PDA

View Full Version : How does water/mud enter the elocker motor?

Jacket
12-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Curious for experiences from those of you that have had issues with elocker motors getting wet, dirty or corroded inside the motor. How does the dirt and moisture get inside the motor housing? Breather tube? Bad seal around the housing? Something else?

Beater
12-21-2011, 01:56 PM
well, yes, all of those things. water always takes the path of least resistance.

TIMZTOY
12-21-2011, 07:30 PM
well, yes, all of those things. water always takes the path of least resistance.

i second that motion...

Jacket
12-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Well thanks guys. I didn't sleep through Fluids class...

Let me try and clarify - has anyone actually seen the FIPG between the motor sides fail, or is it typically the breather tube that gets "penetrated" and lets fluid in? Or is there another possible way for water to get in there that I'm not thinking of?

Another question - where does the locker actuator breather tube terminate on an 80 rear axle? It comes out of the locker motor, connects to the joint a few inches away, and then the main tube enters one of the wire looms that heads up toward the frame, but I haven't pulled the wire bundle apart to try and find the end of the breather tube.

TIMZTOY
12-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Well thanks guys. I didn't sleep through Fluids class...

Let me try and clarify - has anyone actually seen the FIPG between the motor sides fail, or is it typically the breather tube that gets "penetrated" and lets fluid in? Or is there another possible way for water to get in there that I'm not thinking of?

Another question - where does the locker actuator breather tube terminate on an 80 rear axle? It comes out of the locker motor, connects to the joint a few inches away, and then the main tube enters one of the wire looms that heads up toward the frame, but I haven't pulled the wire bundle apart to try and find the end of the breather tube.

ive got elockers on my pickup.. my breathers are only about 4" long then terminate with a cap..
i havent seen any issues with the elockers personally while working for toyota regarding water and the electronic motor. i would have to say the tube is more likelly than the FIPG

just take it apart, clean it, lube it, and reseal it..

RockRunner
12-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Motors are easy to take apart, hell I did it, but you have to watch the way the motor is after you pull it. When I took mine apart I found liquid in the airline and a rusted top. The connectors were totally rusted and I replaced them with the little copper battery connectors from an old remote. Also after a while the O-ring will dry and rot, Toyota does not sell any parts for the motor just the whole assembly. If you want to look at one I still have my old motor I repaired as a triple backup.

Jacket
12-27-2011, 06:55 PM
According to this page:

http://george4wd.taskled.com/difflock.html

The rear locker motor breather tube runs up through the wire loom that parallels the driver side frame, and then enters the body in the rear access panel above the driver side rear tire.

So if you had a breather tube running into the body, and a rear diff that did not have any water in it, how might water enter the locker motor?

Theories?

RockRunner
12-27-2011, 08:20 PM
The O-ring that is in between the motor and locker body leaks too. They rot as they get old.