PDA

View Full Version : Lights Question

LETSROLL
12-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Hi All,
I'm looking for some opinions/suggestions on lights for my 80. I have the ARB fron bumper and want to moount some additional lighting. My budget is on the low end, say $300 or less.

I see a whole slew of IPF and Hella lights in this range, including:
IPF 800XS of 900XS
IPF 800MSR
Hella 550

So, how do I choose? I know they'll get wet, but I don't expect to submerge them (uh, I think).

I'm not evern certain if I like round or rectangle.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

DaveInDenver
12-06-2011, 05:29 AM
What purpose do you need the lights?

I have a pair of Hella 500 clear, round fog lights mounted on my ARB that fill a dual hole. They work reasonably well as fogs for being so high above the road and not yellow, at least a noticeable step up from low beam.

Their second purpose (and why I have clear, not yellow) is by stacking the two fog beams one on top of the other on the truck's center line (rather than one really wide, flat bar like traditional fogs) is they act like a low beam on the highway when I run the high beams in the headlights. I don't get a dark area in front and to the immediate sides of my truck on the highway.

Now being on your 80, you have a 4 beam headlight system, right? So you can modify your headlights to keep the low beams on with the high? Personally, in that case, I would probably get dedicated yellow fogs. Been happy enough with the 500s, but they're pretty pedestrian in appearance.

Tch2fly
12-06-2011, 05:40 AM
I broke an older Hella at Rubithon and had to replace the pair (it was an older style of production) so I went with Hella again and was a bit disappointed, they seemed “cheap”.

I bought a set of the IPF 900XSD (Christo carries them) for my son's 4Runner and was very impressed with the quality and the light output. They provide enough water resistance for most off-road situations. At some point I would like to put a set on the 80 and will buy the 900XSS and will swap for one of his so each truck has a driving pattern and a spot (driving pattern on pass side, spot on driver) to provide max coverage. I had that arrangement on another rig years ago and loved it.

IMO round vs. square will depend on the space and purpose but a round light will provide a better long range beam at the cost of light dispersion with rectangular usually best at a wide beam with a crisp edge making them nice for hazy conditions. That being said it really depends on the manufacturer and the lens/reflector design, you can get it both ways if you spend a bit more.

waggoner5
12-06-2011, 07:50 AM
2nd vote for the 900XS lights.

rover67
12-06-2011, 08:48 AM
I've run the hellas (500's) on several trucks and for the price I think they do OK. They do take rock chips easily and are pretty cheaply made, but they are not bad for $60 or so bucks a pair and they have a pretty thin profile. If you have more of a budget I would probably recommend stepping up to something else maybe.

For me, for $60, they work though. You can get them as low as $40 a pair if you look.

I'd do a plexi glass disk in front of whatever light you choose though.. it doesn't take long before stuff get's hammered to bits by pebbles. Also, i'd recommend a driving light pattern, not a spot. The spots are too hard to keep aimed properly unless you combine them with other lights with other patterns..

sleeoffroad
12-06-2011, 09:31 AM
For Denver the Lightforce is good since they do not break.

LETSROLL
12-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks Christo,

I see the value in the Lightforce, but the look just didn't win me over. I went with the IPF 900XSDs. Picked them up from you today as a matter of fact!

For Denver the Lightforce is good since they do not break.

sleeoffroad
12-08-2011, 06:10 AM
Thanks Christo,

I see the value in the Lightforce, but the look just didn't win me over. I went with the IPF 900XSDs. Picked them up from you today as a matter of fact!

Yup, saw you run in and out. Sorry I was stuck with a client.

I agree on the Lightforce lights looks. However the new Genesis and XGT lights does look a lot better.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/images/lights/lightforce_240xgt.jpg

coloradobound
12-08-2011, 07:59 AM
I personally love Lightforce. Have the 170's on my Tacoma, and put my old 140's on my dads Tacoma. The looks are good IMHO, but the functionality is what won me over. Adjust the beam like a maglite, different filters for pattern and color, and pretty damn durable setups.

LETSROLL
12-09-2011, 09:57 AM
No worries. Cusotmers come first!
Hey, quick question, does IPF sell a light cover that fits over the stone guard to protect the light when not in use? I think they're white plastic with black letters. I see them for the 968 series.

Yup, saw you run in and out. Sorry I was stuck with a client.

I agree on the Lightforce lights looks. However the new Genesis and XGT lights does look a lot better.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/images/lights/lightforce_240xgt.jpg

Rezarf
12-09-2011, 04:37 PM
I have a set of Hella Ralley 4000's, they are hard wired into my brights, and I added some high horse-power bulbs... they are crazy bright and really reach out and spill out on dark colorado roads at night. I think they are the European beam pattern.

FWIW, I bought mine used off CL for about $40. Retail would be closer to $300-ish.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=7498&stc=1&d=1200772899

Corbet
12-09-2011, 07:52 PM
there are plastic covers available for the IPF's. I have a clear set that I only remove on occasion to clean. Amber, blue maybe some other colors available too. My neighbor has the amber ones. He admitted the color was not great and probably wishes he got the clear like me. I removed the rock guards to install mine but think whey do fit over them if you wanted to, but personally did not see the point.

LETSROLL
12-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Actually, I was looking for a cover or cap to fit over the light when the rock guard is on so that it protects the whole set up when not in use.

there are plastic covers available for the IPF's. I have a clear set that I only remove on occasion to clean. Amber, blue maybe some other colors available too. My neighbor has the amber ones. He admitted the color was not great and probably wishes he got the clear like me. I removed the rock guards to install mine but think whey do fit over them if you wanted to, but personally did not see the point.

Corbet
12-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Get the clear ones then. Instead of getting out of the vehicle before turning them on you simply hit the switch;) Best of both worlds. Its dark and snowing or I'd go get you a pic now.