being positive PR for the club.

Jacket
11-16-2011, 08:42 AM
We got an email about this as well. The sign at the top of the trail by Yankee Doodle Lake identifies Rising Sun as the adopting group, but there is no signage at the bottom of the trail except for the trail number. I suppose we could address that gap if/when we also mark the spur near the bottom of the trail as closed.

Sounds like a snow run is in order.

subzali
11-16-2011, 08:45 AM
We have a sign on Argentine, and could work with the BRD to put a sign at the bottom of JC as well. Not a bad idea.

Here's the one on Argentine:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/556/medium/HPIM3639.jpg

MountainGoat
11-16-2011, 08:55 AM
We have a sign on Argentine, and could work with the BRD to put a sign at the bottom of JC as well. Not a bad idea.

Geez I guess I need to work on my observational skills! :o

MDH33
11-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Sounds like a snow run is in order.

Tire chains and my saw are ready. Lets do it.

DanS
11-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Tire chains and my saw are ready. Lets do it.

I would possibly up for some of that on Monday....

I'm surprised that those are all of the trees down there. We had a 5+ foot diameter spruce that was snapped. Lost count of how many trees were uprooted up on our ridge, but from this 5' guy, I imagine it must have sounded like a cannon when it snapped...

Dan

rover67
11-18-2011, 08:34 PM
I just can't make it up there this weekend or next. We have family in town this weekend and will be going out of town next week.

I'd be up for a trip up there after that but I think the snow is just going to keep getting deeper.

Dan, that tree was 5' in diameter? wow.

nuclearlemon
11-18-2011, 08:45 PM
anyone going this weekend? chainsaws and snowwheeling... i'm in

rover67
11-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Sounds like there is a group that'd like to go....

Martin, Ige, Matt.....

:D

ColoradoTrailPatrol
11-22-2011, 12:19 AM
How did it look? Cleared up?

Uncle Ben
11-22-2011, 12:58 AM
Wow......missed this thread as I was elk hunting last week. What happened? Is more work needed?

Jacket
11-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Sorry - I'm in Arizona this week. I'd be interested when I get back tho.

Uncle Ben
11-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Hello? No update? I'll plan is some time as this is important but an answer to the post would be awesome!

subzali
11-22-2011, 05:56 PM
I don't think anything has been done yet UB. Some talk but no action.

Uncle Ben
11-22-2011, 06:11 PM
I don't think anything has been done yet UB. Some talk but no action.

Thanks Matt! I will see if I can sneak up Friday or?????

rover67
11-22-2011, 06:33 PM
I will be in Detroit for the remainder of the week otherwise i'd be up for it.

i could do next weekend assuming snow conditions allow.

nuclearlemon
11-22-2011, 08:04 PM
greg will be here this weekend....i'll volunteer greg to do cutting duties :D

Rezarf
11-23-2011, 10:55 AM
I would like to help. Depending on when Friday (family is leaving town and need rides to DIA), I could definately swing it Saturday/Sunday.

MDH33
11-23-2011, 02:06 PM
I have to work Friday-Sunday.

DanS
11-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Dan, that tree was 5' in diameter? wow.

Yep. 5' diameter and 120' tall.

I have to work until sunday, but I've free most all of next week if the snow allows us to get in there.

Dan

MDH33
11-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Yep. 5' diameter and 120' tall.

I have to work until sunday, but I've free most all of next week if the snow allows us to get in there.

Dan

Wow. That was a big, old tree! Any rot? If not, I would love to cut a chunk for a table or something.

bvb
11-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Have a stihl and could find time on Friday if needed. :beer:

DanS
11-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Wow. That was a big, old tree! Any rot? If not, I would love to cut a chunk for a table or something.

No rot at all, at least none we have seen.

We were actually trying to find a buyer in the silly huge log home business for it (and another like it that didn't fall during the storm), but now we've got to move fast if we're to sell it.

I bet we can work something out. We were going to insist on getting a slice as part of the deal if we sold it, but it would be easy to get a couple slices off. I figure we've got roughly a year before it is completely useless as a timber product, but now that it's on the ground it's easier to get some slices.... Do you have a bar big enough to get that cleanly?

Dan

MDH33
11-24-2011, 07:57 AM
No rot at all, at least none we have seen.

We were actually trying to find a buyer in the silly huge log home business for it (and another like it that didn't fall during the storm), but now we've got to move fast if we're to sell it.

I bet we can work something out. We were going to insist on getting a slice as part of the deal if we sold it, but it would be easy to get a couple slices off. I figure we've got roughly a year before it is completely useless as a timber product, but now that it's on the ground it's easier to get some slices.... Do you have a bar big enough to get that cleanly?

Dan

I would be interested in just some of the stump if there's no rot. you could still sell all of the main log.

I have just the saw for the job that cuts a lot cleaner than a chainsaw too ;)

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/Colorado/Crosscut-saws/i-SckMWPS/0/L/IMG3715-L.jpg

Rezarf
11-24-2011, 10:14 AM
Can anybody determine how far in on the trail the trees are down? My rig would only get so far in deep snow. We should try and land on a date. I know Marco is out the weekend of 3rd, but could anyone else swing it? Is a weekday better?

Drew

nuclearlemon
11-24-2011, 10:17 PM
i definitely can't do weekdays. if we go this weekend, i'll have greg with me. if we know by tomorrow afternoon, i can have him work on getting the chainsaw running.

Uncle Ben
11-24-2011, 10:27 PM
I have been sick with a nasty head cold since Sunday when I go home from elk hunting. Today was a much better day. We'll see how much I improve tomorrow.

nuclearlemon
11-25-2011, 11:20 AM
I have been sick with a nasty head cold since Sunday when I go home from elk hunting. Today was a much better day. We'll see how much I improve tomorrow.

so, in other words, if you finish the 297page questionnaire that you're making for greg today, you'll be there tomorrow?;)

Uncle Ben
11-25-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm doing much mo betta but I'm not going to push it. Hopefully, someone can get up there this weekend. At this point I plan on heading up Monday mid morning and do what I can. PLEASE post up if you get up there this weekend! Also, if you can sneak away on Monday, let me know.

nakman
11-25-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm going to go tomorrow... anyone else want to come? Rollinsville 10:00 :)

nuclearlemon
11-26-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm going to go tomorrow... anyone else want to come? Rollinsville 10:00 :)

Greg and i will meet ya there

Uncle Ben
11-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Greg and i will meet ya there

Never seen you guys.. I was 1/2 hour late after getting some errands run and waiting for the Emergency service folks to extract a white SUV from Boulder Creek just west of the falls. I heard Nak and Brent doing the Nakgadget guided trail yak on and off as I blasted up Rollings Pass. To my grumpy surprise they found several trees to drive over. :hill: In their defense they did help clean up the biggest clump on their way back down. I really wish another trail rig would have joined me on Jenny Creek! I started down the trail and about 300 yards in decided I didn't want to risk it alone since I'm still not 100% over my head crud and I had my doubt's anyone else would get up that far today as Nak and Brent were headed home and already out of Simplex range and the ATV's that went by us earlier I had winched out of a drift a mile or so before hand and they were probably loaded on the trailer by then. I decided to check out Rolling pass road and see if I could get to Yankee that way . My personal rule when wheeling by myself is once the winch cable comes out it's time to turn around! That point happened just short of the big gap on up the road. Snow was drifted, crystaline and 3-4Foot deep. So there it is. Seven trees have mysteriously been removed from Rollings Pass Road, I'm home safe and I'm still dry and warm! :thumb::thumb: If anyone is available in the near future I'm really needing a Wild Rice fix so I wanna head back up and whoop some drift! :hill:

nuclearlemon
11-26-2011, 05:01 PM
shoot...i thought he was posting that he was going tomorrow...i was well passed out in bed by the time he posted and i didnt' realize that it was fri night, not sat morning:(

what'cha doing tomorrow uncle ben ;)

Rezarf
11-26-2011, 05:47 PM
If anyone is available in the near future I'm really needing a Wild Rice fix so I wanna head back up and whoop some drift! :hill:

I'm your huckleberry!

nakman
11-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Was fun to get first tracks up Rollins Pass this morning, what a treat. UB did that fi cruiser make it up to you? If anyone else can get up there tomorrow, conditions are just perfect for a snow run...

Uncle Ben
11-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Was fun to get first tracks up Rollins Pass this morning, what a treat. UB did that fi cruiser make it up to you? If anyone else can get up there tomorrow, conditions are just perfect for a snow run...

Nope! I seen where he turned around just before the point you guys turned around....looks like he went too wide and had some issues in the side road ditches. There was a built red Durabacked 80 headed up that I briefly chatted with close to where I seen you guys. It was funny as I asked him if the J**p following him was with him and he laughed and said "come on....a J**p able to follow these trucks?" We chuckled and then we both laughed out loud when the J**p flipped a U and headed back down almost like on que! Priceless! That was right at 13:00 or I would have followed that guy back up.

Nak is spot on.....the conditions are perfect for a few rigs to go on a moderate to nice challenge snow run up Jenny Creek. The main road is already drifted closed at the gaps. :thumb::thumb::bowdown::kevin::robbie::zilla:

subzali
11-27-2011, 08:41 AM
Good work fellas! Did you see any others that will need to be taken down? Sorry I couldn't break away for this, just bad timing with all the seasonal stuff going on...:(