PDA

View Full Version : trees down everywhere

plan d
11-28-2011, 03:16 PM
If your still looking for chainsaw and snow wheeling fun look no farther than Argentine 248.1b has about 15-18 trees down blocking the road. with signs of atv's going off trail. was upthere sun. 11/27 didn,t travel the main trail so don't know the condition up above.

subzali
11-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the info! Maybe some of us will be able to get up there soon before it's too snowy!

Uncle Ben
11-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the info! Maybe some of us will be able to get up there soon before it's too snowy!

I wont be able to help on this one if anyone's doing this soon. I have talked to Matt Glass and we are trying to come up with a time this week to haul WR up to Rollins/JC and get the rest of the downed trees cleaned up and access the situation. With the winds and snow bands coming every couple days in the high country our windows of opportunity are closing fast!

subzali
11-28-2011, 07:12 PM
How far up the trail are the trees? And how big are they? Bow saw size or chainsaw size?

subzali
11-28-2011, 07:18 PM
just to let the cat's tail out of the bag, I have Saturday night free, and have an idea...

Uncle Ben
11-28-2011, 07:19 PM
How far up the trail are the trees? And how big are they? Bow saw size or chainsaw size?

All trees are "chainsaw size" if your doing it as a courtesy! ;) :lmao:

subzali
11-29-2011, 09:28 AM
well unfortunately I don't have my own chainsaw yet :(

Hopefully my dad is free Saturday night...

plan d
11-29-2011, 09:30 AM
most are 10-12" starting at the camp site where the ck. use to overflow the road up thru the 1st and 2nd ck. crossing.

subzali
11-29-2011, 09:32 AM
cool, thanks. Any above the 2nd creek crossing, or did you get that high?

plan d
11-29-2011, 09:45 AM
by the time i got up there it was too late in the day to go much further. however there were atv tracks comming from above the 2nd xing.

subzali
11-29-2011, 09:48 AM
How deep was the snow? Any drifts?

nuclearlemon
11-29-2011, 12:30 PM
got greg here for another weekend and he got my chainsaw running...sat morning anyone?

plan d
11-29-2011, 12:56 PM
not much snow at all. one icy hill on 248.1b just past the gauging station and maybe one drift up the little hill just before the 2nd ck. xing.
My vehicle is going into the shop on Fri. but glad to lend muscle if needed.

DanS
11-29-2011, 02:11 PM
just to let the cat's tail out of the bag, I have Saturday night free, and have an idea...

Let that cat out of the bag. Believe it or not, I've also got saturday free (night too). I've also got an MS290 with a nice sharp chain on it....

I don't have to work at all until Sunday midday, so between now and then I'm game. I have a saw, but no chains for either the 60 or the faux-lux.

One way or the other, I'm game.

Dan

subzali
11-29-2011, 03:55 PM
got greg here for another weekend and he got my chainsaw running...sat morning anyone?

Ige, think NIGHT RUN!

Let that cat out of the bag. Believe it or not, I've also got saturday free (night too). I've also got an MS290 with a nice sharp chain on it....

I don't have to work at all until Sunday midday, so between now and then I'm game. I have a saw, but no chains for either the 60 or the faux-lux.

One way or the other, I'm game.

Dan

If someone has a chainsaw I'm in for Saturday night. I could meet up around 5 or 6 (depending on where), so I'm sure it wouldn't be a late night.

What size tires do you need chains for?

Of course, if Ige goes up Saturday morning then she'll steal all our fun :rant:

DanS
11-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Ige, think NIGHT RUN!

I like the idea.

If someone has a chainsaw I'm in for Saturday night. I could meet up around 5 or 6 (depending on where), so I'm sure it wouldn't be a late night.

As noted. I've got a saw. ;)

What size tires do you need chains for?

31" for the faux-lux, 33" for the 60. I may be able to borrow some chains for the faux-lux from my brother though (and of course my chains are safely stored in the shop in NM).

Of course, if Ige goes up Saturday morning then she'll steal all our fun :rant:

I'm not picky. I just want to go snow wheeling, which I'm not about to do by myself (with two open/open trucks, and no chains for either). Also, I love my chainsaw, chaps, and helmet. I make an awesome lumberjack. :lmao:

Dan

subzali
11-29-2011, 10:11 PM
I've got a full set of 4 chains for my 31x10.50s, and my buddy has a set for his. So if we need them we could distribute them if need be. I guess we'll wait and see what Ige ends up doing. If she goes before us, then we could do Saxon Mtn. or Yankee Hill or something instead.

Old40Dog
11-30-2011, 12:22 AM
Matt, I have a chain saw and could head up there Saturday afternoon if you want to try it.

subzali
11-30-2011, 08:00 AM
It's looking to be snowy up there, but we can have a go at it. Want to meet at the Safeway in Idaho Springs at 5:30?

nuclearlemon
11-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Night run is kind of bad for me because ive got.the caravan for kids sun am. Sat late morning works good for me. Sounds like 40dog too, anyone else?

subzali
11-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Caravan for kids is Saturday morning no?

nuclearlemon
11-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Sh....you're right. I was thinking it was sunday...sat night it is then

DanS
11-30-2011, 11:42 AM
...sat night it is then

Sweet. Count me in.

Dan

Old40Dog
11-30-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm flexible on the time.

subzali
11-30-2011, 03:29 PM
It's looking to be snowy up there, but we can have a go at it. Want to meet at the Safeway in Idaho Springs at 5:30?

In.

Old40Dog
11-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Okay! See you in HeidiHo Springs...Sat 5:30 PM...Gotta try out the new HID's...anyway :hill:

DanS
11-30-2011, 08:02 PM
In.

Matt: any chance you could snag that extra pair of chains? I'll see if I can round some up myself from my sister, but I fear she may want to use them herself...

Alternately, I'll bring the saw and ride.

Dan

subzali
11-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Yep, I confirmed with CJ7 Matt that he has a set of 4, and I have my set of 4. That should be enough for 3 vehicles.

DanS
11-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Yep, I confirmed with CJ7 Matt that he has a set of 4, and I have my set of 4. That should be enough for 3 vehicles.

Perfect. My :Princess: wants to come too, so chains for my truck are a better idea than hitching a ride.

BTW--it just started snowing here, so I imagine Argentine has a few inches compared to the dusting on my wood pile so far...

Dan

subzali
12-01-2011, 08:25 AM
It's supposed to snow Saturday as well, so I'm sure it'll be fresh and there will probably be drifts as well!

Old40Dog
12-01-2011, 02:58 PM
I have one pair ready to go and I think I can make up another set from some I found along I-70.

I might have a full truck with 5 people. Do you guys have any room for riders/helpers?

subzali
12-02-2011, 07:53 AM
I may. Depends on if my buddy who's coming needs a ride.

AxleIke
12-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Just a thought, but chains are not good in deep snow. You want a VERY wide foot print (air the tires down as low as you can) and nothing to dig in too much. Chains are good if you can reach the ground through the snow, but if it is deep, you just dig faster with chains, and they actually hinder your ability to drive through it.

Chains are good for depths up to high centering, after that, no chains is better.

subzali
12-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Isaac,

Agreed, in theory. But 31x10.50s aren't really all that wide, even aired down (and 12 psi is about as low as I'm brave enough to go), and I have always ended up putting chains on even after trying it barefoot anyway. I'm not sure how deep this stuff is going to be, but I'm not really expecting bottomless Yankee Hill type stuff at this point in the season.

Uncle Ben
12-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Isaac,

Agreed, in theory. But 31x10.50s aren't really all that wide, even aired down (and 12 psi is about as low as I'm brave enough to go), and I have always ended up putting chains on even after trying it barefoot anyway. I'm not sure how deep this stuff is going to be, but I'm not really expecting bottomless Yankee Hill type stuff at this point in the season.

Isaac is very spot on. Barefoot with low pressure will always go further in deep snow than chains will. Not theory...proven fact!

FJBRADY
12-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Isaac is very spot on. Barefoot with low pressure will always go further in deep snow than chains will. Not theory...proven fact!

X3....drop to 10 lbs and have fun, unless ofcourse you have allterains :(

subzali
12-03-2011, 08:55 AM

X3....drop to 10 lbs and have fun, unless ofcourse you have allterains :(

Well maybe you guys should come tonight and show me how ;)

I promise, every time I go I try it barefoot aired down first. But every time, I always end up with chains on to get anywhere. Just my experience, and as they always say, YMMV.

:shrug:

FJBRADY
12-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Love to, but a bit too cold to be driving the 40 at night with a week heater....if this was during the day, youbetcha!

I will be happy to show you during this years Scott Yoders annual snow run.

When you go tonight...drop to10-12lbs, keep it in high range 4wd and give it a good bit of throttle in 2nd gear....momentum is your friend!

Have fun and stay warm!

Uncle Ben
12-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Well maybe you guys should come tonight and show me how ;)

I promise, every time I go I try it barefoot aired down first. But every time, I always end up with chains on to get anywhere. Just my experience, and as they always say, YMMV.

:shrug:

My night might have opened up so I just might! Depends on how much more I have to plow today/tonight. Been out in it since 3am this morning and just got home. After cleaning my own driveway and sidewalks I'll probably go out in the 80 and do good Samaritan extractions while enjoying this breathtakingly beautiful snow storm. I SO LOVE COLORADO!

FJBRADY
12-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Forgot about the lifted Rubicon on 35's in the garage.....I have to talk Michele into loaning it out for the evening

nuclearlemon
12-03-2011, 10:27 PM
sorry we didnt' make it. late getting out of the springs.

DanS
12-04-2011, 01:29 AM
You missed some fun Ige.

Quick update, we're all off the trail safely. Now time for bed.

Dan

subzali
12-04-2011, 01:34 AM
Great crew tonight. Just got home safe. More tomorrow.

subzali
12-04-2011, 10:11 AM
So much fun. Had myself, Old40Dog, CJ7 Matt, and DanS driving. The snow was fairly packed on the first portion of the trail, because it looks to be a popular snowshoeing/cross-country ski trail. I got around the first switchback, but by the time everyone else came through, we had worn through the snowpack and underneath was a solid sheet of ice :eek:

So out came the chains, and one by one we got the vehicles up around the switchback. The chains Dan was using (CJ7 Matt's) didn't fit quite right, so we took them back off for the time being. As we went, we saw some trees fallen along the side of the trail here and there, and looking into the forest off the trail there were a lot more all over the place. After we got onto 248.1B, we were breaking our own trail, and hit a steep hill. We all got up it except Dan, who again hit ice after wearing through the top layer of snow. After sliding around for a bit, trying various strapping techniques, and rappelling/falling off of the tow straps (nobody was too badly injured thankfully), we got Ricardo's chains fitted and he was able to clamber up.

After that, I was breaking trail in about a foot of snow, maybe a foot and a half, and came to another steep hill that I wasn't able to get up. Because we were getting so practiced at it, and after seeing the ice underneath, I decided to just throw the chains on quick and be done with it. So we all had chains on the front axle at this point.

Shortly thereafter, we came upon some trees that had fallen across the trail, but that someone had cut already before us. After a little cleanup of some of the branches they left behind, we continued on. We passed the first connection back up to 248.1A, and then right before reaching the first creek crossing, we came upon a grid of fallen trees that it appeared had been limbed enough for ATVs to pass partway through, but then it looks like they decided to turn back. We did too and retraced our steps with no additional drama.

All in all, it was an excellent night, with an excellent crew, and it was fun to see what Argentine is like in winter time!

First set of pictures:
1. First 100 yds. of trail
2. First 100 yds. of trail
3. Brahma breached the 1st switchback
4. Chaining up the CJ
5. Dan and Kate in the Faux-Lux

subzali
12-04-2011, 10:14 AM
1. Untracked snow
2. Looking back on the LX 400's headlights :D
3. Another
4. Tracks in the snow
5. View of the Brahma from the LX 400 :D

subzali
12-04-2011, 10:17 AM
1. Another view
2. Dropping into the creekbed
3. A tree that had fallen and was sitting about 20 feet above the road
4. Its root pad
5. The end of the road for us

subzali
12-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Last one of the end of the road

ColoradoTrailPatrol
12-19-2011, 06:20 PM
That looks like one epic night/snow run!

RockRunner
12-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Man I missed out alright:eek: Looks like you guys had a great run with some great snow, to bad the snow wasn't packed enough to cover the ice better. I really need to get the 4Runner up and running so I can get out there:o

Also nice write up with some great pics. I like the last one blocking the road, looks like that one or two need to be cut before anyone goes any further.

subzali
12-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Man I missed out alright:eek: Looks like you guys had a great run with some great snow, to bad the snow wasn't packed enough to cover the ice better. I really need to get the 4Runner up and running so I can get out there:o

Also nice write up with some great pics. I like the last one blocking the road, looks like that one or two need to be cut before anyone goes any further.

Yeah and there's at least 5 more past that before it's clear for another few hundred feet to the first creek crossing. Not sure what's past that first creek crossing. And not sure what the upper road looks like either. It would have been nice to check out but we didn't have time.