PDA

View Full Version : Kokopelli trail advice

CO Hunter
11-17-2011, 08:16 PM
I'm planning on running this solo (with family) staring Saturday. From what I've been reading it doesn't seem too bad with Rose Garden being the worst spot. I'll be towing an m416 trailer. I'm planning on taking a 5 gallon jerry can of fuel. You can see my sig line for vehicle.

One question I haven't been able to answer by searching threads all over is, will the trailer be an issue on Rose Garden or anywhere else?

Any other advice?

Thanks in advance

Hulk
11-17-2011, 10:41 PM
If you're going up Rose Garden Hill, it may be difficult but not impossible. If you're going down Rose Garden Hill, you should be fine -- just go slow and choose your lines carefully.

CO Hunter
11-18-2011, 06:35 AM
Will be going down, thanks for the feedback. I knew some of you guys have run the trail and could answer.

Caribou Sandstorm
11-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Where are you starting and which sections are you doing?

Once you leave Top of the World and head South it gets tricky and narrow. going solo is makable, lockers solo would be good insurance.

I have run this trail a few times, you can pm me your cell and I can give you some of the trail info, I have collected.

bvb
11-18-2011, 07:42 AM
Watch for Caribu on some of the side trails :bowdown:
Chris know their location too!:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Woodsman
11-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Don't get lost.

We made at least one wrong turn when I ran it back in '09 and I know plenty of others have made wrong turns as well.

CO Hunter
11-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks guys,

Chris, pm sent

These sections North to South
http://www.myxj.net/blog/1099

CO Hunter
11-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Trip has been delayed until tomorrow due to my son being sick. Hopefully we won't have to cancel altogether.

Still looking for any last minute feedback Chris. A couple of comments have me thinking of bypassing some sections. I do have lockers but being alone will use more discretion on this trip.

farnhamstj
11-19-2011, 04:15 PM
My advice is to drive fast when presented with the opportunity. Have fun, and don't start your day at 5pm.

Caribou Sandstorm
11-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Great talking with you today! Travel safe and post up some pics!

CO Hunter
11-21-2011, 06:14 PM
My son has been sick, stomach thing. We have been postponing hoping he would get well enough for a road trip but he hasn't. Truck and trailer have been packed since Saturday morning.

Well, maybe over spring break ...

Chris, Great talking to you as well. Thanks again for all the information, I hope to put it to use!

Caribou Sandstorm
11-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Sorry to hear your son is not feeling well.

We will be doing the Kokopelli again in late April as one of the overnight runs for Cruise Moab, in case you don't get a chance to get out there sooner.

jonharis
01-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Sorry to hear your son is not feeling well.

We will be doing the Kokopelli again in late April as one of the overnight runs for Cruise Moab, in case you don't get a chance to get out there sooner.

Pre-running in late April? I may be up to joining you for at least day one. One of my favorite day trips for a Saturday this time of year.

CO Hunter
03-29-2012, 08:46 PM
To resurrect this old thread I ran this with another Colorado Land Cruiser friend and got back last night. Glad I didn't run it alone as planned last fall. Trailer did great but in Rose Garden Hill was a bit more of a challenge getting the proper line. Neither of us had done the trail before. Overall on the trip, keeping track of 3 axles was more tiring. I posted a trip report and pics here:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/co-colorado-land-cruisers/579293-spring-break-2012-kokopellis-trail-trip.html#post7495590

Here are two quick pictures

trailer in action

And some other types of tracks

Great times!

RockRunner
03-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Read your report, looks like a good time!