PDA

View Full Version : Warn 12K, ARB, Big Lights, where to put the solenoid pack?

Corbet
11-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Where have you guys mounted your solenoid packs on your 80's?

With my T-Max I had it under the hood but my 2nd battery will soon be in that location. With my big IPF's its not practical to mount the solenoid on the winch motor. Plus I clocked it so that all 4 electrical studs are accessible while mounted. (the 3 bigs ones pointed up) My neighbor had a inverted "T" shaped bracket make to center the solenoid between his lights. But I don't like the idea of blocking more of the airflow into the radiator.

I could place it inside the ARB side wing and run a remote plug socket. But that just seems too low for water crossings. Not much space under the hood with dual batteries without a mile of cable.

Thoughts and pictures of yours are appreciated.

wesintl
11-20-2011, 07:49 PM
mine it still attached to the motor slightly angled up and rotated back. One band fit pretty tight the other is tight but not snug around the motor. I was worried about the solenoids but they are weather proof and it's been fine for I dunno 4 years now.

nakman
11-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Mine was/is banded on top of the motor, behind the fog light, pretty much against the grill.

Corbet
12-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Well its been two months since I bought this thing and the install is finally complete. Between work, family, and waiting for parts, time seems to disappear.

I ended up just mounting my solenoid between the aux lights on the ARB. It was just too cold outside to get real creative. So I built a custom bracket to hold it and bolted on the solenoid pack. I clocked my winch motor so all electrical posts are easily accessible in the field if needed. Built all new cables and color coded them for each post. Painted the posts to match on the motor and inside the solenoid pack. Repainted the winch drum. Re-greased all the planetary gears.

Spooled up the rope under load tonight.

Sorry no pics it was too dark.

Trapper50cal
12-14-2011, 07:15 PM
no pics....didn't happen

Corbet
12-14-2011, 07:22 PM
no pics....didn't happen

don't call me then if you get stuck tonight:D

Trapper50cal
12-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Hey, did I mention I'm headed up Cascade Creek again, and the battery is iffy...chat with you once I get up there....won't need a winch though, just some jumper cables:D