PDA

View Full Version : Buying a firearm from a private seller in CO...

Overlander
12-05-2011, 07:33 AM
I'm told that the laws vary by State, so what is the law in CO regarding purchasing a firearm from a private individual?! Is it legal and what type of paper trail is required?!

I missed purchasing a near new S&W .40cal this past week from a guy on my local fishing forum - I wasn't sure about legalese and passed...

James

FJ_Mark
12-05-2011, 08:46 AM
There is no paperwork required in Colorado. Private sale is just that. If it makes you or the seller more comfortable then you an always do a simple bill of sale.

Overlander
12-05-2011, 08:51 AM
There is no paperwork required in Colorado. Private sale is just that. If it makes you or the seller more comfortable then you an always do a simple bill of sale.

So it sounds like it's legal.

FJ_Mark
12-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Yes.

Rezarf
12-05-2011, 09:56 AM
I always ask for a photo ID and jot down their number, and keep any correspodance by email on file. I don't log anything into the "system" as is isn't necessary, however, I like to have enough contact info that if one of my firearms was misused, I have a paper trail to start. Colorado has good laws for firearm transfer within the state. The rules change drastically when you move a gun across state lines.

Usually, the law abiding folks have no issue signing a bill of sale, if they get sketched out by you asking for one... move on. It is not legal to sell a firearm to a known felon, and I usually ask point blank.

Fwiw, I prefer to buy and sell with private individuals the deals are better and I haven't had an issue yet. RMGO.org is a great place to start.

TIMZTOY
12-05-2011, 06:35 PM
not required, but if you dont know the guy, id suggest going to any place that sells guns, and have them transfer the paperwork.

nattybumppo
12-05-2011, 06:37 PM
If you are uncomfortable you can always get their name/date of birth and run a records check through your local police, or do an on-line criminal history check. That way, you can be assured they are not criminals...as long as they give you the right information. Sure asking for this might spoil the sale, but at least you can then rest at ease knowing you are not selling a gun to some bad guy.

Uncle Ben
12-05-2011, 06:40 PM
If you are uncomfortable you can always get their name/date of birth and run a records check through your local police, or do an on-line criminal history check. That way, you can be assured they are not criminals...as long as they give you the right information. Sure asking for this might spoil the sale, but at least you can then rest at ease knowing you are not selling a gun to some bad guy.

Or buying from a FREAKING THIEF!