PDA

View Full Version : Project Reseal

wesintl
07-03-2006, 10:20 PM
I don't quite document as well as jeff. :bowdown: You should have seen the 40 years of gunk on the cases. :eek:

How does it all go back together?:confused:

you can see on the case some of it is never coming off. I think my wife is going to get me a parts washer for my b-day :lmao:

wesintl
07-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Here is the bellhousing. I'd like to remove it and replace the motor mounts and clean it up too...

The tranny from above input shaft bearing really had alot of play. That was the reason for disassembly. If Jeff's used one doesn't work out I'll buy some main bearings and put it back together. the rollers looked good and all were accounted for.

74fj40
07-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Wes - we bought a parts washer off craigslist - best tool we ever bought.....
You're welcome to use it until your b-day....

IanB
07-04-2006, 07:32 AM
Wes - we bought a parts washer off craigslist - best tool we ever bought.....
You're welcome to use it until your b-day....

<hijack>How big of a part will it handle and how much was it? </hijack>

74fj40
07-04-2006, 12:42 PM
well, we lifted up with 3fe engine block on a cherry picker, and it put it in there. so its got a pretty big capacity. its definetly a very nice thing to have. and it sits right on a 25 barrel of solvent, and filters it and re-use's it.

Shark Bait
07-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Wes,

It would be so easy to stick an SM420 in there. :D All you need is an adapter.

Rzeppa
07-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Nice job Wes, the photos really help. I went to put my 4 speed onto my bellhousing this afternoon and discovered I either don't have, or couldn't find the bolts. Trip to the hardware tomorrow; I'll use hardware store bolts until I have my old one yanked, which may not be until tomorrow.

Last time I did this job, I tried to stab the tranny with the engine in the rig. It was a total PITA. I've had lots of advice since then to R&R the engine/tranny/t-case all as one unit, which is what I'm going to try this time around.

Do you want me to bring an extra alignment tool to the meeting? I have about 3 or 4 extra. A new one comes in every clutch kit I buy.

wesintl
07-04-2006, 11:55 PM
Here is my parts washer. Very antique :)

I dunno if I can make the meeting. I am supposed to see Body World tomorrow after work. If you have a spare 3 or 4 I could really use one Jeff. Otherwise the disassembled tranny input will work.

No sm420 for me. This one will continue to stay stock 3 on the tree. I'll get more pics of my '76 in Va this weekend :)

wesintl
08-10-2006, 09:59 PM
It's coming back together nicely.

Shark Bait
08-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Nice job, Wes. I like the custom AC in the floor. :p:

wesintl
08-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Maybe that should be the real project reseal.. :lmao:

It's a shame the original owner put carpet in it 40 years ago that just holds the water. He didn't even have the drain plugs out. Oh well I'll still take it with the OEM tool kit ;) I'll be welding in new floors once this is done.

Rzeppa
08-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Lookin' good Wes! I see you got the tranny stabbed...was it a PITA, easy or somewhere in between?

BTW, I saw your parts washer photo above, and it reminded me of my next hairbrained project...the filter on my parts washer doesn't do jack. Suspended dirt comes out the parts washer brush and I have to blow everything off really good with compressed air not only to dry off the solvent, but get the dirt off. Solvent's expensive, and still works fine if it doesn't have too much disolved grease and oil in it.

I have an extra F engine oil filter bracket. Can anyone guess where I'm going with this?

;-)

Shark Bait
08-10-2006, 11:24 PM
You're more than welcome to borrow my parts washer. It's just sitting in the garage. :eek:

Rzeppa
08-10-2006, 11:50 PM
You're more than welcome to borrow my parts washer. It's just sitting in the garage. :eek:Chris, are you replying to Wes or me?

wesintl
08-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Tranny stab was pretty easy. The 3 speed tranny doesn't weigh as much as the 4 speed. I just dropped it in from the top. I'll stab the xfer tonight hopefully.

I picked one (a parts washer) up off craigs list for $50 brand new. It's the generic red chinese junker and the pump is already having issues. It's ok though. Really i just needed a larger tub for washing. I bought a 5 gallon pail of solvent from murdochs. I thinking of trying to find a way to clean the solvent as it's already muddy.

Next garage purchase is a bead blaster.

Rzeppa
08-13-2006, 08:48 PM
I thinking of trying to find a way to clean the solvent as it's already muddy.Like this?

wesintl
09-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Well, I put everything back in saturday and sunday. Yea. :)

Yesterday after work I filled the cases and went to get another 5 qts of 20w-50. Filled the engine and fired her up. I shifted into all 3 gears and reverse and NADA. I pull the FD knob too and lever back and forth. It doesn't move :( I go inside dejected to think about what could be wrong.

After some food and a clear head I go back out fire her up and run through all the gears. NADA. I pull the 4wd lever back and forth... Ding the case was in neutral. :homer:

I need to adjust the clutch a tad but otherwise I'm ready to move it outta the garage. :blah:

Rzeppa
09-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Oh what a feeling!