PDA

View Full Version : Daily driver: What would you do?

OilHammer
12-16-2011, 01:29 PM
40 is my current daily, but I don't want to do that to it anymore.
I was thinking I would take my wife's LX450 as a daily, but it def needs some PM, and I'm not sure if I should pony up to have the HG done or not.
If I take the 450, then I need to get the wife something else. I was thinking a 100 series, but I can't really afford "new". A 2003 would be nice, but it's a bit of a stretch with her jobless at the moment. If I did 2003, I really don't have money to do the HG on the 450. If I buy older, then I don't have time to keep up maint on 4 trucks. I used to have a cardinal rule of an old truck...only as a secondary play toy, never a daily you have to depend on. So, my current situation is not sustainable...too much maint and I can't afford to pay someone else to do it all. I pretty much need something I won't have to touch other than oil/brakes for the next 3 years. So, 100 in good shape, or something else entirely? I actually considered a fairly new subaru for her, but she really doesn't like low slung cars.

wesintl
12-16-2011, 01:52 PM
datsun b-210..:confused:

FWIW i don't think a HG replacement is necessary preventive main on 80's. Sure there are a few that blow at 150k but there are probably 100x more that seem to go to 250k +

get her a TDI wagon ;)

Caribou Sandstorm
12-16-2011, 01:53 PM
Well, you and I have talked a bunch about this but my two cents would be get a low mileage 100 series of the year you can afford.

I know ours is 01 and does not have the 5 speed, etc..but we love it and with the low miles, I am not anticipating any major stuff to deal with for some time.

knock on wood..

If you get a 100, then Mary can drive for a while until it is time to retire the 80 LX and you could then wheel the 100...Kind of like a built in upgrade plan.

Mary gets a new ride and you get her left overs! That is a win/win!

OilHammer
12-16-2011, 01:57 PM
I agree it's a win win on upgrade path, and she does like the 100's.
What I can't stomach is any more major projects for a while. I have been completely swamped by the house lately, and I really need to be spending time studying for my lic exams.
With all 4 trucks needing some heavy hours right now, I'm feeling very overwhelmed.

Wes, I was thinking the same thing...that the Mud forum has everyone super nervous about doing HG's. I think it's nuts to take an engine apart that isn't showing signs of that now. I would much rather spend a few hours cleaning EGR parts and putting a new valve cover gasket on, than spending 2 grand and being w/o a truck for a week on an HG that may not be needed for another 30k. (I have 168k on it now). My question on HG is always this: How do you know it was failing by looking at a gasket that just got ripped apart as you took the head off? If it didn't actually fail, you can't necessarily say it was about to. Hell, we all know if mine fails it will be replaced with a diesel anyway, and that 2 grand goes a long way towards that. :)

subzali
12-16-2011, 02:09 PM
1HD-T in the LX Barry? :)

Tough choice. A well-cared for 100 might not need much maintenance. You can take your time baselining.

I'll tell you what though: my wife's '09 Corolla S is a neat little car, and is very economical. Maybe your wife doesn't like low-riders, but what about you (this all started because you wanted a different DD right?)? Let her keep the LX, buy yourself a commuter (personally for my DD I would probably lean toward a Honda Civic rather than a Corolla, or since you like diesel maybe go Jetta like Wes). You have enough 4x4s to make it to work when it snows. Then maybe you can buy yourself some time/money to get caught up on PM, then spring for a 2003+ 100 in a couple years when they drop a little bit more.

ScaldedDog
12-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Newer Outback. Not really "low slung", minimal maintenance required (depending on how you define "newer"), goes anywhere.

Mark

Hulk
12-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Buy a Honda car/SUV/minivan for a DD with less than 100k miles. Maintenance is infrequently needed and usually inexpensive. Plus it will get decent MPG.

Jacket
12-16-2011, 04:10 PM
I agree with the Subaru or Honda options. Both will require a timing belt service at around 100-120k miles though (as will a 100 I guess), and many Honda's have transmission issues when you get between 100-200k miles.

OilHammer
12-16-2011, 05:17 PM
That's the nutty part there. Through USAA, I could buy a brand new WRX for the same $$$ as a nice 2003 cruiser/lx
That's years of no maintenance but timing belt on the 03 would hit in a year or two and used cars are higher interest than new. Crazy. I also looked at civic Si but nobody has one and the wife axed it anyway.

nakman
12-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Barry you'll likely hate my opinion but here goes: sell the 40- put it on Ebay where you can get top dollar, then pay cash for whatever your wife wants to drive. Sell the 80 too, then buy the platform for whatever you want to wheel & daily drive. For some reason I don't see you as an 80 guy, especially an LX. I dunno... maybe more of a Troopie guy? How about buy one of Treeroot's 45LV's and put a diesel in it. Then drive the 45 around until you get it up and running for your new DD, so you can park that 45 again.

Your 40 is drop dead gorgeous, but not a practical DD, and like we talked about in the Maze it's kinda small for how you like to use it. And I think the pickup is way cooler, if you can only have one beautiful collector-worthy truck to hold onto as a collector. If you disagree then swap 40 for 45 but the argument's the same. But I think your 40 is in its prime, and would give you a lot to work with today if you could bear to part with it.

farnhamstj
12-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Wife and I went from 78 fj40, '02 tacoma, had baby '98 100 series.
Count this as a vote for nicest 100 series you can afford.

nattybumppo
12-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Isn't a WRX a hotrod? Are you feeling the need for speed? That's a big change from a cruiser of any vintage...and the WRXs don't get the mileage a regular Subie or a Honda would...

Inukshuk
12-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Don't believe the HG issue? Come to my house. Guys, the HGs cut loose.

That being said, you can fix them

OilHammer
12-17-2011, 10:05 AM
I know that HG can fail, just doubt it's as widespread an issue that mud sells.
I'm also not saying I won't replace mine at some point.
You know, my dad has a fiber optic inspection camera. I would bet that quick inspection at oil change time down the spark holes would tell a lot. Could also do oil analysis.
So, if a 100 has 120k on it, what's to be expected in maintain for the next 3 years?

OilHammer
12-17-2011, 10:06 AM
You know, my dad has a fiber optic inspection camera. I would bet that quick inspection at oil change time down the spark holes would tell a lot. Could also do oil analysis.
So, if a 100 has 120k on it, what's to be expected in maintain for the next 3 years?

Romer
12-17-2011, 10:39 AM

If its had the 90K service, just regular fluids and filters

Also depends on the condition of the CV boots, but you can reboot a CV axle for $28 in parts yourself and its much easier than doing an 80 front end.

Is your 450 burning oil? Have you done the bubble test to see if oil is mixed with coolant? I wouldnt be concerned. If it fails, you can replace then.

The oil burn in mine was not a HG issue, but while it was off, Robbie machined the head and replaced some of the valves in the head and it went from burning 1qt of oil a month to not burning any in 5 years

When I had the 40 and the 80, I sold the 40 to build up the 80 the way I wanted it and drove it for another 6 years with no regrets

I sold both the 80 and the BMW to buy the 100 and get it modded quickly to the way I wanted it and have no regrets.

I wish I could have kept all the rigs, but I would do it again

There is a logic to cutting down the herd to get something the way you want it. I intend to buy a 40 in the future, but after Sarah graduates college and when I have the dedicated garage space to slowly build it the way I want it.

It comes down to what can you afford and what would make you happy. The 80 was awesome, but the features of the 100 are really nice. The difference in the SFA and IFS for what I have been wheeling isnt that big a deal. I wanted a rig I could wheel and would be very comfortable for my day to day driving.

60wag
12-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Does your wife want to drive a Land Cruiser? You said she doesn't like low slung cars so maybe a stock 100 would be a good choice. OTOH, while I love driving the 80 around, it's nice to have an alt car that'll do 30 mpg with a 220HP engine (SAAB 9-5). My wife won't drive the Cruiser unless she has too. Maybe a smaller ute like a GX470 would be a compromise that is a bit tall but gets respectable gas milage.

OilHammer
12-18-2011, 04:14 PM
We did drive a gx and decided it was too short. She does like driving the 450, and has expressed interest in the 03 lx470.

DenCo40
12-18-2011, 04:43 PM
I recently had a similar thought about driving my 40 every day. I have been driving it for a long time. I thought about buying a 100 for daily use or even an 80 if I could find one under 300K miles. But then I like the thought of possibility hauling my cruiser on a trailer so that took the 80 out of the question for me. I settled on a late model Tundra with a 5.7 TRD package. So far I like it. It really gets decent mileage for a V8 I am getting 19 on the freeway. Sure dont miss the cold mornings waiting for the 2F to heat up!;)

OilHammer
02-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Decided not to do HG as PM afterall. The bottom line is that the 1FZ power is not really what I would want it to be, so if the HG actually goes, I'll deal with it then. I plan on buying a scanner with an alarm to monitor the water temp. Something goes south, shut it down quick.

On the other side, fired up the 45 yesterday. Prepping it for sale this spring, and researching what I want to do. Might have found the perfect solution.
Diesel, LHD, legal to import NOW, longer wheelbase...throw some links under this with coilovers and we have a winner. In this scenario, I would sell my 45 and the 40, but keep the PTO and cable lockers to swap out with the Bandy's stuff. Will be contacting my Brazilian buddy about this one asap. :)

subzali
02-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Wish I could buy both your 40 and your 45 if you go that route :(

DanS
02-06-2012, 09:43 PM
On the other side, fired up the 45 yesterday. Prepping it for sale this spring, and researching what I want to do. Might have found the perfect solution.
Diesel, LHD, legal to import NOW, longer wheelbase...throw some links under this with coilovers and we have a winner. In this scenario, I would sell my 45 and the 40, but keep the PTO and cable lockers to swap out with the Bandy's stuff. Will be contacting my Brazilian buddy about this one asap. :)

Only if you promise to keep that spare tire cover. :lmao:

Very cool. I'm sure your 40 would sell with the quickness, even without the cable locking goodies or PTO bits...

Dan

RockRunner
02-06-2012, 10:31 PM
What about a 4runner or a Sequoia? Two different size rigs but they both hold up well. I like the Troopie, I think that is what it is, but that tire cover has to go. You can use it as an oil drip pan.

That rig does look very nice.

OilHammer
02-07-2012, 10:48 AM
It's not a troopie, it's a mid wheelbase bandeirante. It's stretched about 18" but with no rear overhang like the troopies. I need to look up the wheelbase on those, but I know from my 45 that the extra length really reduces the bouncing effect going down the road. Seller says it has a 14B engine in it, but refuses to send pics....hmmm....

IIRC, the 14B is the larger displacement version of what I have, but with an indirect injection head, and a rotary pump.

Hulk
02-07-2012, 10:32 PM
How do you get it to the states? Do you fly down there and drive it back??

Caribou Sandstorm
02-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Decided not to do HG as PM afterall. The bottom line is that the 1FZ power is not really what I would want it to be, so if the HG actually goes, I'll deal with it then. I plan on buying a scanner with an alarm to monitor the water temp. Something goes south, shut it down quick.

Looks water proof to me! :)

OilHammer
02-08-2012, 10:46 AM
How do you get it to the states? Do you fly down there and drive it back??

All the way through C.A.??? Heck no. Same way I got all the diesels in from Japan, container shipping. The trick is finding someone you trust to drop it at the shipping hub. Always a bit tricky there, but mud usually has some friendly people networked together. I'm still trying to work out the currency conversion though to understand what he wants for it. Says $R 49.000
It's a period, and not a comma. I thought rio was on the Euro, but I think the R means it's the local currency. If you take that . as a , and convert from Rio to USD, it's pushing $30k!! Ack...not going to happen if that's the case. Portuguese is a hard language to translate too, so in talking with him, it's much harder to understand than straight up Spanish.

I really want the 4 door, but it's not for sale. :(

gr8fulabe
02-08-2012, 01:24 PM
The "." is a comma. That's how most of the rest of the world does it. Those things are super expensive down there still, so 30k wouldn't surprise me. Imports & exports with. Brazil can be tricky & expensive too, so that doesn't help much either.

OilHammer
02-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Well, it is super clean, and diesel. It does have the 14B, though not turbo, is direct injected and actually has as much torque as my turbo 13BT. Doubt my 40 would sell for $30k though, and as you mentioned, I would still have shipping, customs, etc. Those fees add up quick. You can figure at least another $3k in fees/shipping for something that large. Driving it back would be fun, but not really. Lot of sketchy countries along the way and I'm pretty gringo.