PDA

View Full Version : A transition and some sad news

AxleIke
11-26-2011, 04:52 PM
As some of you know, my wife and I have never seen eye to eye on the truck projects, and over the last few months its been pretty tricky.

So, we have done a lot of talking, and I am making a change.

Baby Beast is being sold off. I'm depressed about it, and generally feel like I got punched in the gut, but to be honest, the project was going to drown us financially, and it had sucked up all my disposable income, time and some savings. Looking at numerous thousands of dollars left to complete the project to my satisfaction, we sat down and worked out a compromise:

I will continue with my 4 wheeling hobby, but it would be, for now, in a newer vehicle, with a milder build up, and no significant down time for build projects.

So, I began my hunt for what I wanted: A third generation 4runner with the 3.4L V6, a 5 speed, a rear locker, and preferably a 99 model, which came with a 1" lift over the other models, a change in the interior layout (cup holders not being over the radio, among other things).

This past week I came across exactly what I wanted: A garage kept, old lady driven 4runner that had been well maintained. It had zero rust anywhere, a clean, new looking interior, and it met my criteria: 99, locker, v6, 5 speed. In addition, it had the 5 spoke rims I prefer on this model, and a newer, IPOD ready stereo, plus privacy glass on the front windows. To boot, it is silver.

The only downfall is the 200k on the clock, but that brought the price down significantly over other good condition runners I'd seen with 40k less miles. Plus, I have a 3.4 with 100k on it sitting in my garage, so I can swap if and when I want to.

I took possesion on Wednesday.

So, while I will have to catch rides to fill my rock crawling fix, this is the better choice for my family and my earning potential for right now. I fully intend to build another late 80's toyota (my favorite body style) down the road, but for right now, I can't have that much of a money drain.

Here is my new truck:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c263/AxleIke/DSCN1574.jpg

It will remain as is until everything else is sold off, and my fleet is reduced. However, I do plan on taking it out sometime soon to stretch its legs. Once I have saved up money for parts, I'll begin a build thread, but much of the armor and mods will be things I fabricate myself.

Uncle Ben
11-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Sweet truck! (for a mini :p) Sorry to hear about you woes Isaac. It sounds like you made some good decisions giving your criteria! If I can help....you know the drill.... You are one of the very few people I would give my keys too so if ya need a fix just ask.....hopefully, I can ride along!

Rezarf
11-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Isaac, sorry to see your need to end the project, it would have turned out great! Your move to stay within your means is a tough one, but the right one! You will get your chance to build your dream truck one day.

I'd rather have a happy wife and peaceful home than a uber-bling rock crawler in the garage and an unhappy wife/stressful home life. You made the right call!

I love that 4 Runner man, it looks great!

BTW, you need to take UB up on that rig swap thing and then come pick me up and go put it through its paces!

If you need any help at all with the tear down, sell off, get something up to speed before getting it out of the garage, let me know, I am happy to help you bro! :thumb:

Romer
11-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Issac, looks like Rachel's truck before she modded it. She has had it 7.4 years and is still real happy with it. They perform well offroad and one of the reason's I decided IFS was not a big issue, was her following me everywhere I went with ease

The only bad thing about this generation 4 runner is the location of the oil filter. It's a real PIA and so we take it to the dealer for oil changes. Where as I change the oil in the rest of the fleet

Uncle Ben
11-26-2011, 05:37 PM
BTW, you need to take UB up on that rig swap thing and then come pick me up and go put it through its paces!

:thumb:

WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT RIG SWAPPING? I'd rather drive a hundy and since I hate malls....thats not gonna happen.... :rant::D

Romer
11-26-2011, 05:42 PM
WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT RIG SWAPPING? I'd rather drive a hundy and since I hate malls....thats not gonna happen.... :rant::D

I drive a hundy and here are my Malls . . . I guess thats Molls

Uncle Ben
11-26-2011, 05:46 PM
I drive a hundy and here are my Malls . . . I guess thats Molls

'Nuff said! :lmao::lmao::p:

AxleIke
11-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks all, it was indeed the right choice. It has been hard, as building a rock crawler has been my dream for 10+ years now, but it is a game that requires money, and I was rapidly heading down a very bad road with our finances.

Happy wife happy life is definitely true, but I do believe you need your own stuff as well. Problem is, this was turning into a selfish obsession rather than a healthy hobby.

Believe me, it took me a LONG time to get to this decision, and it was very difficult. I did a lot of soul searching.

For those of you who've followed my build over the last 10 years or so know that I have put litterally 100's, and possibly thousands, of hours into both of my 1st gen runners, and dozens of cuts, brusises, bloody knuckles, several trips to the ER, and a whole lot of heart went into those hours.

The reason's for this change that finally got me going were: I have a family, and a house now. I will likely (in a few years) have children. I cannot have a hobby that has me going pay check to pay check anymore. In college, I litterally ate nothing but ramen noodles, tuna fish sandwhiches and lettuce only salads for almost two months so I could put an ARB in the front of my truck. I cannot do that anymore.

While I make more money now, it isn't enough to put the parts into my build that it needed to make it bomb proof. Making the build what it needed to be was going to break me and I can't do that with our finances.

Anyway, this has been eating me for a couple months now, thanks for listening, it feels good to rant.

AxleIke
11-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Ken, yeah, my dad, brother, and mother all have trucks with this engine in it. It is a pain to change the filter, but I've found its not too bad to just turn the driver wheel all the way to the left and remove the 4 bolts holding one of the access covers in place on the inner fender and get it with a long extension on a ratchet. But you have to buy one of those toyota oil filter wrenches which only sorta work.

Certainly not something I'm looking forward to.

As for IFS, well, I've been riding that horse for a long, long time now, might as well keep on it a bit longer. I figured out how to drive it, and it has gotten me up to holy cross city, up the whales tail on chinamans gulch, and up a bunch of stuff in Moab. While I really wanted a solid axle, its going to have to wait.

AxleIke
11-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Kevin, drew, thanks for the support. I really appreciate it. I will definitely take you up on your offer kevin, but I'm also happy just to catch a passenger seat, and pull cable when needed. I look forward to hanging out watching WR do its thing.

Caribou Sandstorm
11-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Yep x2 on riding shot gun if you get UBs keys for Wild Rice.....

Have I told you about this epic river crossing we could do???

AxleIke
11-26-2011, 07:51 PM
LOL, yeah, you did tell us about that!

Uncle Ben
11-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Yep x2 on riding shot gun if you get UBs keys for Wild Rice.....

Have I told you about this epic river crossing we could do???

Bring it! :p:

Nay
11-26-2011, 09:13 PM
There is a lot to be said for having a smaller truck and only needing smaller rocks to have a lot of fun.

I know this isn't the 'dream', but it still sounds like an upgrade in many ways, and I think we learn over time that dreams often occur in the little improvements rather than in silver bullets.

You have a great rig - that whole 2" lift with 33's thing can take you a long, long way....

Mendocino
11-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Bring it! :p:

I'd like to hold on to the cage for this.:)

AxleIke
11-26-2011, 10:58 PM

Like so?:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c263/AxleIke/39466_881543532633_10220703_49304992_4151010_n.jpg

One of the best days I've had wheeling, bar none. The shadow may hide it, but if you look closely at my face, that is permagrin you see. Still had it after the most torrential rain storm I've ever been in while walking beside WR directing UB where to turn because the windsheild wipers couldn't keep up with the rain/hail. In fact, Kevin, I believe the river running down the exit of carnage was about the same as Chris' water crossing IIRC.

MDH33
11-26-2011, 11:42 PM
I feel for you Isaac. I'm facing a similar dilemma except I already have a kid and my options don't include a nice new truck. You should feel lucky, not depressed.

powderpig
11-27-2011, 05:54 AM
Sorry to hear all this Issac. I know you spent a bunch of hard work on Baby Beast. The lessons learned will be with you for ever and will help in the future.

Rezarf
11-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Sorry to hear all this Issac. I know you spent a bunch of hard work on Baby Beast. The lessons learned will be with you for ever and will help in the future.

Well said Robbie!

Rezarf
11-27-2011, 08:44 AM

I can see us now, all stuffed into WR for an epic run up the Rubicon... Isaac behind the wheel and the rest of us hooligans along for the ride!

http://twistedsifter.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/cookie-monster-in-truck-full-of-african-soldiers-rebels.jpg

farnhamstj
11-27-2011, 09:33 AM
:Princess::thumb:

subzali
11-27-2011, 09:33 AM
I feel for you too Isaac, I'm kinda in the same boat but luckily I wasn't in the middle of a build project. I think you made the right decision and you're showing maturity and patience by putting off a dream in order to stabilize your finances now.

I like the 5-star wheels :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
11-27-2011, 09:59 AM
I am there also....

After 2 28k wheeling vehicles, plus adding mods..I am running thin on wife empathy for this latest 100 series project.

Keeping the peace at the homestead is way more important then the rig we wheel, the art is working the deal so all are happy. When you figure that out, please share...

rover67
11-27-2011, 06:49 PM
if mamma aint happy aint nobody happy.

I think it's a pretty true statement.

AxleIke
11-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Marco, you still looking for tires? Not sure what I'm doing with mine yet, but I may be selling them. Brand new MTR's.

Myredyota
11-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Keeping the peace at the homestead is way more important then the rig we wheel, the art is working the deal so all are happy. When you figure that out, please share...

This is why my truck sits next to the garage unless we go to the mall. :D This is why I have only gone fishing 3 times in 6 years. :mad: But my :Princess: does enjoy the classic car scene especially since it doesn't bother her MS. As stated before..."If momma aint happy..."

In the meantime, I will keep the truck and all the fly fishing equipment. I will just keep adding to the parts pile and the fly box! :hill:

Rezarf
11-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Marco, you still looking for tires? Not sure what I'm doing with mine yet, but I may be selling them. Brand new MTR's.

New or old style Isaac?

Cheese
11-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Wish I would have known but respect your decision. I could have cut you a good deal on a nearly done project.

A rich man has a good woman, a good gun, a good dog and some good boots, you have to choose carefully.

Hulk
11-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Your new truck looks nice! You should be able to have lots of fun with that ride, and you can slowly customize it to be worthy of the AxleIke legacy. :)

AxleIke
11-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks all. I sold some parts today, and its been a crappy feeling day all around. Good to start recouping losses, but bad to see it start to go away.

AxleIke
11-27-2011, 11:32 PM
New or old style Isaac?

New.

nakman
11-27-2011, 11:38 PM
Sounds like you got your priorities straight man, we all go through this I think it's part of growing up? Nice runner, too, that'll be fun to mod when the day comes.

As for the oil change, I always just stood on a bucket, then reached in with my left arm over the battery-put the battery right in my armpit. then bend the arm up and bam, filter is right there. Getting it started can be a bugger though but with the right strap wrench nbd.. I can change a 3.4 as fast as any of them now.

Cheese
11-28-2011, 06:36 AM
The good thing about dreams is they can grow and change, they are cool in how they float that way.

Seriously though, I am in the same boat, except it is balancing with another hobby and a dog instead of a good job and a wife.

Take care.

leiniesred
11-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Isaac: I completely understand how you feel. Think about it this way. Those first gens made you the great driver you are today. You learned from the trucks and took good care of them while you had them. You had some amazing adventures with them and they took you places most of the world will never see.

I have told Jeremy 1000 times. "The most fun I had with my 4runner was with 33s and a rear locker." The entire trail is a challenge that way, plus you can go a lot of places a stocker won't.

Time will tell what you and I end up driving in the future. There is plenty of room in our lives for different machines to help us get to fresh adventures.

Take a look at my signature. No more 4runner for me either.

AxleIke
11-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks all. I am hoping the new truck will bring lots of fun too.

JadeRunner
11-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Congrads! Especially getting a 5 speed with e-locker. Super fun. Short term all you need is some armor, and with your fab skills that will be easy for you. Enjoy.

I don't understand Romer. I find the oil filter easily changed reaching in from the top.

JadeRunner
11-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Oh, you want my old front skid plate? It was custom built by an Arizona guy years ago. It's pretty beat up. But I bet YOU could bend it back into shape and bolt it up. Plus its free.

AxleIke
11-28-2011, 02:17 PM
I may scott, it would depend on HOW bad it is, but if you think it can be redone I'd probably take a look at it.

I'll have some questions for you down the road regarding 33's and of course your dual case set up.

Uncle Ben
11-28-2011, 03:24 PM
:thumb::thumb: :D:bowdown::wrench:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/cubuff4runner/LibertyTrail/IMG_0103.jpg

DaveInDenver
11-28-2011, 03:29 PM
It's been pretty well covered, but I'd like to say I don't think it's really 'sad' to seek the right things to enhance your life. In the end it's about staying sane, having good experiences and relationships, just a good life. If the 'stuff' doesn't work to make your life better, then change the 'stuff' so that it does. I've been unbuilding my truck and honestly it's just as much fun with no lift, open diffs and 30" tires as it ever was even with my relatively modest build level. For us, the 'Nest, fridge and a map seem to give by far the biggest bang for the buck.

Nay
11-28-2011, 10:08 PM
When you figure that out, please share...

80 series :D

You can buy a fully modded and OCD maintained one for cheap enough that you can't justify selling it on a pure financial basis.

SteveH
11-29-2011, 07:45 AM
Good choice - I have a '98 5 speed/locker 4Runner with 177K and enjoy most things about the truck.

*Getting* to the oil filter isn't a big deal - it's cleaning up the oil that drips off two different skidplates for the next 3 days that stinks. Unless you have time/desire to remove both skidplates each time, you end up with a mess. And as another poster said, the Toyota cap-style wrenches don't really fit, either - especially on the now-made-in-USA filters.

DaveInDenver
11-29-2011, 09:07 AM
And as another poster said, the Toyota cap-style wrenches don't really fit, either - especially on the now-made-in-USA filters.
Not sure what filters you are using, but I use the Toyota/Denso 90915-YZZD3. These are made in Thailand and the filter wrench they have/had at Burt at the time fits OK. They are also not expensive, typically about $50 per case of 10.

The 90915-YZZG1 might be the US-made one you are using (is it the stubby filter?). This is made by Denso and I never did find a wrench that fit it right. Toyota used to sell the 08922-02011, which is the one I used for a long time, that was supposedly made by Purolator. The wrench was a perfect fit (which is the closely I could find for the -YZZG1 and it's a loose fit). That one was slightly taller, like the 90915-YZZD3.

There are counterfeit filters floating around and one way thing apparently is that the cap wrench fits poorly and jams on the ridges rather than fitting the flats. I had a couple of Denso 90915-YZZD1 (the short version of the D3) that I had to smack off with a hammer. Those came from a local dealer, too. In retrospect it should have been obvious since the real Denso 90915-YZZD1/D3 will have grease on the o-ring and a plastic seal over the bottom, something no counterfeiter is going to bother with.

If you can find one, the 90915-YZZB9 is hand's down the best filter available. Lexus sometimes had them and were about $10. After that, the Thailand-made Denso filters seem to be the best value and are actually very good filters.

http://armbrusterweb.com/public/webshots/22roilfilter_2.jpg

subzali
11-29-2011, 09:31 AM
more knowledgeable parts guys like cruiser dan will know about the different filters available for your engine. I called the local dealer and asked for a filter for my Tundra, they gave me a price. Called CDan and he was like, "do you want the cheap one or the expensive one?"

- wait, there's options? :rolleyes:

Kinda lost a little faith in my local dealer at that point (not Burt)...

1997Runner
11-29-2011, 10:42 AM
I may scott, it would depend on HOW bad it is, but if you think it can be redone I'd probably take a look at it.

I'll have some questions for you down the road regarding 33's and of course your dual case set up.

33's and 4:10 gears aren't so bad with the 5-speed. Not that I'm any kind of authority, but our '97 seems to do OK all around, on & off road. Around town it still gets 18-ish, highway 21-ish. I'd love to add dual cases, but after it's retired from being kid-taxi/grocery getter.

:Princess: DD - '97 SR5 5-speed, e-locker, 33's, 1" BL, '99 springs:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w62/JT-_photos/4runner/0927011103a_800.jpg

AxleIke
11-29-2011, 02:16 PM
more knowledgeable parts guys like cruiser dan will know about the different filters available for your engine. I called the local dealer and asked for a filter for my Tundra, they gave me a price. Called CDan and he was like, "do you want the cheap one or the expensive one?"

- wait, there's options? :rolleyes:

Kinda lost a little faith in my local dealer at that point (not Burt)...

Good info, but I only buy from Jerry E up at Boulder. Nothing against Cdan or anything, I just prefer to be a patron of Jerry's because of all of his support over the years.

AxleIke
11-29-2011, 02:19 PM
33's and 4:10 gears aren't so bad with the 5-speed. Not that I'm any kind of authority, but our '97 seems to do OK all around, on & off road. Around town it still gets 18-ish, highway 21-ish. I'd love to add dual cases, but after it's retired from being kid-taxi/grocery getter.

:Princess: DD - '97 SR5 5-speed, e-locker, 33's, 1" BL, '99 springs:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w62/JT-_photos/4runner/0927011103a_800.jpg

Did you put the BL on to clear the tires? I'm just curious because I was thinking I could get away with 33's and no lift on this truck (99). My main concern is rubbing on the upper a arms and the back of the fender Is that an issue for you?

I asked Yoder (jaderunner), and his rub. I'm not okay with rubbing on the sidewall like that, so I'm curious as to your solutions. The fender thing doesn't bother me, as I'm not really afraid to trim to fit if needed. I like the way the 33's look on your ride.

BTW, are those 285/75's, or 305/70's?

wesintl
11-29-2011, 02:19 PM
http://pics.catindra.se/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=558&g2_serialNumber=1

AxleIke
11-29-2011, 02:20 PM
As far as filters go, these take the same as the 22re. I'll be using up my stash of those first. I'll worry about better ones later.

AxleIke
11-29-2011, 02:20 PM
http://pics.catindra.se/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=558&g2_serialNumber=1

Huh?

AxleIke
11-29-2011, 02:21 PM
80 series :D

You can buy a fully modded and OCD maintained one for cheap enough that you can't justify selling it on a pure financial basis.

Thought about an 80 series, couldn't do the 10 mpg.

corsair23
11-29-2011, 02:58 PM

10mpg? Urban myth and lies I tell you :rant:

I get 12mpg :hill:

JadeRunner
11-29-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't think 33's will clear without some kind of lift. After my lift I rubbed the a-arms for years when flexing until I finally had them shaved off.

4.10's were ok with 33's on the highway but the 4.56's I have now are just right.

J Kimmel
11-29-2011, 03:25 PM
No biggie get yourself a dirtbike now!

1997Runner
11-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Did you put the BL on to clear the tires? I'm just curious because I was thinking I could get away with 33's and no lift on this truck (99). My main concern is rubbing on the upper a arms and the back of the fender Is that an issue for you?

I asked Yoder (jaderunner), and his rub. I'm not okay with rubbing on the sidewall like that, so I'm curious as to your solutions. The fender thing doesn't bother me, as I'm not really afraid to trim to fit if needed. I like the way the 33's look on your ride.

BTW, are those 285/75's, or 305/70's?

Thanks!
On the body lift, I actually did it prior to the tires (which are 285/75's) in order to mount the sliders up higher on the frame and give the body pinch weld ~3/8" clearance. The side lugs of the 285's - Goodyear Duratrac's - do rub the frame at 100% lock, but do not rub the upper A-arms at all. Clearance is tight to the arms though...I don't have any wheel spacers either. Those would make the fender clearance worse.

On front fender clearance, you do have to cut off or flatten the pinch weld at the body/fender rear opening. I also heated up the fender liner covering that same spot and flattened it as well. Running the OE mudflaps doesn't really help that area, but :Princess: doesn't like the idea of all the mess flying up the side from the front tires, so we keep them on. For everyday driving there's no rubbing problems except the 100% steering lock which is totally avoidable.

Off road, there is a certain steering angle where the front tire can still get into the bottom rear opening of the front fenders if the suspension is compressed some. I've just learned to work around that by steering more or less around the problem area. That clearance wouldn't be a problem with a little more suspension lift like the Tundra TRD springs up front.

We've only had the 4runner for a year, and when we got it (for the wife's DD & to finally have something that would get some off road use) the thing was bone stock. It took a little convincing to get the running boards to come off, then she thought it didn't look right because you could see more frame, fuel tank, etc. so I suggested sliders ;) and fab'd my own body lift. After that I found the genuine '99 springs cheap and the 33's came into play when I went shopping at Discount for some 265/75's. They had a set of take-off 285's for less out the door than the 265's so I couldn't resist the deal. So, it's been slowly growing, giving SWMBO time to get used to it. I'm pretty happy with it as-is now, but I do have a set of 80 front springs to swap into the rear when I get around to procuring a set of TRD Tundra springs for the front and new shocks all the way 'round...
Then I've gotta worry about the diff drop, and CV axle angle...it's a slippery slope, eh!?

subzali
11-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Good info, but I only buy from Jerry E up at Boulder. Nothing against Cdan or anything, I just prefer to be a patron of Jerry's because of all of his support over the years.

My point was that I wasn't aware there were any options until I called CDan. I usually go to a local dealership first, but they only offered me a price, without mentioning that there were options.

I'm pretty sure anything 285 and wider will rub on your a-arm unless you use a wider wheel (like 8") or change your backspacing or something. Not sure what it takes to clear the fenders.

wesintl
11-29-2011, 04:33 PM
My point was that I wasn't aware there were any options until I called CDan. I usually go to a local dealership first, but they only offered me a price, without mentioning that there were options.

Technically there isn't really any options for a US Spec. He got a non usa part # added to the US system and it's a slightly different (or better filter) that fits your application. as long as you got a halfway good filter :meh:

AxleIke
11-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks!
On the body lift, I actually did it prior to the tires (which are 285/75's) in order to mount the sliders up higher on the frame and give the body pinch weld ~3/8" clearance. The side lugs of the 285's - Goodyear Duratrac's - do rub the frame at 100% lock, but do not rub the upper A-arms at all. Clearance is tight to the arms though...I don't have any wheel spacers either. Those would make the fender clearance worse.

On front fender clearance, you do have to cut off or flatten the pinch weld at the body/fender rear opening. I also heated up the fender liner covering that same spot and flattened it as well. Running the OE mudflaps doesn't really help that area, but :Princess: doesn't like the idea of all the mess flying up the side from the front tires, so we keep them on. For everyday driving there's no rubbing problems except the 100% steering lock which is totally avoidable.

Off road, there is a certain steering angle where the front tire can still get into the bottom rear opening of the front fenders if the suspension is compressed some. I've just learned to work around that by steering more or less around the problem area. That clearance wouldn't be a problem with a little more suspension lift like the Tundra TRD springs up front.

We've only had the 4runner for a year, and when we got it (for the wife's DD & to finally have something that would get some off road use) the thing was bone stock. It took a little convincing to get the running boards to come off, then she thought it didn't look right because you could see more frame, fuel tank, etc. so I suggested sliders ;) and fab'd my own body lift. After that I found the genuine '99 springs cheap and the 33's came into play when I went shopping at Discount for some 265/75's. They had a set of take-off 285's for less out the door than the 265's so I couldn't resist the deal. So, it's been slowly growing, giving SWMBO time to get used to it. I'm pretty happy with it as-is now, but I do have a set of 80 front springs to swap into the rear when I get around to procuring a set of TRD Tundra springs for the front and new shocks all the way 'round...
Then I've gotta worry about the diff drop, and CV axle angle...it's a slippery slope, eh!?

Unless you relocate the bumpstops, the tire will still hit the inner fender, lift or no lift, unless the springs are stiff enough to keep you from hitting the bumpstop.

I've been wondering about these 5 spoke wheels. I've seen a number of people running them with larger tires, and it seems like they may be backspaced slightly differently than the 3 spoke. Not sure though.

I've been looking at the tundra fronts, and, like you, have more fj80 stuff than I care to admit. However, I think I'll wait a while on all that, as I don't really like this rear suspension and fuel tank set up, so I may have to put something else in down the road. For now, I'll likely just run the 265 75's.

Bighead
11-29-2011, 06:46 PM
I don't think 33's will clear without some kind of lift. After my lift I rubbed the a-arms for years when flexing until I finally had them shaved off.

4.10's were ok with 33's on the highway but the 4.56's I have now are just right.

I know you are a 5-speed mine's an auto but I would agree. My 4.88s didn't feel right with the old 285/75s but feel just right with my 315/75s.

Rezarf
11-29-2011, 06:55 PM

Snap! My 40 got nearly 15mpg on my last trip to Moab... now for some cupholders! :hill:

AxleIke
11-29-2011, 08:59 PM
I know you are a 5-speed mine's an auto but I would agree. My 4.88s didn't feel right with the old 285/75s but feel just right with my 315/75s.

Lance, what all did you have to do to get the 315's to work? I know you were among the first to go that route back in the day. I'm new to this generation, so I'm still trying to figure it all out.

How is the highway ride and power (with the gears of course)?

1997Runner
12-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Lance, what all did you have to do to get the 315's to work? I know you were among the first to go that route back in the day. I'm new to this generation, so I'm still trying to figure it all out.

If it's any extra help, this guy Brian (http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/67225-brian2sun-build-thread-38.html) on T4r.org just went to 315's. The link should be page 38 of a build thread. Post #566 starts the 315's section. Lots-o-lift & some trimming required.

Bighead
12-01-2011, 05:42 PM

Isaac, initially I followed Steve Schafer's (Sonoran Steel) formula for the 315s but it has morphed a bit in the last few years. Now I have Tundra coils/SS 5100-series Bilsteins up front (set for ~2" lift), 80-series coils/5100-series Bilsteins in the rear, 1.5" 4Crawler Body Lift, shaved UCAs and 315/75 Goodyear MT/Rs on 3.5" BS MT Classic II wheels. For gearing I already had 4.88s and ARBs front and rear. Steve also trimmed the wings on my T-15 to get more clearance up front and his bumper in the rear helped with clearance back there.

I had already done the standard front wheel well work on the pinch weld for the old 33s but after the next Moab trip I found I had to do more trimming on my Limited flares and pounding on the pinch weld area. I still scrub a little up front at full stuff but nothing I'm overly concerned with. I need to raise the front end a bit now since the Tundra coils have settled a little.

Coming off the Moab Rim Z-Turn is where I realized I needed a bit more clearance up front. I really stuffed the front-left and bent my quarter panel a bit.

The back was pretty good out of the box. I could stuff the wheel pretty good and scrubbed a little but nothing bad. The pic below shows the rear stuffed a bit going into Pritchett Canyon.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p319/Bighead2001/Vehicle%20Info/Moab009.jpg

The power is good with the auto tranny and 4.88s pushing the 315s. On the level stuff I can hold 75mph pretty easily and pull off the line is nice. It will slow down in the hills but I'm not sure if it's the truck or me because my wife says I drive like an old woman.

Red_Chili
12-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Isaac, I have a center bash plate you can have for a 6 pack of something nice. Not too hoppy or malty Plz... :lmao:
Pick up in Evergreen ...

Red_Chili
12-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Oh, and with a sweet woman, 7 dogs, a leaky truck, a DD, and bills to pay off... I feel like a freaking billionaire. :lmao:
Happy wife happy life indeed. The alternative is horrendous. If you have a wife who can BE happy, you are blessed. You made the right call Isaac.

Squishy!
12-03-2011, 01:29 PM
I can totally empathize Issac, I've had to put my Blue Raja project on hold for pretty much the last year due to money and the wife's school. It's a momentary pain for a long term happiness.

BTW I did Cliff Hanger with 18" wheels, 32" tires and no armor with that 4runner. You'll have TONS of fun. :D

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/yamahafreak250/4runner/Cliffhanger.jpg

RockRunner
12-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Isaac,
sorry to hear about your project having to take a backseat for a while but that is called life and we all live it. I commend you for your responsibility and your ability to compromise, some people can't do that and it causes all kinds of problems.

You got a new toy (pun intended) and when the time is right you will once again amaze us with your strange builds:rolleyes:

If I have a free seat you are always welcome to jump in.....................if you give me that SC 3.4 ;)

AxleIke
12-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Isaac,
sorry to hear about your project having to take a backseat for a while but that is called life and we all live it. I commend you for your responsibility and your ability to compromise, some people can't do that and it causes all kinds of problems.

You got a new toy (pun intended) and when the time is right you will once again amaze us with your strange builds:rolleyes:

If I have a free seat you are always welcome to jump in.....................if you give me that SC 3.4 ;)

Thanks for the offer tom, but I'd rather keep it wheels down :D

And no worries on the 3.4, you can have it, for 1500. No SC though. Sold that.

RockRunner
12-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Wheels down? Now were is the fun in that......... No SC no 3.4. JK I can't afford it now either :-(

Red_Chili
12-07-2011, 10:02 AM
I can totally empathize Issac, I've had to put my Blue Raja project on hold for pretty much the last year due to money and the wife's school. It's a momentary pain for a long term happiness.

BTW I did Cliff Hanger with 18" wheels, 32" tires and no armor with that 4runner. You'll have TONS of fun. :D

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/yamahafreak250/4runner/Cliffhanger.jpg
Now THAT makes Dawson cry!!

That was a sweet runner... under a very good driver.