PDA

View Full Version : FZJ80 transfer case rear seal replacement

Hulk
12-04-2011, 11:27 PM
My 80 has been dripping oil from the back of the transfer case where it bolts to the rear driveshaft. Based on a conversation with Three Wheel Ben and lots of looking at the FSM, I started the job today.

Added difficulty: IPOR transmission/transfer case skid plate

Here's where I'm at:

Rear drive shaft has been removed.
Transfer case has been drained. (I had to grind out the hole in the IPOR skid plate to get a socket on the bolt -- the hole was misaligned :mad: ).
I have removed the 9 bolts that attach the Rear Extension Housing onto the rest of the transfer case.
At this point, I was hoping I could remove the Rear Extension Housing. I pounded on it with a block of wood and a hammer, and tried a pry bar too. Will not budge.

Questions:

1. Do I need to remove the Dynamic Damper? I think this was an old support that is no longer used since I added the IPOR skid plate. From the FSM diagram (see the upper right of the attached component diagram), it looks like both bolts are attached to the Rear Extension Housing, so I'm hoping I don't need to remove it. Clearance is so tight that I will need to remove the IPOR skid plate, so I am really hoping I don't need to remove the Dynamic Damper in order to get the Rear Extension Housing off.

2. How do I remove the Rear Extension Housing w/o damaging it? Pound a screwdriver along the seam?

3. I have a Toyota rear seal. Anything else I need to replace while I do this job?

nuclearlemon
12-04-2011, 11:40 PM
you'll need fipg for the housing halves. mine doesn't have the dampener, so no clue if it has to come off. i used a floor jack to get the housing to seperate.

Hulk
12-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Thanks, Ige. I hadn't thought of using a jack.

powderpig
12-05-2011, 05:00 AM
You also could use Heat(either electric heat gun or a propane torch) to heat up the old FIPG. Did you get a new out put bearing? You need to remove the bearing to remove the seal. fun project regardless what is holding up the t-case/tranny.
Is anything bolted from the t-case support to output tail housing. If not, pushing gentle with a jack will help break the seal. I do like heat as I do not want to break the housing.
This can be done with out a press, but they do come in handy for control. A couple of musts are good picks and snap ring pliers, good flat tip screw drivers for some of the snap rings.

Hulk
12-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Update:

I have the rear extension broken loose and it's completely separated from the t-case. However, I can't get it out from beneath the truck without removing my IPOR skid plate. :(

Do I need to support the transmission to pull the skid plate? Reading through some IPOR skid plate installations on Mud, it looks like the common place to support the transmission/T-case is at the rear flange of the T-Case. Guess what? This is the part that I removed.