PDA

View Full Version : FJ-40 Axle Conversion Idea

Dr. Schlegs
11-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Ok so my '72 FJ40 Front Axle has a couple things going for it: 4:11's and Man-A-Fre Disc Brake conversion kit (Wilwood Calibers and DBA rotors). I still have the 27 course spline inner axle with 6 spline birf, and the small pattern knuckle.
Pros- parts are Cheap
Con - Parts are Cheap cause the stuff is junk.

So my thought is to stick one of the FZJ-80 Rear 3rds into the front axle (fine spline 30, and 4:11), add an ARB locker, do 6 shooters with high steer, get some 30 spline Longfileds, and get 60 series spindles. Blah-Blah-Blah and get get some high quality rotors and calibers again.

Pros- Bulletproof
Con -Spendy

Yes the wallet takes a hit, but. . . I was going to do ARB in the front and put a 4x4lab high steer in anyway. To do all of that to weak parts kind of seems like putting perfume on a pig.

Is there anything I am over looking in this new configuration?

Air Randy
11-19-2011, 01:44 PM
If you put new 6 shooter knuckles on it along with longfield axles & birfs, you will have replaced all of the weak stuff, so keep your disc brake setup and run it. Install a knuckle ball brace kit and truss kit on the front axle housing at the same time and you are good to go.

nakman
11-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Well if it were me I'd slap everything on that you already have and start driving the 40. See how you like it, what breaks, if anything, and see if you even feel like investing another couple grand into it. What are you trying to do with the truck? If you're building up some mondo rock crawler then yeah, beef it up... but if you plan to bop around fire roads and mountain passes on club runs then I'd personally just rock the coarse spline stuff, and put all that money towards a fridge or something. Get the 40 running and on the road, then see how you feel and if it's worth it to you to take it to the next level.

Then pick up another builder axle and build up a second axle on the side, for a straight swap when you really need to go big. But there are some nice 40's in the club with drum brakes, coarse spline axles, low steering, and solid drivers who seem to be doing just fine.. Martin's comes to mind. just my :twocents:

farnhamstj
11-19-2011, 04:53 PM
My favorite time with my 40 was driving to the post office or grocery store, not the challenging stuff. Get it drivable for cheep and see how you feel.

Corbet
11-20-2011, 08:44 AM
I would drive it a while too.

Then if you want to spend that on the front axle personally I'd build a wider axle either 60 series or get a diamond housing made a little wider than your stock 40.

Air Randy
11-20-2011, 09:48 AM
I'd personally just rock the coarse spline stuff, and put all that money towards a fridge or something. :twocents:

If he's gonna keep it stock, I agree. But if he is going to run larger tires and a locker the coarse spline axles/birfs are very easy to break.

rover67
11-20-2011, 10:13 AM
What size tires you are planning on running and what are you planning on doing with the truck?

Dr. Schlegs
11-20-2011, 10:21 AM
I'll be running 35 inch tires. I plan on taking it anywhere it will let me go. I have an ARB in the rear already. I just like to build things right the first time and work on them in the driveway verse the trail.

Dr. Schlegs
11-20-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm in the process of pulling the F and 3sp transmission, so the Cruiser will not be rolling soon anyway. I figure with the engine swap and the new 4" springs I might as well get the front axle in shape too.

rover67
11-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Yeah man, then get rid of all that coarse spline stuff. I have some 60 series loaded calipers you can have if you want. matter of fact i'll just give them to yo uin trade for the manifold stuff for Adam.

Dr. Schlegs
11-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Deal!! Do you have any spindles collecting dust? I planning on running up to the Yoda Yard in the morning and get a short side axle and Birfs. Need to get my hands on a long side inner axle. Might just do a longfield for that and drop the money for the others during the 1st needed wheel bearing packing. Does anyone know of someone in need of some front disc brakes? I'd sell the Man-A-Fre set-up along with the knuckles and new bearings. Only 10 miles on them. :o

subzali
11-20-2011, 11:11 AM
I'll be running 35 inch tires. I plan on taking it anywhere it will let me go. I have an ARB in the rear already. I just like to build things right the first time and work on them in the driveway verse the trail.

Sounds like a good plan, similar to what Shark_Bait did on his 40. IMO though, if you're going to do it once, go springover and get your cut and turn all out of the way at the same time. You can sell the 4" lift springs to recoup some of the money, and having those spring packs on top of the axle rather than under it can make a difference. If not though then you'd better consider getting a u-bolt flip kit.

Dr. Schlegs
11-20-2011, 11:20 AM
I have looked at the u-bolt flip kits. I have a stance that I want my 40 to have and going SOA and shackle reversal don't have a look that appeals to me. I've already spoken to this little fab shop down in Calhan, CO that Air Randy endorses about doing the cut and turn.

rover67
11-20-2011, 01:45 PM
no spindles... :(

farnhamstj
11-20-2011, 03:41 PM
35's change everything. Yeah you gotta spend some money.

Dr. Schlegs
11-20-2011, 04:00 PM
35's change everything. Yeah you gotta spend some money.

LOL OK So does my design seem mechanically sound? I know it is not logically or practically sound, as with anything in this sport, so I will not even ask about the quality of the soundness in those arenas. :lmao:

Uncle Ben
11-20-2011, 04:46 PM
LOL OK So does my design seem mechanically sound? I know it is not logically or practically sound, as with anything in this sport, so I will not even ask about the quality of the soundness in those arenas. :lmao:

Doc,
Build it the way you want! Never let Mud Dwellers tell you your ideas wont work! SOA's on 40's are not the Holy Grail of leaf spring setups contrary to huge amount of arm chair hardcore wheelers opinions! The key to any build is first write down everything you want you Cruiser to do for you. Next take it by line item and write down how to achieve those goals. When your done you will have some conflicts, decide what your willing to compromise! :thumb: :bowdown::wrench::zilla:

wesintl
11-20-2011, 06:51 PM
you can put all the hardened rockwell fine spline stuff you want but it won't make a difference if the knuckles come loose :hill: ;)

Uncle Ben
11-20-2011, 10:09 PM
you Can Put All The Hardened Rockwell Fine Spline Stuff You Want But It Won't Make A Difference If The Knuckles Come Loose :hill: ;)

Fact!