PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Snow and Pizza Run Sat. 1/14/12

JadeRunner
12-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Date: Saturday Jan. 14th, 2012
Meeting Time: 9:00 am - Leave at 9:30

Meeting Place: Cemetery area half mile above (west) of Central City-the normal spot. Meet for Pizza at Beau Jo's for pizza in Idaho Springs after the run. Around 4:30-5:30pm.

CB Channel 4 - Ham 146460
Will will air down and/or chain up (if your using chains) at the meeting place. Many elect to not use chains.

Larger built rigs with winches can leave ahead of the main group closer to 9am. This should be a fairly small group.

Difficulty - this run is open to everyone. You just may not get as far as some. The only requirement is to have hard points front and rear for strapping purposes and of course a strap ready to go. A shovel and additional recovery gear is recommended.

Be prepared to stay warm and dry with winter clothing and boots. It can be really cold and windy up there.

Snow conditions are pretty light so far. Hopefully we will get more snow.

Here are a few tips based on previous snow runs put together by Leiniesred

#1 Be safe. Be situational aware of the danger zones around winch lines and snatch straps. There is a lot of mass and sometimes a lot of velocity involved in these recoveries.
#2 Air down. I mean way down. Not lose a bead low, but as close as you can get it. Me? I run 5-7 psi on my early 4runner.
#3 Bring a shovel with a long handle for reaching under the trucks.
#4 Stay hydrated. Wheelin' with a headache sucks.
#5 Line up with similar weight and build level trucks. Biggest to smallest with a sturdy anchor truck in the rear works best.
#6 This is an all day event. Come prepared. There is no gas station in Blackhawk! If you come up the creek, there is a gas station about 7 miles before Blackhawk on the LEFT. Can't miss it. If you take the Central City parkway, go into Idaho Springs for fuel. I've burned 8 gallons in 10 miles of brutal snow wheeling.
#7 There are two ways to snow wheel. First, try super slow and try to stay on top of the snow. Once the crust is broken, you will want to go as fast as you can without hitting the trees. You'll need momentum to make it though many sections.
#8 WORK THE WHEEL! As you start to bog down, rapidly steer left and right. This will keep the tires biting into fresh snow on the sides of the ruts and widen the path for the rear wheels to follow in too.
#9 When you feel the revs kick up when you are not moving, you are PROBABLY done. No need to keep spinning the tires. That just makes it harder to get out.
#10 Have a good attitude and it'll be a lot more fun.

FJBRADY
12-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Wooo Hoooo :hill:.....now if it would only snow.

Caribou Sandstorm
12-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Yikes gotta have at least a lift and tires by this time.

Kenon698
12-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Looking forward to it. Saved the date on my new RS calendar. Come on snow.

RockRunner
12-14-2011, 12:35 AM
Hope to be there.

bh4rnnr
12-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Putting it on the calendar:cool:.

kurtnkegger
12-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Never ever ever ever wheeled in the snow. Are chains required, or is airdown enough??

subzali
12-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Can o' worms, Kurt ;)

In my personal experience, my aired-down tires will take me to a point. My chains have always taken me beyond that point. But what do I know.

farnhamstj
12-15-2011, 09:19 PM
I remember well the year I got towed out by a snowcat with 2 Tacomas strapped to my rear bumper.

Chains not required. Bring them if you have them, but don't go out and buy any.

Good tow strap, good recovery points, good attitude, and some warm clothes.

Air Randy
12-16-2011, 09:17 AM
And a shovel :D

TIMZTOY
12-16-2011, 09:00 PM
got her running.. so if i can source up a front drive shaft by then ill be going

Old40Dog
12-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Plan to be there with a good tow strap, good recovery points, good attitude, warm clothes, chains and a least one shovel. :smokin:

waggoner5
12-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Im in.

Rezarf
12-18-2011, 09:09 PM
I am planning on being there.

TIMZTOY
12-20-2011, 08:54 PM
im making my own extended dirve shaft now. so ill be there
just hope my clutch makes it.

baja1d
12-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Thinking about triying to make this happen but I'm getting off duty that morning. Where & at what time are you guys meeting?

JadeRunner
12-24-2011, 11:56 PM
I will post more details on the run in a few days. I'm pretty sure Yankee Hill will be a go after the recent snow.

TonkaToy
12-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Planning on attending. Built some tube fenders and I am repainting everything today. I will be there as long as the paint works out. I am using Durabak for the repaint and it could be sketchy! I may have a Jeep or two that would like to join us. Would that be OK?

farnhamstj
12-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Out. Got work. What's that phrase, "make hay while the sun shines"

JadeRunner
12-28-2011, 04:58 PM
I just updated the 1st post with current info reflecting Yankee Hill and Beau Jo's.

Red_Chili
12-28-2011, 05:56 PM
I hope to be in! I'll have to staub the coolant leak (hope it is just the tstat cover). But before that I gotta organize the garage so I can GET to the tstat cover!!!

Jonesin' to wheel frankly.

Bruiser
01-01-2012, 01:07 PM
I am planning on coming

bgoodheart
01-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Planning on being there

Jacket
01-06-2012, 11:24 AM
I plan on being there.

baja1d
01-10-2012, 08:21 AM
I'll be there in the 80. This is my first wheeling trip with you guys so any tips would be greatly appreciated. I think that I'm prepared but may need some help refilling tires. I'm not sure if I'll have my on-board air running by Saturday.

FJBRADY
01-10-2012, 08:31 AM
I'll be there in the 80. This is my first wheeling trip with you guys so any tips would be greatly appreciated. I think that I'm prepared but may need some help refilling tires. I'm not sure if I'll have my on-board air running by Saturday.

Right on! As for reairing, I carry a spare electric pump your welcome to use....just takes a bit longer.

Tips: have fun!

baja1d
01-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks Steve. Your post reminded me that I had ordered Tusnami Pump awhile back for on-board air on the 40. Since I haven't installed it yet I think that I'm good. I recall that some folks had made some modifications to this little pump but I can't find their post. I just opened the box for the first time and it looks like it's ready to rock. Am I missing something? Maybe it was that they wanted to run an auxillary air tank/tools?

Kipper
01-10-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm in

JadeRunner
01-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Wow, their coming out of the woodwork for this annual tradition. It should be fun.

I'm hoping to run up their tomorrow to scout out some side trail options to explore. Maps and GPS's may come in handy.

Pizza is all lined up. I haven't asked them yet. But, I will ask Sascha and Brady help me out on the morning head count and checking all the rigs for hard points and obvious issues.

I'm in

Bruiser
01-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Does Beau Jo's have TV's. Kind of a big game happening this weekend that I don't want to miss.

Justin

JadeRunner
01-11-2012, 12:22 AM
Not sure about a TV wherever they put us. I'll be recording the Bronco game and will be looking forward to getting home to watch it. If we don't have any breakage and get out a little early we wont have a problem getting home by 6pm. for the game.

Red_Chili
01-11-2012, 08:45 AM
:gaah:
Rats, doesn't look good for me. Have had no opportunity to fix my coolant leak, which may be very simple (seal the tstat housing) or more complex (replace the water pump which would tick me off seeing as how I put a new one in for the swap).

On the other hand the home projects are shaping up nicely... :rolleyes:

FJBRADY
01-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Pizza is all lined up. I haven't asked them yet. But, I will ask Sascha and Brady help me out on the morning head count and checking all the rigs for hard points and obvious issues.

No problemo.....I just hope Sascha isn't the obvious issue. :lmao:

Gerdo
01-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Wow, their coming out of the woodwork for this annual tradition. It should be fun.

OUCH, splinter.
Are you talking about me?!
I'm checking my schedule now.

nakman
01-11-2012, 03:09 PM
:gaah:
Rats, doesn't look good for me. Have had no opportunity to fix my coolant leak, which may be very simple (seal the tstat housing) or more complex (replace the water pump which would tick me off seeing as how I put a new one in for the swap).

On the other hand the home projects are shaping up nicely... :rolleyes:

Don't you have another 4runner? Enter the race in the lightly modified stock class for a change, you might like it! :D

I'm hoping to show for a bit, will need to stay in back as I need to be back up north for a bday party :rolleyes:.

BlackBetty
01-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Im in...see yall where the sun is shining

Red_Chili
01-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Don't you have another 4runner? Enter the race in the lightly modified stock class for a change, you might like it! :D

I'm hoping to show for a bit, will need to stay in back as I need to be back up north for a bday party :rolleyes:.
LOL
I did think about it, for more than a passing minute.
But Green Chili's skins are... uh... sparse. Can't see cords yet, but... I just don't think I would enjoy it. The bumper is not properly attached either, that could be a disaster. Hey maybe part of Saturday I will get Red going again, who knows?

RLMS
01-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Just put in a CB and a radio< in case I need to listen to the game> in betty blue, so Jay and I will be coming!!!:hill:

Justin

BlackBetty
01-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Anyone thinking that a full tank in my fjc wont be sufficient? Appreciate the advice!:cheers:

FJCDan
01-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Anyone thinking that a full tank in my fjc wont be sufficient? Appreciate the advice!:cheers:

No problem, I think I still had 1/2 tank after last years trip. Looking forward to this again, just hope there is some snow up there.:thumb:

60wag
01-12-2012, 11:53 AM
As of last Sunday, there was still plenty of snow in the Switzerland Trail area. It had a significant crust formed on top (4") with lots of powder underneath. Just the right conditions to stop my truck cold. The axles ran up on the crust and the tires just spun in the powder.

Uncle Ben
01-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Trail conditions on Yankee are superb! I'm sure Yoder will pipe in. You guys are gonna have a great time!

RockRunner
01-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Trail conditions on Yankee are superb! I'm sure Yoder will pipe in. You guys are gonna have a great time!

UB what should I run, 40's or 37's??? Would like to drive the Runner up there instead of tow it but ???

Uncle Ben
01-12-2012, 09:44 PM
UB what should I run, 40's or 37's??? Would like to drive the Runner up there instead of tow it but ???

Which ones work best in snow? I would think the 37s would be fine

JadeRunner
01-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Conditions are good I must say. High up and on the norther slopes in the trees the snow is quite deep. The wind has made for some fun drifts.

Certain areas very very cold and windy. Everyone bring their ski clothes, snowsuits or whatever to stay warm.

We didn't bust the big drift at the playground nor try\winch the final section near the top in the trees. That will be fun. The main road up to that point can be done by most everyone. The spur roads will make for the challenges for people with winches and big tires. We both had to winch twice to get back up one of the spur roads. See pics.

It going to be fun.

Gerdo
01-13-2012, 08:52 AM
It's not going to happen for me this year.

JadeRunner
01-13-2012, 08:58 AM
That's too bad Gerdo. It would have been nice to have another 3rf gen on the trail. They seem to be rare on the trail these days.

We also hope to see the Red Chili's up there. Come late of you have too. Get er done.

Red_Chili
01-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Glad yer thinkin' of me! But it won't happen. I can't even GET to the Chili in my garage yet, much less fix her.
I do have the batteries on a charger though... :angelhalo:
The task this weekend now that the carpet is in is... to organize the garage and be able to get to things.

Hulk
01-13-2012, 11:22 PM
I'm not going to make it. I have to work all weekend. :(

BlackBetty
01-14-2012, 08:29 PM
HAD A GREAT TIME>>>>>Thank You very much for organizing the event!!

baja1d
01-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Awesome trip!!! I'll post some pictures in the next day or two

BlackBetty
02-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Did anyone get any pics of me pulling out the H1? No one seems to believe that my little rig could do it.....